Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion SLE for Miroslav: section problem and other questions

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion SLE for Miroslav: section problem and other questions

Postby jochenfkb » Wed May 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Hello everyone, I am a total newbie with Notion, and I have some questions which probably can be answered by experienced users.

1.) and most important one:

I load a section ,for example Strings II for Viola, Cello and Double Bass, in a new score. Then I create a basic staff, and immediately a warning on the Mixer button appears that tells me:'part sounds not installed'. In spite of this everything plays back correctly, so the sounds are there. So I went to the preferences dialog and tried different variations of the sample folder textbox. The folder where the samples of Miroslav are located, the folder where the Miroslav.exe is located and finally the folder where the Miroslav VST.dll is located. Always the same result (with some crashes while changing the folder). When I open the mixer, I see that there are channel strips for the parts, but all audio action comes from the 'Strings II' channel strip. So I cannot for example pan the different instruments. Next problem (probably related to the first one) is that when I tell the Double Bass staff to playback the notes an octave lower in the staff settings nothing happens. Also transposing instruments like Trumpet or Clarinet are not transposed (yes, I have clicked transposed view).

When I load a single preset everything works. Any idea?

2.) By the way: Transposing instruments

the manual says that transposing instruments are transposed automatically, ok. But there are Trumpets in Bb, in C, in D, Clarinets in Bb and Eb, so choosing a trumpet does not always mean this is a Bb Trumpet. How can I set up a transposing staff manually?

3.) Bug or feature?

When I load the piano preset I see that the Miroslav interface has loaded the same piano patch in 11 different slots covering 1 GB of RAM. To me one piano is enough. What is that good for?

Help is very appreciated, especially for item #1.

Thanks in advance
Jochen
jochenfkb

Re: Notion SLE for Miroslav: section problem and o

Postby fabiolcati » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 pm

jochenfkb wrote:2.) Transposing instruments
The manual says that transposing instruments are transposed automatically, ok. But there are Trumpets in Bb, in C, in D, Clarinets in Bb and Eb, so choosing a trumpet does not always mean this is a Bb Trumpet. How can I set up a transposing staff manually?

Help is very appreciated, especially for item #1.

Hi Jochen.

Sorry, I can try to help you only on item #2.

1. Go to Edit score mode.
2. Create a new staff or select the one you want to modify its trasposition settings.
3. Click on first icon at left (Image 1)
4. Say you want to work with clarinet. If on a new staff, first assign the instrument to it (Image 2)
5. Switch to Notation/Tab (Image 3)
6. Choose trasposition' rules
7. Exit Score Setup mode

Look also to this thread:

http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=424&start=0

Hope it helps
Attachments
Image 1.png
Image 1.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
Image 2.png
Image 2.png (72.54 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
Image 3.png
Image 3.png (113.49 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Re: Notion SLE for Miroslav: section problem and other questions

Postby jochenfkb » Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

Hallo Fabio,

I already know this procedure. But will this also change the key signature of the staff? To stay with the Bb clarinet: A song in C Major should be D Major for the clarinet. And if the transposing does not change the key signature, can I do this manually?

Thanks for your help.
Jochen
jochenfkb

Postby fabiolcati » Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 am

jochenfkb wrote:But will this also change the key signature of the staff?

Hi Jochen.
Yes, if you look at your score in proper view (transposed, concert tuning or concert pitch).
I quote myself from the thread previously point out:
1. A Bb Clarinet staff showing D minor key in a C minor score is right, when viewed as *Transposed*.

2a. Entering notes in *Concert Tuning* view gives you actual pitches in actual key signature for the composition (eg. all instruments with a *three flats set* for C minor) written at proper place in a printed score (eg. a piccolo playing C7 is shown as C6), without transposition.

2b. *Concert Pitch* is same as 2a but notes are written at their actual pitch on the scale of sounds (eg. a piccolo playing C7 is shown as C7).

3. Check you've entered the key segnature as global at the beginning of your work, with *Enter all parts* checked. I mean: don't set clarinets' staff to D minor key individually, to avoid the double transposition issue (see above)

Hope it helps
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby jochenfkb » Fri May 07, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks Fabio,

I will check this out later. But as long as I cannot open section presets correctly, the transposing stuff is a minor problem. Next week I am going to contact support, if nobody in the forum knows a solution for my issue.

Have a nice weekend
Jochen
jochenfkb

Return to NOTION