Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion VST ID Solution

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion VST ID Solution

Postby boterwisk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Greetings for all Notion users, i found a way to know the VST ID and is the following:
1. Download a little program called VSTHost, http://www.hermannseib.com/programs/vsthost.zip
2. Open VSTHost.exe and in the file menu select, new plugin, and load the plugin you want to know ID.
3. When the plugin is loaded on the program appears a little window, clic in the button info (I)
4. In the info window, look for "Unique ID" and that's the ID you need, but in Hexagesimal
5. Go to this page, http://www.parkenet.com/apl/HexDecConverter.html and put the ID WITHOUT THE FINAL H
6. And the decimal result is the ID you need in Notion Rules file.

Examples:
Kontakt 4: 4E696B34 (Hexagesimal) = 1315531572 (Decimal)
GVI: 47564978 (Hexagesimal) = 1196837240 (Decimal)
boterwisk

Re: Notion VST ID Solution

Postby 4tune » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks! :)
4tune

Postby sepheritoh » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks!
sepheritoh

Postby cbandla » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Does anyone know an equivalent program for use with the mac? I'm trying to find the plugin id for kontakt 4 for the mac.

Cbandla
cbandla

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:14 pm

boterwisk wrote:Examples:
Kontakt 4: 4E696B34 (Hexagesimal) = 1315531572 (Decimal)
GVI: 47564978 (Hexagesimal) = 1196837240 (Decimal)

Great!

However, the correct term is "hexadecimal", which maps to base 16, as contrasted to decimal (base 10) or binary (base 2) . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. Hexagesimal is base 60, and while the VST ID might be hexagesimal or something similar, since it is a four-character value, which maps at least to 52 characters for the alphabet (26 for lower case and 26 for upper case), once it finds it way into a file, it is stored in binary format, but typically is displayed for programming purposes hexadecimal format, since this is an excellent way to transform something very simple into something that is as confusing as possible, which tends to be one of the primary goals of many computer programmers . . .

If the GVI VST ID were a hexagesimal number it would be huge, since from right to left each position maps to a power of whatever the base happens to be, which for hexagesimal maps to the leftmost "4" being 4 times (60 raised to the 7th power), which is 11,197,440,000,000 as a decimal number . . .

For example, consider the decimal number "429" . . .

The rightmost value is 9 times (10 raised to the 0th power, which is 1), while the second position value is 2 times (10 raised to the 1st power, which is 10), and the leftmost position value is 4 times (10 raised to the 2nd power, which is 100), so determining the power is a matter of counting {0, 1, 2, 3, . . . , n} from right to left, although yet another thing that happens depending on the microprocessor architecture is that the order of things can be reversed, which is the "Big Endian" and "Little Endian" thing, where Intel x86 processors use Little Endian but Motorola PPC processors use Big Endian, where "Endianness" derives from a bit of FUN that Jonathan Swift had in "Gulliver's Travels" with the two ends of an egg, where one end is the "Little End" but the other end is the "Big End", which eventually found its way into the universe of computers, since it is sufficiently abstruse and silly to be amusing to computer geeks and nerds:

Endianness (wikipedia)

Code: Select all
10^0 = 1
10^1 = 10
10^2 = 100

(4 x [10^2]) + (2 x [10^1]) + (9 x [10^0]) = (4 x 100) + (2 x 10) + (9 x 1)

(4 x 100) + (2 x 10) + (9 x 1) = 429

Fabulous! :ugeek:
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:19 pm

cbandla wrote:Does anyone know an equivalent program for use with the mac? I'm trying to find the plugin id for kontakt 4 for the mac.

Cbandla

This is a calculator for the Mac that does binary, decimal, and hexadecimal conversions, and it is a freeware widget developed by Rob Rohan. It is available at the Apple webite:

Hex Calculator Widget (Apple)

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby cbandla » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Oops, sorry. I was referring to VST Host. I've tried VSTAU Manager and HostX, but they don't report the plugin id. I'm looking for the plugin id for Kontakt 4 to use in some custom rules.

Cbandla
cbandla

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:03 pm

cbandla wrote:Oops, sorry. I was referring to VST Host. I've tried VSTAU Manager and HostX, but they don't report the plugin id. I'm looking for the plugin id for Kontakt 4 to use in some custom rules.

Cbandla

If you need the four-character value, which is my best guess based on what you wrote, then there is a way to derive it from the hexdecimal VST ID . . .

Kontakt 4: 4E696B34 (Hexadecimal)

Each pair of hexadecimal numbers should map to an alphabetic or perhaps alphanumeric character . . .

4E 69 6B 34

The only problem is that there are a lot of possible character sets, but if it is the ASCII character set, then you can find the characters in an ASCII table:

ASCII Printable Characters (wikipedia)

If this character set is ASCII, then this is the mapping:

4E = N
69 = i
6B = k
34 = 4

However, without knowing the character set of the VST ID, all I can do is guess, which generally is not the best strategy . . .

Nevertheless, doing a bit of web searching led to finding a few other references to the VST ID for Kontakt 4 being "Nik4", so it appears that I made a good guess, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby cbandla » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Sounded reasonable but it didn't work. The id works as expected on vista but kontakt didn't respond to keyswitches on the mac.

Cbandla
cbandla

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:27 am

cbandla wrote:Sounded reasonable but it didn't work. The id works as expected on vista but kontakt didn't respond to keyswitches on the mac.

Cbandla

QUESTION: Can you provide more information on what you want to do, being as specific as possible, including examples of XML rules or MIDI instructions?

I put in a request to be a VST developer, but I have not yet heard back from Steinberg, and I have not been able to find the specifications for VST files for the Mac anywhere on the web, so there is not much I can do at present to provide more help . . .

There are several possibilities, but it depends on the specifics of what you want to do, where one possibility is that the Kontakt 4 VST ID is correct but there is a problem with the XML rule or MIDI instruction, so nothing happens . . .

And I have no idea if this is what you are trying to do, really . . .

Really!

My general strategy when investigating something is to devise a simple experiment, where if you are trying to do something with XML rules or MIDI instructions, then select something simple that is known to work, and then experiment with using different values and parameters . . .

If changing the volume is known to work, then try changing only the volume . . .

If it is a problem with XML rules or MIDI instructions, then there are some experts who can help, but the reality here in the sound isolation studio at present is that I have no expertise on XML rules and MIDI instructions, other than perhaps being able to look at an XML file and determine whether the tags match with respect to start and end, as well as any nesting . . .

Lots of FUN . . .
:geek:

P. S. As a general practice, the more detailed information you provide, the more likely someone will be able to help discover a solution, and especially when working on a problem remotely via a FORUM discussion or telephone conversation, the reality is that nobody can see what you are doing, which makes everything a mystery . . .

And some of the stuff on the Mac is stored in different places than on a Windows machine, and there are other platform specific behaviors, but generally you should be able to do the same things on a Windows machine as on a Mac . . .

The locations of files and other stuff will be different, but NOTION 3 behaviors should be the same . . .

Another possibility is for someone who has Kontakt 4 on a Windows machine to try to do what you need to do, since there are some utility applications in the Windows universe that provide the information . . .
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Next

Return to NOTION