Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Student Version?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Student Version?

Postby rikp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 pm

I teach at a university and currently use Finale PrintMusic in our labs because of the cheaper price. Any chance that you folks could come up with a similar version of Notion? I would gladly make the switch to Notion for our music students. They must purchase their own copy for my course, and while Notion is a GREAT deal, I feel it is too much for a student to spend on required software for a music technology class.

Thanks for your consideration!

Rik Pfenninger
rikp

Re: Student Version?

Postby rikp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:38 pm

bump :P
rikp

Postby Novatlan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:34 am

I think the main point of Notion are its great samples. I cannot see how one could produce a cheaper version of Notion without eliminating some of the samples, which would be really bad. In my opinion, the SLE versions are just right - I mean, honestly, most of these kids have pirated versions of millions of applications on their machines and spend their money on fags. They can buy _one_ application, just for a change :) :lol: :mrgreen: :D

Such an educational version (in the lines of Sib First) would be great, indeed, but the price point of Notion really isn't that high; I'm a student myself and was easily able to afford it. If it serves the kids to get up from the TV and work a bit to get the money, that's an added bonus, too :)
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby stickwolf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:18 pm

First post here, just starting with Notion.

I'm a teacher, and I think the interface and compositional focus of Notion beats all concerns about sound. I would love for my students to be able to use Notion's interface even with general midi or with freebie VST synths. The sounds may be nice, but it is the satisfying nature of the interface that really is the best part. I'm looking forward to the scaled down Progression and Protege being updated to match the Notion 3 system, and then I hope to be recommending that to my students.
stickwolf

Return to NOTION