Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Step entry over write notes without deleting

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Step entry over write notes without deleting

Postby thesteelydane » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:17 am

The one thing about Notion that is driving me absolutely crazy, is how I can't change a phrase, without deleting the whole bar first. Often the default behaviour when editing is great, re-inputting pitches without chaining the rhythmic value, but the way I write is often developing a simple line, that I then embellish, for example a line in quarter notes that I then turn into eight notes - with the quarter note pitches staying IN THE CORRECT PLACE. As it is, this is not possible without committing the whole bar to memory, deleting it, and rewriting the 8th note line - or is there a way around this?

On the same topic, if I delete a note or selection from the beginning of a bar, why does the rest slide up? How is this in any way helpful? Can it be turned off so that deleting something turns it into rests, like it does in Sibelius? To me, notation software should behave like pencil and paper, so this is driving me crazy. I don't want things to change place, just because I edit something elsewhere in the bar - I don't understand the benefit of this behaviour.

Hope someone can help?
thesteelydane

Re: Step entry over write notes without deleting

Postby ghess1000 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:34 am

I'm not sure any software does what you are asking in step time. You can do it with the mouse pretty easily. To change your quarters to 8ths, choose the 8th note (E), click on the notehead and then enter another 8th between it and the next quarter note. To change a note to a rest type EE and click the note.

Hope that helps.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby thesteelydane » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:58 am

Yes, but if I do that everything downstream from that gets shifted an 8th note in time. If I do it in Sibelius, it will turn the quarter note into an 8th note + an 8th note rest, so that everything stays in place in the bar. Further, in Sibelius, if I change a whole bar of quarter notes into eight notes, it is smart enough to know that what I want is insert rests so that all I'm essentially doing is shortening notes, without changing their position in the bar.

The same problem persists in step time entry. If I enter a bar where something is already written, it will input pitches with the note values already in the bar, no matter what note value I select in the palate. In other words I can't overwrite what 's already there, without first deleting it.
thesteelydane

Postby ghess1000 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "everything" gets shifted. Notion doesn't move notes over a bar line, so if you have 4 quarter notes and change one to an 8th note, it will move the notes in that measure until you add the extra half beat somewhere. But it won't affect other measures. Once you click in another 8th note everything shifts back.

Personally, if I change a quarter note to an 8th note, I don't want the program to automatically add a rest as I have to delete it just as often as use it. It's a feature in Sibelius that I find annoying

Notion isn't Sibelius or Finale. Once you get over that, you'll find that the way it works is the way it works and it's not bad, just different. For me, it's actually a little more pen and pencil-like than either of them.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby thesteelydane » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:38 pm

I hear you - I guess we just work in different ways. What you find a useful feature, I find extremely annoying, to the point of rendering Notion useless, which is a shame because in every other aspect the workflow in Notion is far superior to Sibelius (at least to me). It's great it doesn't shift notes over a bar line, but why not give me the option to turn off shifting things at all. If I write something in pencil on a piece of paper, and then erase a note with a rubber, nothing else changes, except I have a gap, that I can fill with whatever I want. That's how I would would like my notation software to behave. At least give me the option (are you listening, Notion?).

I guess the one thing I can take away from all this, is that this is how Notion behaves and it can't be turned off.
thesteelydane

Return to NOTION