Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Why do you need so much of my personal information

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Why do you need so much of my personal information

Postby JackNolan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:15 pm

I just posted some of my frustrations about trying to activate Progression.

Then I noticed the "register on line" at //techsupport.notionmusic.com

So I tried to use my forum name and user id to get in. It apparently requires a SEPARATE registration. So, I've been sending you my personal information not for over an hour - to one place to register Progression UNSUCCESSFULLY. To another place to register IK Multimedia. To this form. Now to your tech support site? Maybe you should require DNA and stool and urine samples for registration, too. Wouldn't that be useful to you as well? Too bad your software isn't useful to me yet.

Can you feel my frustration, yet!
JackNolan

Re: Why do you need so much of my personal information

Postby pcartwright » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:02 pm

I can understand your frustration of having to sign up for the tech support, the software registration, and the forum... although you should realized that the amplitube plugin and the reverb plugin are made by a different developer. These plugins are bundled with Notion so that you can have a couple of very basic effects.

As far as having different IDs and log-ins for the Notion registration, support, and forum services, I guess I'd have to say get over it. Most of the software companies in my experience (including Sibelius) have similar processes and requirements. I'm not sure what good it will do you to complain on the forum.
pcartwright

Re: Why do you need so much of my personal informa

Postby JackNolan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Actually, complaining peacefully in a public forum when something isn't working the way it should is a very effective way of making positive change. You and I obviously have totally different outlooks on what we are willing to put up with. That's cool. It's a big world and there is room in it for the both of us.

Obviously I admit this stuff isn't a big deal. I can afford to throw away a hundred bucks if I have to. But I simply want the stuff I paid for to work without a lot of hassle! LOL Funny how you make that sound like a selfish thing on my part.

So, on a much grander and more noble scale than this trivial little problem, I wonder what Martin Luther King would have done if everyone told him "get over it" and "I'm not sure what good it will do you to complain."

Rest assured that I will "get over it" but getting the problem fixed one way or another rather than shutting up and putting up.
JackNolan

Postby posssu » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:15 pm

I agree, you're totally allowed to post your frustration here. Might I add that if more people would post their frustration on forums and would therefore ease the registration processes, there might be less violent outbursts in the world. I'm only half-serious.

The thing posted above is as it is: the plugins that come with Notion are 3rd party plugins, so it's understandable that their registeration is separate.

Also, you can mail to support at-sign notionmusic.com to get technical support, the tech. support site isn't the only way to get answers (I didn't even know about it before this thread!)

But yes, they could integrate the tech support with Forum IDs and also forum IDs with Notion neighbourhood. There's certainly room for improvement. But for example with Ableton this happened at the end of last year. And they're at version 8. I assume it's a big process.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby Erufailon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:41 am

You have to wait one day. You are talking like you know it's not gonna work, ever, and noone will help you, just because you have to wait one (1!) day to get hold of support. :roll:
And by the way, I don't remember giving any information besides my e-mail address for forum access. And I also do not have any other professional software that does not require name, address, etc. for registration. Even games require that if you choose to register, and of pricey pro stuff it is very acceptable to require you to register.
Erufailon

Postby JackNolan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 am

Actually, today will be one day. Monday is a holiday and they may or may not be open. Tuesday I have to fly to Eastern Europe for a 4 week trip, I had hoped to enjoy the software on the trip. I may or may not be able to get it working by then.

I spent over an hour trying to activate the software. Each time it asked me for all of the personal information (name, email, address, , license key, phone # - mandatory - many other things optional) BEFORE it gave me the error code. Since I had several unsuccessful events I had to keep typing it in over and over again.

Each time the software required all this information first, BEFORE it failed to active. When it failed to activate, it just shut down. No chance to demo it. No chance to use it without saving, etc. etc. No explanation of why. Just a cryptic Error code 84. Which no one understands.

Regardless of what you say, this in NOT typical behavior of Mac software. This is Windows crap!.

So instead of criticizing me for complaining about paying for something that doesn't work (Stockholm Syndrome ? ), can anyone tell me what Error Code 84 means.
JackNolan

Postby Erufailon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Stockholm syndrome?
Erufailon

Postby posssu » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Stop teasing the poor guy, he's just looking for answers! ;)

I guess the fastest way for this kind of technical problems is to either mail or call the support. The techy guys probably visit the forum less often than their mailbox.

I hope you get past your installation problems, it's an amazing software when it's up and running. Don't give up!
Last edited by posssu on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby Erufailon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:41 am

I'm not teasing, I told him in the progression forum that I also had a similar problem, and it was taken care of very fast once I could get in contact with support, and that it was a problem on server side (though I had an 'unknown error' message, not the one he has), and there was no way an other user could help, so he just has to be patient, as it is not unusual that people don't work on weekends. But I don't think he is right in acting like he payed for something that won't ever work, when the problem hasn't been dealt with at all. And also getting angry over little stuff like these is bad for your health, so I stand by my opinion that he should take it easy.
So I just shared my experience, and tried to give him a peace of mind by telling him that it was solved eventualy. I can even understand him, I'm also the Iwantitnow kinda guy, I can get pretty impatient as well, but it doesn't help.
(And I still don't know what stockholm syndrome has to do with it.)

edit: Is it working now?
Erufailon

Postby astinov » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:23 pm

JackNolan wrote:Actually, today will be one day. Monday is a holiday and they may or may not be open. Tuesday I have to fly to Eastern Europe for a 4 week trip, I had hoped to enjoy the software on the trip. I may or may not be able to get it working by then.

I spent over an hour trying to activate the software. Each time it asked me for all of the personal information (name, email, address, , license key, phone # - mandatory - many other things optional) BEFORE it gave me the error code. Since I had several unsuccessful events I had to keep typing it in over and over again.

Each time the software required all this information first, BEFORE it failed to active. When it failed to activate, it just shut down. No chance to demo it. No chance to use it without saving, etc. etc. No explanation of why. Just a cryptic Error code 84. Which no one understands.

Regardless of what you say, this in NOT typical behavior of Mac software. This is Windows crap!.

So instead of criticizing me for complaining about paying for something that doesn't work (Stockholm Syndrome ? ), can anyone tell me what Error Code 84 means.

Jack,

Nalpeiron may have had some recent downtime because they were moving their server farms around. It was supposed to be over by now. Can you try again and see if it works? You should be able to authorize with no problems today.

Thanks.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Next

Return to NOTION