Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Open Score to Short Score

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Open Score to Short Score

Postby mattg_303 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 am

I am currently studying some 4 part Bach Chorales and i've played them into my notion project in open score format (for SATB), is there an easy way to convert this to a short score version (eg. Piano Grand Staff). I have tried copy and pasting the different lines into the Grand Staff, but it deletes the previous line that has been pasted, even when I select a different voice from the multiple voice settings prior to pasting the new line. I hope this makes sense to someone! :? Thanks.
mattg_303

Re: Open Score to Short Score

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi mattg_303,

Currently, you cannot copy to Voices. It is a nice feature that will hopefully be added in the future.

You will need to enter the notes again into the score. The fastest method of performing this is using the Step-Entry mode. You can toggle through the voices that you are entering into by pressing Command (CTRL) 1,2,3,4 before you enter the notes for voices 1-4.

Regards,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dcd111 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:17 am

Actually, I think the OP can do what they want to do here, you don't need to be able to paste into a voice. If you have two treble cleff staves, and two bass cleff staves, as I think would be expected for SATB, and you intend to paste them into a grand staff with SA on top and TB on the bottom, you can make this work.

Create a new grand staff, and copy and paste your soprano line into it. Then, select your entire Alto staff, right click, and select Tools/Swap Voices. Now, go to the first beat of the treble portion of your grand staff, right click, and select Edit/Paste Insert. You should have Voice 1 and Voice 2 on the treble cleff.

Then, copy and paste your Tenor part to the bass cleff of your Grand Staff. Because Notion treats the upper and lower staves of a Grand Staff as different voices, it should paste fine without overwriting the Treble cleff. Then treat the Bass part the same as the Alto part: swap voices, and paste insert into the bass portion of the grand staff.

The only problem is that this is not reversible, you can't separate out the first and second voices on each staff later into separate staves again. But you can separate out the SA and TB if you wanted by copying and pasting the treble and bass staves separately.

The feature that I would really like to see would be the ability to mass-select notes on a per-voice basis, although pasting into a voice would be useful also.

I think the OP was close, but may not have realized Edit/Paste Insert was available instead of just using Paste.
dcd111

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:36 am

You are correct. The paste insert function does work. It is available from the right-click Edit Menu. This feature allows you to the Short Score version of your task. However, currently, there is not a way to go from the Short Score version to the Expanded SATB version.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION