Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

VSTi channels in Notion 4 mixer

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Controlling Multi-instrument VSTi in Notion Mixer

Postby petrobbb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 am

When setting-up a multi-channel VSTi using basic staffs and channel assignments (as described in User Guide pg 9.11), I can't seem to control the individual instruments in Notion's mixer. Sound from all the channel assigned basic staffs get routed through a single VSTi channel strip. Am I doing something wrong. I'm using Notion 4.0.329 64-bit with Kontakt 5 64-bit.
petrobbb

VSTi channels in Notion 4 mixer

Postby petrobbb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 am

I’m a new Notion 4 user. So far I’m Impressed with what I’ve been able to do in just a short time with this great program.

Recently I’ve jumped in to using my own samples via custom rules and VSTi, as outlined in the user guide and discussion in this forum, and everything seems to work as expected.

However, I’ve noticed that I need multiple instances of a VSTi (one instrument sample or group of samples per VSTi instance) in order to control each instrument in Notion’s mixer. If I use a single VSTi instance and the multi-instrument method described in the user guide on page 9.11, each instrument appears in its own “dead” mixer channel but all of the multi-instrument sounds are combined and routed through only the single working VSTi mixer channel. How do users manage large collections of samples via custom VSTi, do I really have to have separate instances of each VSTi instrument that I want control via the mixer? It looks like you don’t have this restriction when using VSL and other preset sample libraries, so it seems it should be possible to do with your own custom VSTi.
petrobbb

Re: VSTi channels in Notion 4 mixer

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Each loaded VSTi in Notion 4 is an instrument channel. Each instance of a VSTi is an instrument channel. In the case that you are using Kontakt or VSL, the VSTi has it's own mixers that allow you to control the output to Notion. I will show you an example:

Kontakt Outputs.png
Kontakt Outputs.png (136.18 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

At the bottom of the Kontakt instance, you can see that there is a channel that has been added for the Bansuri instrument in Kontakt. That channel strip controls the output to Notion and it is currently sending to 1-2 as a stereo output.

This can be reassigned as you see fit and more channels can be added as instruments are added to the Kontakt Multi. In the figure below, I have added a second instrument and reset the channel outputs of each instrument to a different stereo out. Bansuri is outputting to channels 1-2 stereo and the Irish Flutes are outputting to Channels 3-4.

Kontakt Channel 2.png
Kontakt Channel 2.png (93.52 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

Once you have something like this set up, you can go into the Notion Mixer and set the receiving channels on the VSTi mixer group like this:

VSTi Group Mixer Returns.png
VSTi Group Mixer Returns.png (240.15 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

The returns in Notion correspond to the channel outputs of Kontakt. I now have individual control of two instruments in Kontakt within the Notion Mixer. VSL works in similar fashion when you are using Vienna Ensemble. Make sure you scroll down in the picture of the Notion mixer to see that the return channels are set to correspond to the Kontakt outputs/sends.

So here are some questions for you:

1. What VSTi are you using?
2. Does the VSTi you are using have a mixing host of some sort in which you can set outputs?
3. If it does have a mixing host, is Notion recognizing the capabilities for your VSTi to setup the Channel Outputs in a manner similar to the above example?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Re: VSTi channels in Notion 4 mixer

Postby petrobbb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Thank you. I'm using Kontakt 5, your example showed me how to do just what I wanted. Excellent!
petrobbb

Return to NOTION