Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Custom Drum Maps

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Custom Drum Maps

Postby lydian91 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm looking to buy Notion, but I want to ensure it has most of the features I'm looking for. From what I've gathered, things seem pretty flexible as far as VSTs are concerned. I would like to use some 3rd party percussion libraries (Superior Drummer, Virtual Drumline, etc.) with Notion, but I'm wondering if I can set up custom drum maps for these libraries. Rather, is it possible to enter the note via midi keyboard and have it show up on the correct space in the drum staff with the correct notehead?

I know with Superior, I could just change the mapping within the plugin, but I don't have that luxury with some of my other libraries. Is this possible through custom rules? Mapping for percussion instruments doesn't need to be easy, I just need to know that it's possible.

Cheers,

John
lydian91

Re: Custom Drum Maps

Postby Johnny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 pm

It would be nice if rules could be created to recognized input and write to the staff in this way.
ie.
If MIDI Note 46 "open hi-hat" then the software applies it to the staff remapped to conventional music notation and with the associated note head.
I don't think there is any code the software uses to "re-write" the input in this way.
The note heads must be changed after the input or recording.

,Johnny

P.s. Another way of saying it. The rules files only redirect/change the "output" from the software and not it's input recognition to notation.
Johnny

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi Johnny,

You can set Rules that map drum set rules using this rule in your Rules Documents:

<fixed-pitch pitch="E4" />

No matter what the notated pitch is, play E4. Combine with
"<if pitch>" to make drumset rules.

Have you downloaded the Custom Rules Documents from the website. If not, here they are:

Custom Rules Documentation.zip
(255.87 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Adim,
I have and use the rule modification documentation provided from Notion and I'm grateful yet wanting more.

lydian91's question was_

"Is it possible to enter the note via midi keyboard and have it show up on the correct space in the drum staff with the correct note-head?"

No! I think not.
Notion does not have a way to access altered note head assigned instrument sounds in real-time from a performers input device.
You have to change it's note-head after you "put it onto the score window to access the instrument voice that recognizes and uses a slashed note-head for example.
IF RULES WORKED LIKE THAT "LIVE MIDI DRUMS FILES" COULD BE CONVERTED FROM REAL-TIME RECORDING INPUT. That would be nice!!! Would it!

Ok! Big Wish for Rule Documentation "Adim".
As most of us know applications like Adobe Flash and Director come with their "Action Script and "Lingo" scripting language dictionaries and text editors built-in to there software application.
Everything the software is capable of doing is available in the "Help file or scripting "Dictionary" for "authoring" a document.

Please help us from spending months guessing how to decipher the rules documentation given to us.
Can Notion make better rules documentation? Please.

,Johnny

P.s. So far I'm happy that custom prules/rules work for me; however, may we get more "clues" for rules please !!
Johnny

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 am

Johnny wrote:lydian91's question was_

"Is it possible to enter the note via midi keyboard and have it show up on the correct space in the drum staff with the correct note-head?"

No! I think not.
Notion does not have a way to access altered note head assigned instrument sounds in real-time from a performers input device.

You can enter a note in the correct note location as well as the correct note-heads. When using step-entry mode you can set the duration, the articulation and the note-head that you would like to use.

1. Enter Step-Entry Mode - Either click the Staircase Icon in the Notion Transport, or press "Command(CTRL) + E"
2. Select the duration of your notes. You can either click durations from the palette, or you can use the shortcuts for all of the note durations. Q=Quarter, E=Eighth, H=Half, and so on. You can add grace notes with the G key.
3. Choose the articulation - press articulations in the palette, or you can toggle through the lists using the numbers at the top of your keyboard. 1 - Staccatos, 5 - is for accents, 6 - is for Strong Accents.
3. If you want to enter note-head changes, toggle with the "x" key.
4. Once you have all of the options set, press the note on your MIDI Controller.

Regards,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION