Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Note input and key signature : strange rules ?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Note input and key signature : strange rules ?

Postby mikhail » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to Notion. I'm used to enter notes using the step sequencer feature (as I do in Sibelius).
However I don't understand Notion's rules related to accidentals and key signatures. Is this a bug or am I missing something ?

On the 1st picture below you can see 2 staves with the same melody. The higher one is in C# maj and the lower one in Db maj. Both were entered with my MIDI master keyboard. The higher melody is badly written. The lower melody, in Db maj, is correct except the F# which should be a Gb. It looks like Notion understands C# maj is the same as Db maj and chooses automatically the latter one without giving you the choice to write in C#. This is really annoying. Is this a bug or a (special;)) feature ?

1.jpg
wrong
1.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 8431 times

And this is the melody in C# maj as it should appear :

2.jpg
right
2.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 8430 times

Btw, the possibility to change the enharmonic spelling of a selection of notes in one go would great !

That said, Notion is a very innovative application and looks really promising IMO.

Michaël
mikhail

Re: Note input and key signature : strange rules ?

Postby DrH » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Mikhail,

This was not a problem in N2, so IMHO it is indeed a bug in N3, and I reported as such. If you fell the same way, feel free to do a bug report on it as well because the more a wheel squeaks the faster it will get oiled. :-)

DrH
DrH

Postby mikhail » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:33 am

DrH,

Glad to see I'm not alone ! I just sent a bug report following your suggestion.
I don't know N2 : I'm a Sibelius user and I jumped on N3's crossgrade offer.

I must confess I was hoping for an easier handling of VSTi's and a better conducting performance when I bought N3. And as far as I can see I'm not disappointed : NTempo and the VST engine put N3 steps ahead of Sibelius 6 in that area (Sibelius' live tempo feature really sucks).

And as the Notion team looks very dynamic I'm eager to see N3's future developments.

Michaël
mikhail

Postby Novatlan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 am

I am in a quite similar boat.

I jumped ships from Sibelius with the crossgrade. Unfortunately, right now, I cannot use Notion as much as I'd like to because I have to work on some projects with a tight deadline, so I have to use the Sibelius I know well.
But as soon as the input woes are fixed (most importantly all things related to step time input), I am pretty certain I will use Notion more than Sibelius, potentially even using Logic far less :)

I sincerely hope that the Notion folks are serious with their desire to improve the software. I do not think we need another top-engraving application; that's Finale and Sibelius (even though I think Finale sucks^^). What we could need is a composing software that allows classically trained composers to get the same results they would get when programming in sequencers with a notation software. Notion is on the right path, but there is much left to do, most of all in the usability department.

I hope Notion will one day conduct a thorough survey where users could tell their wishes.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby astinov » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks for the bug report guys, we'll look into this issue going forward. It is simply not following the right diatonic spelling rules, so we'll need to address that.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby mikhail » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:38 pm

astinov wrote:Thanks for the bug report guys, we'll look into this issue going forward. It is simply not following the right diatonic spelling rules, so we'll need to address that.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov

Great to see such a reactivity from the Notion team :-)

Michaël
mikhail

Return to NOTION