Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 - looking for special features

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion 4 - looking for special features

Postby CarmineCella » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a new user of Notion 4. I come from Sibelius and write very complex (more than 50 staves) orchestral scores, with eventually contemporary notation.
I had a look into this forum and also in the manual but couldn't figure out the following things:

1. can I hide a single bar in a stave, in order to create the "cut out" scores like as in Pendereski?
2. can I just type notes with the computer keyboard as in Sibelius (eg. a = a, b = b, etc.)
3. in general can I redefine shortcuts?
4. I'm not sure anymore I made a good decision in buying Notion 4: do you think this is an appropriate tool
for advanced score editing, with special symbols and large scores? Maybe I did choose the wrong software?

My point is that I would like to change from Sibelius to something faster and less monolithic, not sure if Notion 4
is the right choice thou.

Best, Carmine
CarmineCella

Re: Notion 4 - looking for special features

Postby thorrild » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi CarmineCella,

1. No.
2. Yes. Look in the manual under Step Record.
3. If you're on a Mac, you can define some shortcuts by going to System Preferences/Keyboard/Application shortcuts. If you're on a Windows machine, I don't think this is possible. However, there are utilities that let you create macros, available for both platforms.
4. Notion's greatest asset is its ability to let you create great (sometimes even uncannily realistic) playback of written notation. If you require editing tools like Penderecki-like scores, then that is not where Notion shines. You can, however, create your scores in Notion, print them as PDFs and then hide whichever bars you don't want to see using a PDF editor with a "white-out" function.

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Re: Notion 4 - looking for special features

Postby Admin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Thank you thorrild.

Also, in regards to number 4 of thorrilds comment:

thorrild wrote:4. Notion's greatest asset is its ability to let you create great (sometimes even uncannily realistic) playback of written notation. If you require editing tools like Penderecki-like scores, then that is not where Notion shines. You can, however, create your scores in Notion, print them as PDFs and then hide whichever bars you don't want to see using a PDF editor with a "white-out" function.

You can also set the notes in a bar to be "cues". Notion allows you to choose whether the cues will Print or not. The default is not to Print the Cues.

1. To Show Notes as Cues

a. Select the notes you would like to "Show As Cues" with your mouse and cursor by rubber-band selecting the notes.
b. Right-click anywhere on the score.
c. Go to "Notes"
d. Select "Show As Cues"

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION