Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to make a realistic orchestra?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to make a realistic orchestra?

Postby Frieda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 am

Has anyone tips how to make the music entered in Notion sounds more realistic?

I am using dynamic markings, sometimes tempo changes. I have been using a sequencer staff to hold CC11 data( unfortunately, my computer does not process this fluently when I have more then 1 sequencer staff. Anyone else who has problems with this too?)

I have a lot to learn on music composition too. This could be the cause of it. To circumvent this reason I am now trying to enter a part of a composition of a real composer like Stravinsky or Mozart. Is there anyone who has done this before and is happy with the results? I like to hear.

Kind regards

Frieda
Frieda

Re: How to make a realistic orchestra?

Postby pcartwright » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Notion sounds don't use MIDI CC to my knowledge, so I doubt that CC 11 would help. Anyway, here are a few tricks that I've found to make a virtual orchestra sound more realistic:

First, I would experiment with using Notion's randomization settings (select notes, right click, tools, randomize events) as well as the tweak dynamics function (tools, tweak dynamics).

Second, good orchestration techniques go a long way in creating a convincing orchestra sound from samples. The Garritan forum has a copy of Principles of Orchestration online (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/for ... on-On-line) with audio examples.

Third, if you have other orchestra libraries, try mixing them in with Notion's sounds. The same sound set for two different clarinet sounds will not sound as realistic as two different sound sets, so mix it up where you can.

Fourth, try different mixing techniques. Try to spread the sounds out by panning, adjusting the volume, adjusting the reverb settings. I would also recommend adding VST effects to the individual tracks. In particular, aural exciters can add depth to sampled sounds (http://atoragon.blogspot.com/2012/08/ho ... ncers.html)
pcartwright

Postby Frieda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the good tips. I will try the randomization settings but what does it randomize?

Do you recommend a certain Harmonic Exciter?

A misunderstanding. I am not using Notion but some VSL libraries and to my idea CC11 data is transmitted. When I look at Vienna Instruments Pro only the Expression slider is moving and this really influences the sound.
Attachments
Screendump.png
Screendump CC11
Screendump.png (151.22 KiB) Viewed 13318 times
Frieda

Postby pcartwright » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Third party libraries like VSL use all kinds of CC data, so yes, use these to help with the realism.

The randomization settings tweak note start times, end times, and attack.
pcartwright

Postby Frieda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:11 pm

OK, thanks.
Frieda

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:45 pm

VI Pro also has very sophisticated humanization functions.

Which VSL libraries do you have? Your screenshot only show a single articulation loaded.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Frieda » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 am

I use some string VSL libraries and Special Edition 1.

Do you use VSL libraries too? I know some things about the humanization functions (delay, tuning and humanization slider) but further tips are welcome!
The demo's on the VSL website are wonderful. One of my goals is to reach such excellent results not with a sequencer program but with a notation program like Notion. Do you make use of sequencer staffs? What are your findings. Do you create your music in Notion or are you using a sequencer?

(The screendump was only an example, normally I have more articulations loaded)
Frieda

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Frieda,

Yes, I use mostly VSL. I depend on score markings to control playback (i.e. dynamics and hairpins, etc). I'd use the sequencer staff more if I could draw in cc data with the mouse. Having to record it in is really cumbersome, and has no advantage in giving more life to the music, as playing in the notes would.

I seldom get to moving music over into a sequencer, though would if I had more time. You can be sure the demos on the VSL site were done in Cubase or Logic.

Bill
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Frieda » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi Bill,

Yes, it would be nice if you could draw or edit the data on the sequencer staff with the mouse. Maybe I can post this as a feature request.
I use Logic as sequencer and I must confess that the export function of Notion is pretty good but it's still a lot of work. And I like to have a composition in a properly notation form.
Frieda

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Vienna Instruments will also allow you to change what controllers are being effected by CC11 data. You can also send different types of CC data from Notion on your sequencer staffs. Assign a MIDI controller to a particular CC, and record that CC Data into your Sequencer staff as well. It will effect whichever Controller you have Vienna Instruments assigned to.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION