Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Logic - Rewire - Notion (issue)

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Logic - Rewire - Notion (issue)

Postby funkmasterbecks » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:25 am

Hey guys,

I've read the topics about how to use Notion as a Slave with Logic, but I'm facing the problem that I'm not getting any audio signal on the aux-track in Logic.

Notion has the "Rewire" option activated in its preferences, and Logic has been started before Notion was on every test.

My Notion test project constitutes of 1 track, which is being routed to "R1/L1" in the mixer. Logic's Aux-Track has the input "Notion:RW:!L/!R" assigned, but as soon as I hit play, I don't get anything out of Notion - Notion doesn't even react to Logic's play command.
I'm obviously missing something...

Cheers,

Will

PS: I'm trying to use EWSO as an instrument
Btw., are the Notion EWSO presets available as a separate download for use in different DAW's?
funkmasterbecks

Re: Logic - Rewire - Notion (issue)

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 am

Out of curiosity, I just tried this with Sonar, with the same results. It's as if once instantiated and opened, Notion has no connection with Sonar, and even stays open when it closes.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:03 pm

funkmasterbecks wrote:I've read the topics about how to use Notion as a Slave with Logic, but I'm facing the problem that I'm not getting any audio signal on the aux-track in Logic.

Notion has the "Rewire" option activated in its preferences, and Logic has been started before Notion was on every test.

My Notion test project constitutes of 1 track, which is being routed to "R1/L1" in the mixer. Logic's Aux-Track has the input "Notion:RW:!L/!R" assigned, but as soon as I hit play, I don't get anything out of Notion - Notion doesn't even react to Logic's play command.

I had the same problem when I first started making sense of doing ReWire with Logic Pro 9 (Apple), and it took a while to discover the solution, but I solved the problem eventually . . .

The problem is that the Logic Pro 9 auxiliary channel strip does not have an output to the mixing board, and the solution is to send its output to an audio track via a bus . . .

In other words, the auxiliary channel strip interfaces with the ReWire stuff, but to hear it and to record it you need to route the audio to an audio track, and there are some additional things you need to do with respect to the tiny buttons that enable recording and so forth, all of which is explained in the video tutorial I did last year, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: Special thanks to the Techno Squirrels, who did the Reason 6.5 Demo song that I used in the video, with everything running in 64-bit mode in Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) . . . ]

Logic Pro 9, NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, and ReWire 2 -- 64-bits -- High-Resolution QuickTime Movie -- MOV (19MB, approximately 6 minutes)

Fabulous!

The details on what to do to get ReWire 2 working with Logic Pro 9 (Apple), Reason 6.5 (Propellerhead Software), and NOTION 4, all in 64-bit mode, are found in the last few posts in the following topic in this FORUM:

[NOTE: At the start of the discussion I did not have Logic Pro 9, but I had been thinking about getting it for a while, hence I got it after noting that the price was reduced when Apple started selling it in the Mac App Store, and after a bit of experimenting I eventually discovered the rules for doing ReWire 2 (64-bit) with Logic Pro 9 as the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 as ReWire 2 slaves . . . ]

Logic Pro and ReWire (Notion Music FORUM)

[NOTE: This video tutorial explains the tiny square buttons and the way they are used for playback vs. recording, and it also explains the way to use a Bus to send the audio from an Auxiliary Channel Strip to an Audio Track. It is done with Logic Pro 9 running in 32-bit mode with NOTION 3 and Reason 6.5 also running in 32-bit mode, but the same steps and rules apply to doing ReWire 2 in 64-bit mode. This video tutorial has more detail and walks you through each important step, as well as a lot of stuff which is not documented clearly anywhere. Specifically, this video shows you all the settings and configuration stuff you need to do in Logic Pro 9, which actually is a lot of stuff, some of which is not documented clearly in the Logic Pro 9 user manual or anywhere else . . . ]

How to use ReWire to work with a NOTION 3 Score in Logic Pro 9 (Surfwhammy) -- Windows Media Video -- WMV (26.8MB, approximately 17 minutes and 2 seconds)

More recently I have made a bit of sense of MIDI, mostly due to watching video tutorials by Groove 3 and macProVideo but also due to a bit of help from Notion Music FORUM members, and I discovered how to use a NOTION 4 External MIDI staff to control and to play an instrument in Reason 6.5 during ReWIre 2 sessions, where this works not only (a) when NOTION 4 is the ReWire 2 host controller but also (b) when Digital Performer 8.01 (MOTU) is the ReWire 2 host controller and both NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 are ReWire 2 slaves, which is a bit mind-boggling . . .

And since ReWire 7 is going to have External MIDI Out processors, I think it will be possible for Reason 6.5 to play and to work with NOTION 4 as if Reason 7 were a physical MIDI keyboard, which certainly is intriguing when combined with the other combinations of things one can do with a DAW application, NOTION 4, and Reason 6.5 . . .

This information should make it possible for you to do ReWire 2 productively with Logic Pro 9, NOTION 4, and Reason 6.5, although using Reason 6.5 is optional but nice, since there are some cool things you can do with Reason 6.5 (a personal favorite) . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I watched the video tutorials again, since it has been a few months, and there is a bit more information on the tiny buttons (Input Monitoring and Record Enable), which will be useful . . .

At the time, I was learning how to use Logic Pro 9, so the tiny buttons did not make so much sense, but in retrospect if the Input Monitoring button works the same as the Input Monitoring button in Digital Performer 8.01, it determines whether you are hearing the real-time generated NOTION 4 audio or the already recorded audio for the Logic Pro 9 audio track. So, once you have recorded the NOTION 4 generated audio to a Logic Pro 9 audio track, if you want to hear what is recorded (as contrasted to the real-time audio stream from NOTION 4), then I think that you need to deselect Input Monitoring, which you will do by clicking on the tiny orange button so that it no longer is orange. I need to verify this, but I think it is correct information. And if so, then it is possible that you can leave the Record Enable (tiny red button) enabled if you plan to do some recording or overdubbing for the specific audio track. However, I need to verify this, as well . . .

Overall, I find it much easier to do ReWire 2 with Digital Performer 8.01 as the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application, but Logic Pro 9 has some nice features, and I use Logic Pro 9 occasionally, although Digital Performer 8.01 is my primary DAW application . . .

If you have questions or need more specific help, reply to this topic, and I will do what I can to help. The fact of the matter is that you can do ReWire 2 with Logic Pro 9 and NOTION 4 in 64-bit mode, and I think that you also can do it in 32-bit mode by setting both applications to run in 32-bit mode, but 64-bit mode is much nicer and when you have plenty of memory on your Mac, it is very smooth and has plenty of headroom due to not being restricted by the 4GB 32-bit application workspace limitation that happens when you are running in 32-bit mode . . .

Another nice aspect of Logic Pro 9 is that it has a "bridge" for using 32-bit effects plug-ins, and to get Logic Pro 9 to recognize the 32-bit effects plug-ins you have, you need to run Logic Pro 9 one time in 32-bit mode, which causes Logic Pro 9 to scan your Mac looking for 32-bit effects plug-ins (Audio Unit [AU] format). Once that is done, you need to switch back to running Logic Pro 9 in 64-bit mode, which you do by unchecking the "Open in 32-bit mode" option on Get Info for the Logic Pro 9 application ("Logic Pro.app"), which is found in the Applications folder on your Mac. And if you keep the Logic Pro 9 icon in the Dock, you need to ensure that it is a shortcut to the correct "Logic Pro.app" application executable, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

If you have started Notion in 32-bit and Enabled Rewire, you can run Logic in 32-bit Rewire with Notion.

If you want to move to 64-bit, you must start Notion in 64-bit, disable and then re-enable Notion's Rewire device. Close Notion, and then re-open it. The close Notion and start Logic. Open the Notion Rewire instrument in Logic. Then you should be good to go.

There's the solution.

Here are the steps:

1. Open Notion in the bit mode you would like to run in.
For Windows, you must have loaded both programs into the respective Program Folders.
Program Files X86 for 32-bit
Program Files for 64-bit
Note: We suggest creating a shortcut on the Desktop for each version of the application. Name them so that you see the difference. The only version that will show up in the Start Menu will be whichever was installed last.

For Mac OS, you can change the mode in the Get Info window of the Application
Go to: Applications>Notion and right-click on the Application icon
Select the Check Box if you want to run in 32-bit (for 10.6 and later versions of OSX)

2. Enable Rewire - The Rewire device has to be reset if you move back and forth from 32 to 64-bit.
Notion ("File" Windows)>Preferences>Audio>Enable Rewire
Type your administrator password

3. Close Notion - Open Notion - Close Notion This seems like an odd step, but you must re-open Notion to reset the Rewire device to the bit mode you are using. The reason you will close it again, is that you are going to want to open Notion using the Rewire host.

4. Start your Host application

5. We recommend starting Notion from the host application.

I hope this helps,

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:48 pm

In my case, I've installed and used Notion and Sonar only in 64bit mode, so there must be some other variable that's causing the problem.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby hselburn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 am

Ok, I'm about to get Logic Pro X so this should apply to me. I'm going to write a waltz in my Mothers memory. I'd like a recording as well as the notation and this seems the way to go. The question is can I end up with a recording using the sound in Notion? Its sounds are going to be better than virtual instruments. I could use Notion with Rewire or I can use Melodyne which I already have and create midi tracks from that. I'm still trying to figure out which is the better workflow. As long as I can play the parts on guitar and assign them to orchestral instruments, I'm good. I can do that with Melodyne for sure. Can I do that in notion directly? If so, all I need logic or studio 1 (which is how I got Melodyne) for is to create the recording. If I have to buy a virtual instrument bundle, or notions extended instruments, I'd like to know. I'm on a bit of a budget ;) I have no clue whose bundle to get. I've heard the east west one might work out.
hselburn

Postby hselburn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:10 am

And obviously I need to know how to use rewire with logic which is why I posted in this topic in the first place.
hselburn

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:29 pm

hselburn wrote:The question is can I end up with a recording using the sound in Notion?

Yes!

hselburn wrote:Its sounds are going to be better than virtual instruments.

Not sure if this is a question or an opinion, but the bundled NOTION instruments are virtual instruments. The difference is that they are not VSTi virtual instruments, but they are virtual instruments, and they are high-quality professionally recorded sampled sounds . . .

The bundled NOTION instruments have additional articulations, dynamics, and ornamentation that are tightly integrated with NOTION, and the NOTION 4 guitar tab functionality is excellent when you use it with one of the NOTION 4 guitars or basses, since for example the NOTION 4 electric guitar is programmed specifically so that you can do string bends, vibrato, whammying (a personal favorite) and other techniques, which can be expanded for Acoustic Guitar and Classical Guitar with Expansion Sound packs to add more capabilities . . .

hselburn wrote:I could use Notion with Rewire or I can use Melodyne which I already have and create midi tracks from that.

Doing ReWire 2 with Logic Pro X and NOTION 4 on the Mac is very easy, as it is with PreSonus Studio One 2.6 Producer/Professional, so this certainly is an option . . .

With the Melodyne Editor, I suppose it depends on what you want to do, but regardless the Melodyne Editor is an excellent tool, and I use it . . .

hselburn wrote:I'm still trying to figure out which is the better workflow. As long as I can play the parts on guitar and assign them to orchestral instruments, I'm good. I can do that with Melodyne for sure. Can I do that in notion directly?

If you have a MIDI guitar, then you can record MIDI directly to NOTION 4, which works nicely, but if your guitar is not a MIDI guitar, then if you can record the guitar and process it with the Melodyne Editor (Celemony) to create MIDI, this can work as a way to input the notes, although it is a roundabout way to do it . . .

The primary difference is that with a MIDI input device (either a MIDI keyboard or a MIDI guitar), you can play with the music that already exists, and this is done in time at the same tempo and so forth . . .

You can play non-MIDI electric or acoustic guitar and record it in Logic Pro X or Studio One 2.6 Professional (PreSonus) and then use the Melodyne Editor to convert the audio to MIDI, which includes being able to edit and adjust the MIDI in the Melodyne Editor, as shown in the following video tutorial at the Celemony website . . .

Tutorial: Using audio-to-MIDI in the mix (Celemony)

Doing it this way via a DAW application and the Melodyne Editor, you are doing the work in the DAW application, and the end result is MIDI, which is fine, because you can use the MIDI either (a) to play virtual instruments in the DAW application or (b) to play virtual instruments in NOTION 4, which in turn you can record in the DAW application . . .

The logistics and infrastructure for doing this will be a bit complex, but I think it is both possible and practical to do, and it certainly makes for some fascinating experiments . . .

As noted, the primary difference is that with a MIDI keyboard or MIDI guitar everything happens immediately in real-time, where for example if you have the NOTION 4 staff assigned to a Solo Violin, then you hear the notes played on a Solo Violin as you are playing, but with the Melodyne Editor "audio-to-MIDI" technique, there are intermediate steps, which is fine, but it is different with respect to what you hear initially (which will be the electric or acoustic guitar) and what you hear after the conversion when the MIDI notes are playing a virtual instrument . . .

hselburn wrote:If so, all I need logic or studio 1 (which is how I got Melodyne) for is to create the recording. If I have to buy a virtual instrument bundle, or notions extended instruments, I'd like to know. I'm on a bit of a budget ;) I have no clue whose bundle to get. I've heard the east west one might work out.

If you are going to record any real instrument or singing, then you need a DAW application, and there are benefits to getting Logic Pro X, even though you already have Studio One 2.6 Professional, where one benefit is that Logic Pro X has a virtual festival of instruments, some of which are excellent to the level of being more than sufficient reason to get Logic Pro X . . .

This is a YouTube video that I created to demonstrate a few things one can do with Logic Pro X and NOTION 4, and relative to the Logic Pro X virtual instruments, I think the Logic Pro X String Bass is stellar, which since bass is so important is sufficient reason to get Logic Pro X . . .

[NOTE: This YouTube video also shows Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments) being used for strings; Twin 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments) being used for virtual "ice crystals"; and MachFive 3 (MOTU) being used for a Jazz Stratocaster. I used some of the AU and VST plug-ins from T-RackS CS Grand to enhance the virtual instruments. This is a simple ReWire 2 session where Logic Pro X is the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 is the ReWire 2 slave . . . ]

N4 LPX ReWire External MIDI ~ "Ice Crystals" -- YouTube video

Studio One 2.6 Producer/Professional also have a lot of virtual instruments, and Studio One 2.6 Producer/Professional record MIDI and interact nicely with NOTION 4 for doing ReWire 2 and MIDI . . .

[NOTE: This YouTube video shows a ReWire 2 session on the Mac where Studio One 2.6 Producer is the ReWIre 2 host controller and both NOTION 4 and Reason 7 are ReWire 2 slaves . . . ]

StudioOne 2.6, NOTION 4, Reason 7, ReWire -- YouTube video

THOUGHTS

As you are discovering, there is a lot of stuff one can get for doing digital music production, and one of the most important things to do in this respect is to develop a sensible plan for getting as much stuff as possible at the lowest cost . . .

You have Studio One 2.6 Professional, and it has a lot of virtual instruments, which you can download if you got the electronic download version and have a high-speed broadband cable connection . . .

NOTION 4 has a complete orchestra, and you have it . . .

Hence with respect to virtual instruments, I am not certain that you need more virtual instruments at present, although it depends on whether you like the virtual instruments that you already have or soon will download, if you have not already downloaded the Studio One 2.6 Professional virtual instruments . . .

Regarding the East West Quantum Leap (EWQL) virtual instruments, they have a few products that I find intriguing, but their primary focus is Windows rather than the Mac, and their products are a bit more on the expensive side. Also they use a different type of engine for playing the virtual instruments, and at present I have not purchased or used any of their products, although I like one of the violins and the guitars in their Gypsy Virtual Instrument, and I like the Fab Four Virtual Instrument . . .

Gypsy Virtual Instrument

Fab Four Virtual Instrument (EWQL)

At present I use Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), MachFive 3 (MOTU), Twin 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments), Addictive Drums and Addictive Keys (XLN Audio), and Cyclop (Sugar Bytes), and these all work very nicely on the Mac . . .

MachFive 3 (MOTU)

Twin 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments)

Addictive Drums (XLN Audio)

Addictive Keys (XLN Audio)

Cyclop (Sugar Bytes)

One of the reasons for selecting Kontakt 5 is that there are a lot of third-party sampled sound libraries for Kontakt 5, and some of them are highly customized and focused on particular types of instruments that usually are not included in standard orchestral instrument libraries, where the Handbells and Crystal Glasses from Bolder Sounds are examples, but there are many more available from a variety of suppliers, and this tends strongly to make Kontakt 5 essentially an industry standard, where another example of a supplier is Big Fish Audio, which has some stellar horn sections for Pop, Rhythm and Blues, and Latin genres . . .

Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments)

Handbells V2 for Kontakt 3+ (Bolder Sounds)

Horn Sections (Big Fish Audio)

~ ~ ~ Continued in the next post ~ ~ ~
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:31 pm

~ ~ ~ Continued from the previous post ~ ~ ~

Reason 7 (Propellerhead Software) is another excellent addition to the digital music production virtual instrument palette and the new Rack Extension (Re) technology makes it possible to expand the capabilities of Reason 7 . . .

[NOTE: Propellerhead Software are the folks who created the ReWire technology. Reason 7 has a new External Midi Interface (EMI) that lets Reason 7 control real and virtual MIDI devices, which includes being able to play NOTION 4 virtual instruments, and NOTION 4 can play Reason 7 virtual instruments via music notation on NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, which is done with a "virtual MIDI cable" created with IAC Driver that comes with Mac OS X. When this is done in a ReWire 2 session, ReWire 2 handles the MIDI synchronization and so forth, which is very helpful . . . ]

Reason 7 (Propellerhead Software)

If your primary instrument is electric guitar and you want to focus on using it for MIDI input, then there are several ways to do this, which range from using (a) a Roland GK-3 MIDI pickup and Roland GR55 Guitar Synthesizer to (b) a Ghost Modular Pickup System (GraphTech) with a Roland GR55 Guitar Synthesizer to (c) a MIDI guitar . . .

The first flavor is the easiest to install, and it differs from the second flavor primarily by the specific technology and amount of custom luthiering required, where using the Ghost Modular Pickup System is virtually invisible if you have a Fender Stratocaster and are comfortable doing a bit of luthiering, which includes replacing parts of the bridge and doing a bit of work on the pickguard, as well perhaps as some internal guitar body routing . . .

Both of these require the Roland GR55 Guitar Synthesizer, and the overall cost is around $1,000 (US) for everything, but if you want to use standard MIDI cables then you also need an external digital audio and MIDI interface like the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, which is another approximately $750 (US), although the GR55 has USB port that gets MIDI to the Mac, hence the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid is more focused on digitizing microphones and standard guitar and keyboard inputs but is handy for standard MIDI interfacing . . .

On the other side of the coin, if you play keyboards at least a little bit, then you can get a Behringer 25-key MIDI keyboard and use it as your MIDI input device . . .

It is useful to know that over the past few years, Native Instruments has had a 50 percent discount sale on Kontakt 5 during the week of the Thanksgiving holiday, and they might do it again this year, although they had 50 percent discount sale earlier this summer, so all I can do is guess, but if you are planning to get Kontakt 5, I would wait a few weeks and see what happens regarding the one-week Thanksgiving holiday sale . . .

Summarizing, I think that you already have the digital music production software that you need, and I think it makes a bit of sense to focus for a while on making sense of it at least to the level that you can create a simple song from start to finish . . .

While you are doing this, you can start doing research on third-party virtual instruments like Kontakt 5, and you can do a bit of research on MIDI guitar options, including the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid . . .

And for reference, you can use the music notation on NOTION 4 External MIDI staves to play external MIDI instruments as well as to play virtual MIDI instruments using a "virtual MIDI cable", which is included in Mac OS X and is provided by the IAC Driver that is configured via the Audio MIDI Setup program found in the "Utilities" subfolder of the "Applications" folder on your Mac . . .

If you are reasonably proficient with music notation, then you only need to discover how to configure NOTION 4 and Studio One 2.6 Professional for doing ReWire 2, which is not so difficult to do, but if you plan to record electric or acoustic guitar and then use the Melodyne Editor to convert the notes to MIDI, including doing a bit of editing, then this is another technique that you need to understand, since once you have the MIDI, you need to interface it with NOTION 4 to use NOTION 4 bundled instruments, although you also can use it in Studio One 2.6 Professional to play the Studio One 2.6 Professional virtual instruments . . .

I think it makes sense to ponder your budget with respect to the practicality of getting your electric guitar setup as a MIDI guitar if this is going to be your preferred way to input notes, because you could spend $1,000 (US) getting Logic Pro X and some of the EWQL virtual instruments, which might be fine, but from a practical perspective it might make more sense to get the Roland GK-3 MIDI pickup and GR55 and to connect it to your Mac via its USB MIDI port, which is done using a standard USB cable and gets the MIDI output into the Mac in a way that the Mac can use it . . .

Explained another way, I think the best strategy is to have a specific plan based on what you need to accomplish your goals, and since digital music production hardware and software is expensive no matter how you do it, I think it makes sense to give a bit of attention to making purchases that provide new capabilities in a practical way that makes it easier to do what you want to do . . .

If you have a budget of $1,000 (US) and do not have a MIDI guitar, then if electric guitar is your primary instrument, I would ponder the idea of upgrading your electric guitar to be able to use it as a MIDI input device . . .

You have NOTION 4 and Studio One 2.6 Professional, and there are plenty of high-quality professionally recorded and digitized symphonic orchestra instruments, and you can do MIDI and ReWIre 2 with NOTION 4 and Studio One 2.6 Professional, which is fabulous, where for reference in this context "fabulous" indicates that (a) I have verified it and (b) I can prove in a YouTube video . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. Regarding the way everything sounds, all these sampled sound libraries, including the NOTION 4 Bundled and Expansion Sounds, are high-quality professionally recorded sampled sounds played by skilled musicians and sung by skilled singers, but it is important to understand that they way they sound in songs and orchestral pieces depends strongly on the way the music notation is done and on the way everything is produced, mixed, and mastered, and in this respect the fact of the matter is that you need a calibrated full-range studio monitor system if you expect to be able to trust your ears . . .

Unfortunately, there are no new commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) full-range studio monitor systems available anywhere on this planet, hence getting a calibrated full-range studio monitor system requires doing a bit of custom work, which is not so difficult to do and is explained in one of my ongoing topics in the IK Multimedia FORUM . . .

The Fabulous Affordable Studio Monitor System Project (IK Multimedia FORUM)

For reference, as you might know, the full range of normal human hearing is 20-Hz to 20,000-Hz, but I extend it downward to 10-Hz, since what typically is considered to be subsonic deep bass is very important, even though most people feel it as tactile vibrations rather than actually hearing it . . .

The fundamental problem is that the rules of acoustic physics requires the loudspeakers (a.k.a., "woofers") for reproducing deep bass to be "big and heavy", which at the dawn of the early-21st century increases the cost of the components and increases the cost of shipping everything, hence none of the COTS studio monitor manufacturers make and sell full-range studio monitor systems, which is virtually mind-boggling in the sneaky weaseling department . . .

What happens is that otherwise bright people get what essentially are piece of junk studio monitors and then try to do professional audio producing, mixing, and mastering, but the problem is that since what they are hearing is not accurate, they intuitively attempt to compensate for the missing deep bass and subsonic deep bass, which (a) does not work and (b) skews the midrange and high frequencies . . .

Explained another way, it is like trying to take a photograph with a camera that will not focus or trying to take a color photograph with a black and white camera, and the way this applies to virtual instruments and sampled sound libraries is that you need to hear everything accurately to know how to make the various adjustments required to create the most realistic sounds . . .

~ ~ ~ Continued in the next post ~ ~ ~
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:33 pm

~ ~ ~ Continued from the previous post ~ ~ ~

Until sometime in the late-1970s, recording was done in professional studios, and every professional studio had a calibrated full-range studio monitor system, but everything started changing when portable music players began appearing, which in some respects was fine, except that over time it led to studio monitor manufacturers engaging in such egregious sneaky weaseling that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) had to implement special rules and regulations to make it illegal for manufacturers to make outrageously bogus marketing statements, except that not so long afterward the manufacturers devised new ways to continue doing what they were doing, regardless, where for the most part they pegged everything to 1,000-Hz . . .

It took me about a decade to make sense of this, which was quite annoying for two reasons:

(1) I knew the rules of acoustic physics but quite incorrectly thought that I could avoid them and save some money by using headphones (which incidentally does not work for a variety of reasons) . . .

(2) It did not occur to me that companies would make products called "studio monitor systems" that were not full range, hence I never paid it much attention in an immediately conscious way . . .

Nevertheless, after exploring and exhausting every possibility, all that remained was doing the acoustic physics, which I did, and this solved the problem, which in the grand scheme of everything is fine with me, since I explored and learned a lot of stuff along the way that I might not have explored and learned otherwise . . .

[NOTE: For reference, the goal is to have a flat equal loudness curve running from 10-Hz to 20,000-Hz at 85 dB SPL, and this requires "big and heavy" stuff no matter how it is done. It also requires meters and calibrating equipment, but it can be done with readily available self-powered DJ/PA loudspeaker systems augmented with some external signal processors and computer-based calibrating software and calibrated microphones. Once you get that working nicely, you can do a bit of fine-tuning "by ear", which you check with the various meters and calibrating software and equipment, and then there you are . . . ]

However, in retrospect I think that getting a calibrated full-range studio monitor system is so important that it should be at the top of the list rather than at the bottom of the list, because it is the only way you can trust your ears, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Next

Return to NOTION