Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Note input using a stylus ?

Note input using a stylus ?

Postby lemeurt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi,

I'd like to know if note entry using a stylus ins a planned feature or not.
Indeed, I would be happy to buy this product, but only if I can use a stylus to input note directly on the staff.

Thanks in advance,
Thibault
lemeurt

Re: Note input using a stylus ?

Postby Baubau » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 am

So necessary!!
the way you input notes on the staff on the desktop version would be great on the ipad!
right now I just would want my money back
Baubau

Postby choirguy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 am

Do you mean handwriting, such as featured by a KickStarter project that failed?

Notion doesn't do this, but it doesn't mean that it won't someday.

Never buy an app based upon what it can't do or might do...buy it based on what it can do.

If you want to have notation on your iPad that isn't handwritten, Notion is your only choice.

Chris
choirguy

Postby choirguy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Baubau wrote:So necessary!!
the way you input notes on the staff on the desktop version would be great on the ipad!

What? You enter notes just like on the desktop version, and can even attach a MIDI keyboard for note entry.

I don't understand your issue! (I don't work for Notion, I just use the product).
choirguy

Postby Wawoodman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:15 pm

choirguy wrote:
Baubau wrote:So necessary!!

What? You enter notes just like on the desktop version, and can even attach a MIDI keyboard for note entry.

I don't understand your issue! (I don't work for Notion, I just use the product).

As I understand the question,it is, "can I enter notes by tapping on the staff, rather than on the piano or guitar fretboard?" I would like to do the same thing. (I don't know how the desktop version works. I use Finale, and enter notes by tapping A-G on the computer keyboard.)

Before it went away, note entry on SymphonyPro was by tapping on the staff. That's why it was my first choice for iPad work. And, if it ever reappears, it will be my first choice, again.
Wawoodman

Postby lemeurt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Wawoodman wrote:As I understand the question,it is, "can I enter notes by tapping on the staff, rather than on the piano or guitar fretboard?"

Exactly. That is what i'd Like to: I can select the note duration and alteration on a toolbar, but i'd like to tap on the staff in ordre to enter notes.

In fact, I'm a happy user of Symphony Pro (I'm using an old ipad1 so I don't have a lot of bugs) but this software is lacking long term support. Notion for iPad seems to be a very good replacement, but is lacking stylus based note entry.

I'm currently looking for a pen and paper replacement tool for my harmony and counterpoint exercises. In this context having to use a keyboard interface for note input is a loss of time as I'm only interrested in the tonal role of notes and the "look" of the melody lines.

I would also need to annotate the notes with free text below, above and between staves in trebble+bass systems: i don't know if it's possible with notion for iPad.
lemeurt

Postby Wawoodman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:03 pm

AFAICT, text can only go above the staff. I haven't been able to move it. But that may just be me!
Wawoodman

Postby lemeurt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 am

Wawoodman wrote:AFAICT, text can only go above the staff. I haven't been able to move it. But that may just be me!

Thanks for the reply. I understand that this particular need is very specific so I would buy Notion for iPad even if it can't annotate each note with several free-text boxes. The only thing that is a show stopper for me is this lack of on-staff note input.
lemeurt

Postby choirguy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 pm

I'd make sure to send the folks at Notion an e-mail about this; I'm not a keyboard player (at least a good one), but I've always found the keyboard to be the fastest way to enter notes for me.

I'm a Finale user, but the more I use Notion (and the more it is improved), the more I like it and can actually see how people could someday prefer to write music on their iPad versus a notebook computer.

I wanted to mention (in this particular thread) that a colleague mentioned the app called "iWriteMusic." iWriteMusic is an app where you touch the screen and a note is created, and you slide your finger to choose the duration of the note. I bought it (I'm a techie and I blog about music education and technology), but I would find this method extremely inefficient for writing music...but to those of you in this thread who have been asking for a way to write music via touch versus keyboard or fretboard---this might be worth examining. iWriteMusic (at least the paid version...there is a free version as well) can also export to MIDI (no MusicXML), which means that Notion can open files created with it.

Don't get me wrong...Notion is the only legitimate player on the iPad and they are putting tremendous effort into the app. It's already a bargain at $14.99 (and the desktop/notebook version is only $99!), and I wouldn't want to drive people away...but it might make sense to write music in one app, and then import into Notion for final editing.

And again, send them an e-mail...that way you know that your feature request has been seen and logged. As they refine their roadmap, they will surely make changes for highly requested features.
choirguy

Return to Notion for iPad