Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

what are Rules?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

what are Rules?

Postby bciccone » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:40 am

Hi I've had notion for a few years now and just upgraded to 4. I decided to check out the form and every one talks about custom rules. If someone could enlighten me on what those are that would be great. Thank you very much!
bciccone

Re: what are Rules?

Postby pcartwright » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Rules tell Notion how to play certain techniques. For example, if a string library had bowed notes in channel 1 and pizz in channel 2, you could write a rule set that would automatically switch from MIDI channel 1 to MIDI channel 2 whenever pizz is indicated.
pcartwright

Postby bciccone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:15 pm

OK thank you very much!
bciccone

Postby GaryExo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:57 am

On this subject, is there a complete orchestra with all techniques/articulations made available anywhere? There would seem to be plenty of things missing from the Notion library of sounds and I have GPO which seems to have things absent too. I was listening to demos of the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra which sounded impressive but I wonder how well it integrates with Notion. Are there rules for that library which would offer a composer everything from the orchestra?
GaryExo

Postby pcartwright » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:54 am

GaryExo wrote:On this subject, is there a complete orchestra with all techniques/articulations made available anywhere?

I really don't think so. There are many libraries with a variety of techniques, but I don't think any one library would have all the techniques available to an orchestra.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:40 am

But yes, EWQLSO integrates with Notion, as does the VSL SE collection. All the rules come with Notion, and are available when you install the library.

EWQLSO is half price right now, which is probably why you're asking....
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby GaryExo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:53 pm

pcartwright wrote:I really don't think so. There are many libraries with a variety of techniques, but I don't think any one library would have all the techniques available to an orchestra.

Unfortunately that's what I suspected after reading around for a while. It's a shame. You would think some company would make it a bit of a mission to offer an utterly comprehensive orchestra.
GaryExo

Postby GaryExo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:59 pm

wcreed51 wrote:But yes, EWQLSO integrates with Notion, as does the VSL SE collection. All the rules come with Notion, and are available when you install the library.

EWQLSO is half price right now, which is probably why you're asking....

Thanks, Bill.
When you say that "all the rules come with Notion", are you saying that you have articulations for everything for all instruments?

Well spotted too, the half price deal is indeed why I'm asking about that library. It does seem to be a whole lot better than my GPO. Do you have any links to anything you've made using EWQLSO specifically? I'd be very interested to listen.

Gary
GaryExo

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:20 pm

If you want Comprehensive, VSL is the way to go. That's as close as you'll get. On their website you can see the exact list of articulations for each instrument.

I got EWQLSO a couple of years ago, during a previous half price sale. I don't have any samples handy. I'll probably use it more now that Notion is 64bit. It certainly has gaps in articulations, although for orchestral writing you might not find it so much of a problem. For instance, the solo strings have no bowed tremolo; the flute has flutter tongue, but other woodwinds don't. Things like that.

I'd be happy to check on specific articulations. so feel free to ask...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby GaryExo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Aah, VSL, yes. I don't think there's anything on their site that I can afford! :(
I think the furthest I can push in terms of quality is probably EWQL at half price. However, what you just said about things missing is starting to dissuade me. Oh, I don't know. :?
GaryExo

Next

Return to NOTION