Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Printing scores

Printing scores

Postby AnthonyRDean » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 am

I love notion. I understand how to use it in the main, but...
I want to write scores (orchestral), print it out AND individual parts.
Is this possible?
AnthonyRDean

Re: Printing scores

Postby thorrild » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:59 am

Hi Anthony,

The iPad version of Notion doesn't support parts extraction. For that, you need the desktop version of the program.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby AnthonyRDean » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks. I really like notion for iPad, but its very flawed in comparison to its desktop brother.
AnthonyRDean

Postby thorrild » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 am

Hi again, Anthony,

I agree. I, too, like Notion for iPad—in fact, that's the reason I got my first iPad last December. It was made clear to me from the start that the iPad app was not intended as a $10 full fledged copy of the $200 desktop version (can't remember the amounts, but it was something like that).

Nevertheless, it was only too easy to run up against the app's limitations and wish for more. I am now on my way to the Apple Store to reserve my iPad 4, hoping that Notion will at least be faster and have more polyphony than on my iPad 2. As I understand it, the folks at Notion are hard at work to make the iPad app much more like its big desktop brother, and although I suspect that the update is still several months away, it will be exciting to see how much more they will be able to pack into it.

But as for parts: it seems to me (forgive my candor), that if you are printing scores from Notion for iPad and are satisfied with the result, then you have very humble expectations. For one thing, the layout is limited to 1 or 2 bars per system, which, to me, is just a waste of paper. But if you can deal with this and can live without multimeasure rests and a slew of other standard parts features, like cues, then just print out each staff separately and call it a part.

Instructions: tap the gear wheel and turn off the display of all but one staff. Print. Repeat with every other instrument in the score.

It's not pretty, but it should work in a cinch.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Roymond » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 pm

I've found that exporting as musicXML then opening that file in MuseScore on a Mac/PC works great for printing, further editing.
Roymond

Return to Notion for iPad