Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to set up sounds / instruments?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to set up sounds / instruments?

Postby peter5992 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Good morning everyone:

I am Sibelius 5 / 6 user and have recently purchased a crossgrade for Notion 3 (convinced by glowing reports from beta testers, some of whom I recognize here). My first impression is that it looks and sounds great. The built in sounds are vastly superior to those of Sibelius (no offense to anyone - I really love Sibelius). My intention is to use Notion for creating film & TV music and underscores that must have 'broadcast quality' (I am signed to a couple of production music libraries / publishers and those guys are really picky), using inter alia EWQL libraries (SO platinum and many others), Native Instruments, Omnisphere, etc.

Two quick questions:

1. I am setting up a test score for symphonic orchestra. When I enter notes I don't hear anything (either upon entering the notes or when playing back) - what's that? Am I missing something? I looked at para. 9.9 of the manual and it 'simplify, simplify', well that sounds great, but I didn't mean it to this minimalistic! ;-) When I add eg Violins 1 in the score view, it does add a staff, but there is still no sound (and I don't need two first violin sections, by the way). Can I eg set the Notion 3 sounds by default?

2. Are there any plans for integrating any other VSTs with Notion 3? (like all the current and perhaps upcoming Play libraries by EW, or Komplete 6 by Native Instruments which has just come out). Kontakt 4 has a couple of VSL instruments as well I noticed, would be nice to be able to mix and match those as well.

Thanks!

Peter
http://www.summeroflovemusic.com
peter5992

Re: How to set up sounds / instruments?

Postby peter5992 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Update 10/12 - loaded same score and tried to insert an EWQLS instrument. Got a jBridge error message and the program hung, displaying blank windows with 'jBridge -effSetChunk".

Still no sound by the way (after restart).

Anybody got any clues what is going on?
peter5992

Postby peter5992 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:46 pm

Bump - anyone?

Hello tech support?
peter5992

Postby francois_harel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi Peter,

I ear you many times on Finale forum.
I recently bought Notion 3 (N3) too.
I copy my EWQLSO PLAY x64 dll in the N3 VST folder but N3 remains an x32 application.
So I tried with the x32 PLAY dll. And with that, I can ear my score with either N3 sounds or EWQLSO Plat+.
I recently bought Jbridge but didn't try it yet.
Do you try the x32 PLAY dll ?
I also copy the Finale Ambiance reverb dll and seems to work properly.
Francois, Montreal
QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, 4 SATA2 drives on Vista x64.
Finale 2011b, Sonar PE 8.5.2, KP2, K3 and K4, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB
EWQLSO Silver and Plat+ on PLAY 2.0.25
Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
francois_harel

Postby peter5992 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks Francois - think I know you from the EW forums.

Yes, I am trying to use the 64 bit version. The problem is more fundamental though - I can't hear anything, even with the Notion 2 or 3 sounds. There is something else going on that I am not getting. It is not quite as intuitive as I thought it would be.
peter5992

Postby Unfinished » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 pm

I think I had this for a short while, too.

Are all the sound-related non-Notion things working properly (ie speakers, external volume controls, mutes, loud enough to hear)?
Is Notion displaying that the sound should be coming through (there is a volume display next to the mixer button which shows how loud the output is)?

I found that my sound was working fine, except for Notion, which displayed that there should be sound coming through.

I found the solution to the problem within a couple of minutes - or at least the problem stopped being a problem at that time, but unfortunately I can't actually remember what I did :? I will suggest a few things you might fine work. Make a note of it here if you find out what does work if you do find out.

Wait for a bit, keep testing the sound output by holding the 'a' key when your mouse is hovering on a note (provided Notion is running and selected).
Search around the mixer to see if anything is off or by shifting volume levels it might activate the sound.
Try to 'reset' Notion while keeping it running (something like putting it in performance mode then taking it out).
[I'm fairly sure I was able to fix the problem without closing Notion, still...]
Close and re-launch Notion.
Check audio output where the computer is concerned.
Restart computer.
Copy part(s) elsewhere, delete stave(s), enter new stave(s), paste part(s), (though presumably the audio not working is not exclusive to that particular score).

I'm not to sure really but I bothered posting because that might help.
Unfinished

Postby peter5992 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:17 pm

Found it - wrong sound card. Pretty silly ... though it's still funny that the demos played back fine while an orginal score didn't. Ah well.

Thanks Brian and thanks everyone.
peter5992

Postby francois_harel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:28 pm

Dear Peter,
Many of us are already waiting about teaching from Notion staff in order to create our own instrument preset.
Are you able to use PLAY x64 via Jbridge ?
Do you have access to all your memory ?
Francois, Montreal

PS: I always looking for:
1) A 'Finale scrubing playing' equivalent in N3 !
2) A entry mode like Finale Speedy mode.
QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, 4 SATA2 drives on Vista x64.
Finale 2011b, Sonar PE 8.5.2, KP2, K3 and K4, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB
EWQLSO Silver and Plat+ on PLAY 2.0.25
Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
francois_harel

Postby peter5992 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm

francois_harel wrote:
Are you able to use PLAY x64 via Jbridge ?
Do you have access to all your memory ?
Francois, Montreal

PS: I always looking for:
1) A 'Finale scrubing playing' equivalent in N3 !
2) A entry mode like Finale Speedy mode.

Yes, I can use Play x64 via jBridge. I am not sure that the wiring is entirely right though - just tested it now, and when I loaded Violins I, it started loading one of the 11V patches (that's what I think I saw at least). Should be 18V shouldn't it? Also, auditioning the sample it sounds an awful lot like Notion 3. So I don't know what's going on here.

Not fully sure about the memory bit either, but according to the windows task manager I am currently using 4.14 GB so that's well above the 2 - 3 GB limit for 32 bit systems, so I must be doing something right.

No comments about the Finale things - I am Sibelius user!
peter5992

Return to NOTION