Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Bundled Sounds Download

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 early impressions/opinions

Postby DaddyO » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm

I expect it to be, well, just what I expect. But I don't know yet, since I've been downloading the bundled sounds for over 8 hours and it tells me I still have 8 more hours to go. Download speed is down to 100Kb/sec, and this is with a cable modem. Capacity must be severely strained with all the people downloading it, or so I suppose. Started about 7:30am PST.

Postby scarter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 pm

I've been trying to download the sounds all day, and it keeps timing out. I've restarted again and it's creeping along at 24 KB/s on a cable modem connection that is usually very fast. The good news is that this means the new version is being downloaded a lot. The bad news is that there will be a lot of frustrated users. I guess there's no way to increase the capacity for download at this point, but I would think this would be a concern at NOTION.
scarter

Postby pcartwright » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:42 pm

Has anyone gotten Notion 4 and Reaper to work via rewire?

With Reaper as host:
- Thus far, it seems like I can only control transport via Notion (Notion doesn't respond to Reaper's transport controls at all). Furthermore, it seems like it takes a couple of tries for Notion to decide to play.
- There is a slight delay in Notion's playback. Noticeable, but not terrible. I wouldn't want this kind of delay it in a live situation, but it seems consistent and manageable for post or video work.

With Notion as host:
- Notion seems to crash more times than not when acting as host (though, I'd rather Reaper act as host so I don't lose audio inputs anyway).
pcartwright

Postby DaddyO » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Well, after investing 9 hours in downloading the server reset with the files only half downloaded, and so the entire thing apparently has to start over. This is frustrating. I'm trying again, starting at 7pm-ish PST.

Edited to add: Now that I looked at the download speed for my second attempt tonight I canceled it. There's not point in it. It was estimating 22 hours. Hopefully Notion will find some way to improve this by tomorrow.

Postby cbandla » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 pm

I've been experiencing timeouts downloading the sounds. I think I just give up and try again tomorrow.

Charles Bandla
cbandla

Postby 7stringjazz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:44 pm

DaddyO wrote:Well, after investing 9 hours in downloading the server reset with the files only half downloaded, and so the entire thing apparently has to start over. This is frustrating. I'm trying again, starting at 7pm-ish PST.

Edited to add: Now that I looked at the download speed for my second attempt tonight I canceled it. There's not point in it. It was estimating 22 hours. Hopefully Notion will find some way to improve this by tomorrow.

Yeah I was within 1hr of completion at 126KB/s. Still slow but moving. Then I go away thinking ok it will be done when I get back. Well somewhere it took a major bandwidth hit and now I'm at 26KB/s and it says 7 hours to complete. This is my second attempt after a fatal timeout. My first attempt got to 3gig before it timed out.I was using a wireless connection. So I switched to a hardline network and it has been chugging along without interruption. I would only suggest to the Notion team, that when you have multi-gig file transfers, you program the file transfer to store chunks in a temp location until complete. Having to start over when you have miles to go before you sleep is not much fun. Oh well. I'm close, but it looks like it will be downloading the rest of the night. Fortunately I have other libraries I can use in the meantime.
Classical music is the kind we keep thinking will turn into a tune. -Kin Hubbard

Musings: [url]Soundcloud.com/7stringjazz[/url]
7stringjazz

Postby elerouxx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 am

I do have a technical complain about the installation process. Even while the installer downloads the instruments one by one, the whole process is too long and it doesn't seem to have any resume mechanism. I tried to install the sounds yesterday, then overnight, and I'm trying again right now which will probably take all day and then fail.

I have a really fast internet for the region I live (15MB) so I can't see how people with cable or other kind of connection can do this.

I think you really need to update the Notion 4 Bundled Sounds Installer so it resumes from the files it already downloaded! Or give us another option, like putting the sounds separately somewhere like the ones you can download to install in N3 demo! Please! I really want to use N4 in the piece I have to deliver after tomorrow.
elerouxx

Postby DaddyO » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 am

Well, this morning I'm getting about 700K/sec download speeds, but that's because I started it about 5:40 am before everyone in the US wakes up. I've got to leave before it will finish, so we'll see if it times out again. I've adjusted my computer auto-sleep time to "Never."

Postby DaddyO » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 am

Well this is getting crazy. I double-check how the download is going before I leave and it has AGAIN timed out. I cannot get this downloaded, and I cannot use Notion 4 until it is done.

Notion 4 Bundled Sounds Download

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 am

Due to the high amount of traffic that we had for the Bundled Sounds download, we were experiencing some slowdowns. We have since changed some configurations on our end to increase your download speed.
According to our testing, we were able to double the speed of the download. If you are still experiencing any problems downloading the Bundled Sounds, please contact Technical Support so that we can get as much information as possible in order to better assist you. Thank you for all of your patience.

We've moved the appropriate posts to this topic...
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION