Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Program won't open anymore!

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Program won't open anymore!

Postby vcxz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:16 pm

I have had Notion for about two years and it has always worked fine, but for the past few days I haven't been able to open the program (or the application, to be specific--I have a Mac). When I click on the icon, or click on a .notion file, the icon jumps as if it will open, but then doesn't. I have no explanation for this. I really need to access my scores, so I hope someone can help with this soon. Thanks.
vcxz

Re: Program won't open anymore!

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 am

vcxz wrote:I have had Notion for about two years and it has always worked fine, but for the past few days I haven't been able to open the program (or the application, to be specific--I have a Mac). When I click on the icon, or click on a .notion file, the icon jumps as if it will open, but then doesn't. I have no explanation for this. I really need to access my scores, so I hope someone can help with this soon. Thanks.

There can be several things that cause an application which was working to stop working, and it is not so easy to determine which one is the cause, but a good way to begin is to determine whether you did anything recently that could have changed something, where examples are (a) upgrading to a new version of the operating system, (b) replacing a hard drive, (c) doing something which affected permissions, (d) changing the way you login to the computer, (e) a faulty hard drive, and so forth and so on . . .

These are a few suggestions:

(1) Navigate to the "Applications" folder and find the NOTION 3 application ("NOTION 3.app"). Double-click on it, and see if it runs. If it does, then the icon in the Dock is pointing to the wrong version or is corrupt . . .

(2) Determine whether you are running the current version of NOTION 3, rather than an older version, and for reference I am running the current version of NOTION 3 on a Mac Pro, where the operating system version is 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion), which is the most recent update to Mountain Lion, and it appeared a day or two ago . . .

(3) Check the hard drive, which you can do with "Disk Utility.app", which is found in the "Utilities" subfolder in the "Applications" folder. You can verify the disk; verify disk permissions; and repair disk permissions, which might resolve the problem . . .

[NOTE: Repairing disk permissions takes a while, as does doing a disk verification. Repairing disk permissions might resolve the problem . . . ]

If none of these things solves the problem, you can download the current version of NOTION 3 and reinstall it. You might need to call Notion Music Technical Support to get a new license code if the authorizer does not recognize your current license, but you will not know until you try it. You can install NOTION 3 more than one time without needing to reset license codes or whatever, but at some point you need to have them reset, which Notion Music Technical Support does via accessing the licensing server, which they can do, hence the need to call them, since you cannot do this yourself . . .

Another possibility is that you do not have web connection, except that you posted to the FORUM, which requires a web connection. It also is possible that you installed some other software that uses the same licensing software but an older or newer version, and the older or newer version overwrote the version that NOTION 3 expects . . .

This is all that comes to mind at the moment, and as noted I am running NOTION 3 in the current version of Mac OS X on a Mac Pro with no problems . . .

When you resolve the problem, post what you did to correct it, since the solution can be helpful for other folks to know . . .

Lots of FUN . . .
:ugeek:

P. S. And you can call Notion Music Technical Support, but I would try the three things (see above) first, and it probably makes sense at least to download the current version of NOTION3, so that you have it . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION