Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How do I flip the stems?

How do I flip the stems?

Postby slipperman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:36 am

When writing drum notes for a full drum kit I (most often) want to have the cymbals, hihat and occationally also snare hits , with the stem up and bass drum hi-hat pedal etc. with stem down. This provides a clean and readable layout. Now, when I try to put som stuff into the Notion for ipad app the default seems to be the other way around i.e. when I want the stems up they are down. How do I go about changing this (either by default or by editing after the note has been entered)?
slipperman

Re: How do I flip the stems?

Postby thorrild » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:14 am

Slipperman,

Enter up-stem and down-stem notes in separate layers.
The drum pad has red buttons for 4 different layers. Lower layer numbers turn into up-stem notation if a higher-number layer is entered in the same measure: Typically, you'll want to enter cymbals, hi-hat and snare in Layer 1 and use Layer 2 for kick and hi-hat foot pedal.

If there is no layer-2 instrument in a measure, enter a whole rest there so that the layer-1 notes will turn up-stem.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby slipperman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks for prompt response. Good piece of information there. Understand now how it works.
slipperman

Postby dmatthes » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:35 pm

That is what I did for this snare drum exercise. Let me know if you discover an easier way.
Attachments
Gavin-Harrison-Warm-Up.png
Gavin-Harrison-Warm-Up.png (14.1 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
Darren Matthes
Drum Lessons • Guitar Lessons
http://www.darrenmatthes.com
dmatthes

Return to Notion for iPad