Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Different Articulations for Kontakt

Different Articulations for Kontakt

Postby haraku » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 am

Hi everyone,

i am trying to put together some rules for kontakt 5 and i am getting along in general, but i have a question now:

the rules file is put together for the kontakt instrument in general, not the different instances i put on the score, right?

so, if, for some reason, the articulation "tremolo" triggers, say, E0 and in another instrument in kontakt "tremolo" is triggered by F#1, do i have to define two different rules in the same file, one for E0 and one for F#1?

also, if in an instrument "tremolo" is triggered by E0, but in another instrument E0 triggers "staccato", how can i tell Notion to use the first rule for instrument A but the second rule for instrument B (all in Kontakt)?

These are just examples, but i hope you can understand, what i mean.

Thanks

P.S. another thing: i tried to look it up, but i could not get a straight answer:

is there a test for noteheads in the rules?
haraku

Re: Different Articulations for Kontakt

Postby cbandla » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm trying the same thing with Kirk Hunter's Pop Rock Strings. I've gotten the best results by setting up a single Kontakt instance with the instruments I'm going to use (a string ensemble in my case) and save it as a multi. Each instrument is in it's own midi channel and I use that info to pass the correct keyswitch for the instrument. Here's an example:

Code: Select all
<!-- set violin flag: violins will be in midi channels 1&2 / viola in 3, cello in 4 and bass in 5-->
      <rule>
         <if midi-channel = "1"/>
         <set-flag name = "vln" />
      </rule>

<rule>
         <if midi-channel = "2"/>
         <set-flag name = "vln" />
      </rule>

<!-- choose articulation -->
<!-- if flag=vln then use violin keyswitches, if not then use viola,cello&bass keyswitches -->

<rule name="pizzicato">
         <!-- Tests -->
         <if technique = "pizz" />
         <if flag="vln"/>
         <!-- Instructions -->
         <key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="34" velocity="1" />
      </rule>   

<rule name="pizzicatoOthers">
         <!-- Tests -->
         <if technique = "pizz" />
         <if not-flag="vln"/>
         <!-- Instructions -->