Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Which version of EWQL Platinum is supported?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Which version of EWQL Platinum is supported?

Postby mkiz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:12 pm

I am wondering which version of EWQL SO Platinum is currently supported, PLAY or NI. I placed my order and now have the sinking feeling that it is the older, NI version that is supported. If this is the case, any plans for supporting their newer PLAY version?

Thanks for your reply!
mkiz

Re: Which version of EWQL Platinum is supported?

Postby dcoscina » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:45 pm

PLAY. And it works supremely well. Here's a link to a couple examples using Platinum and NOTION3 (I was a beta tester BTW).

Music (MP3):
http://www.box.net/shared/hft6nlalbg

Score:
dcoscina

Postby mkiz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:29 pm

FANTASTIC! Thanks for the quick post! :D
mkiz

Postby astinov » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am

Hi there,

Just wanted to make sure I clarify this - EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum is what is currently supported.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby mkiz » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Okay, it seems that this is as I had feared, and that when you say that there is built in support for EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, you mean the older Platinum version, which uses the Native Instruments Kompakt or Kontakt player. While the EWQLSO Play version can be loaded, it does not seem to provide the sort of articulation template support that I had expected...

Here is why I say that:

I finally got the Play vst installed, and I see some confusing things. First, I see a tab for EWQL Symphonic Orchestra,and I see tabs for various instrument sections--"Platinum Strings, Platinum Woodwinds, Platinum Harp, Platinum Keys and mallets" , etc. If I click on any of these tabs, I can access instruments --Violins I, Violins II, etc. But these do not correspond to specific instruments within either the older NI-based version of EWQLSO, or the newer Play-based version. I am not sure what samples these instruments are using, if they are pulling multiple articulations from the library, etc.

In addition, if I click on the VST Instruments tab, I see a tab that is simply labelled, "Play." When I click on this "Play" tab, I bring up the EWQL SO Platinum Play interface.

I recently migrated from the NI-based version of EWQLSO Platinum XP, to the newer EWQLSO Platinum Play version. I don't want to go backward, but would love to get enhanced playback directly from the score.

I am not sure what is going on here, and could use some assistance.
mkiz

Postby astinov » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi mkiz,

The version supported is Play, not the older Kontakt version. When you say you got the tabs etc, what happens when you insert, say, Trumpet ? It should be working, if it asks you to locate the samples, just point it to the EWQL Library install folder where you have both the Platinum Instruments and Platinum Samples folder.

Let me know what is happening. Insert a trumpet and write some notes then place staccato and legato on the notes and see if you get correct playback.

Regards,

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Novatlan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:43 am

Please, please, please add support for EWQLSO Gold Play.
The only difference between Gold and Platinum is the missing stage and surround samples in Gold and the folder names (Gold Instruments instead of Platinum Instruments).
I hope it is not too hard to support Gold. Platinum is just way too expensive to be affordable to me :(
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby mkiz » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 am

Lubo,

Okay, I am much closer to success now. When I was prompted for the missing samples, I was mistakenly trying to find the specific sample or instrument folder. I followed your directions and I now get the instruments to load. What is confusing, is I can't tell exactly which samples are being loaded. For example, I loaded the "Violins I", and when the Play instrument loader popped up to show what was being loaded, it was a sample something like 11 Violins, and the Flautando articulation. However, when I enter notes into teh score and playback, I accurately hear pizz, stacatto, slurs, arco, col legno, sul tasto, etc.

This is great. However, I would like to know which articulations are being pulled up. For example, the first violins in EWQL are usually equated to the 18 Violins samples, not the 11 Violins samples. Also, if I want to get more specific control over the full range of my samples, is there a way to add specific articulations from EWQL to specific notations? For example, I want to be sure that EWQL's round robin samples are being used for repeated stacatto notes.

Thanks.
mkiz

Postby astinov » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:27 pm

However, I would like to know which articulations are being pulled up. For example, the first violins in EWQL are usually equated to the 18 Violins samples, not the 11 Violins samples. Also, if I want to get more specific control over the full range of my samples, is there a way to add specific articulations from EWQL to specific notations? For example, I want to be sure that EWQL's round robin samples are being used for repeated stacatto notes.

Hi mkiz,

I believe we did use the RR samples for the staccato's in the presets, but anyway, there are two ways you can further "tweak" your presets:

Quick option (easy):
On a score level (meaning the tweak will be valid for the score you save, but not for new scores):

As you insert an EWQL preset instrument, exit score setup than click on the instrument's staff and hit Ctrl+I. This will bring up PLAY's interface and its up to you from that point to tweak the preset as much as you want. For best results, replace samples with similar samples (like staccato with spiccatto etc), otherwise your articulations my not work properly.

Advanced option: On a global level (changes will apply to all NEW files)
This is if you want to change the preset for all new files you create.
1. This involves editing the preset files directly, which are found in the PluginData\EWQL folder. For info on how to get there, check the thread I just posted regarding getting rid of the warning dialog.
2. Locate the folder and open the notion file you want to tweak the preset of. Once loaded, bring up the PLAY interface with Ctrl+I again and make your changes. Be sure to save your file. From that point on any NEW file you create will have your changes.

Make sure to backup the newly edited PluginData folder. This way you wont loose your work if you need to reinstall NOTION or you apply an update which overwrites the PluginData.

This shows another side of NOTION3 which is very powerful - the ability to customize the presets easily, by just changing the VSTi in a given instrument file. And also gives you a hint of what's possible. There's a whole lot more, which I'll be discussing soon :)

Regards,

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Return to NOTION