Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Recording images of Notion score for a video

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Recording images of Notion score for a video

Postby jonknowles8 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:47 pm

On youtube you can find videos with the sheet music scrolling (or inserted) as the music plays. I have seen this only for piano; e.g. Rachmaninoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Qb7AS1yxg

What would be the best way to make something similar for a score from Notion 3?

A program like Jing will capture what is on the screen but Jing has a limit of about 5 minutes I think. Also not sure if you could use a Jing video for this purpose since the video is posted on Jing's servers. Maybe there is another program that would be suitable for this purpose?

I am using Serif MoviePlus X3 to create youtube videos. For the music, I import a wav file from Notion 3 into Serif. I could make MP3's instead but wav files are not too large for youtube.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon
jonknowles8

Re: Recording images of Notion score for a video

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:51 pm

mac or pc?

I like a program called "ScreenFlow" for Mac. By far the best I've used as far as options and usability....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jonknowles8 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm on the PC. It would figure that Mac had a great way to do this. :)

Jon
jonknowles8

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm sure there are some screen capture programs out there for pc, but all the screen cap stuff I've done is on mac.

I'll ask Lubo about it I think he's done some screen capture on pc....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:48 pm

There's one called Camtasia that looks good...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:51 am

wcreed51 wrote:There's one called Camtasia that looks good...

That's the one! I remember us using Camtasia for some of our tutorials at one point.....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jonknowles8 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:08 pm

I remember Camtasia now - the same people make Jing.

I looked around a bit and as usual there are many programs out there for this. TopTen reviews lists some for image capture and some for video capture. Camtasia is about $300 US. For still captures, Jing is highly praised ($19 or so for added features) and SnagIt rates highly (TopTen review puts it well above all the others). TopTen lists 6 or so for video capture, but not Camtasia. There is a shareware/free one called CamStudio that some like.

Choices...choices...choices... Will have to experiment and see what's best for me. (I have another use for the program besides capturing Notion so will have to factor that in).

Jon
jonknowles8

Postby jonknowles8 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:56 pm

I am using Camtasia for a video project but it didn't work out well trying to capture a Notion score (not enough real estate). Might work for a piano piece though. And Camtasia is great for a how-to-do video.

I did make the following youtube of a Notion 3 score of mine. I made the video in Serif MoviePlusX3. I used the Notion reverb; no other processing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF1_f5WUnEk

I figured I'd try to illustrate the score with some photos and post it on youtube rather than just put a wav file or MP3 on my web site. Cascades seemed to work better than birds flying, so that's what I've used here. My wife said I had too many photos in an earlier version so I reduced the number considerably.

Hmmm. I see someone has posted an original composition called Cascades and he uses some video imagery. I had thought of that for another piece I'm working on but hadn't tried to find video footage of moving water for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDfP3OGU ... re=related

I also posted a video on the Red Sox, also composed in Notion 3. Long-time Red Sox fan here. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLrkhDpqe0

My son-in-law likes the tune but doesn't like the "synthesized sounds". Granted, I should probably reorchestrate it some time (amateur at work here).

Has anyone else posted a Notion audio file on youtube?

Jon
jonknowles8

Return to NOTION