Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

New VSL SE Libraries

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

New VSL SE Libraries

Postby alexg » Sun May 20, 2012 10:57 pm

VSL have renamed their current SE offering and added two additional libraries. Have Notion Music any plans to support the two additional libraries? I can have a crack at creating my own custom rules but this will probably be a slow process since I have not done it before.

Regards,
Alex
alexg

Re: New VSL SE Libraries

Postby wcreed51 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:21 pm

It’s unlikely that they’ll let on what their plans are…
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby alexg » Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Mac jones wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

Yikes. I have the standard, extended (both plus), and now they do this? :D
It's going to take a while to sort out this mess. I guess it's a good thing as there's a direct upgrade path rather than my libraries being obsolete. The problem is it's a bit convoluted. But what else is new. :D

As far as Notion including this new wrinkle, I wouldn't hold your breath, but it's good to at least bring it to their attention.

So you now have the equivalent of Vol 1, Vol 1 Plus, Vol 2, Vol 2 Plus. You don't need to do anything as far as upgrading is concerned. You can just add Vol 3 & 4 if you wish.

As far as Notion rules for Vol 3 & 4, this shouldn't be too hard because there are no new articulations so something like Bassoon 2 is going to be identical to Bassoon 1 but with different samples loaded in the matrix. Is it possible to get inside the fxp files, rename them and just change the samples loaded? I suppose not.

Regards,
Alex
alexg

Postby pcartwright » Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 pm

alexg wrote:Is it possible to get inside the fxp files, rename them and just change the samples loaded? I suppose not.

Are you talking about the patches loaded when you open a VSL instrument in Notion? Or something specific to the VSL sample player?
pcartwright

Postby alexg » Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 pm

pcartwright wrote:
Are you talking about the patches loaded when you open a VSL instrument in Notion? Or something specific to the VSL sample player?

I should have clarified. I'm loading VI Pro instances within VE Pro. For each VI Pro instance there is the option to load up Notion fxp presets that basically load a pre-configured matrix along with all the relevant articulations for a specific instrument. Thinking about it now (I'm not in front of my music PC) I suppose I can just change the samples in the matrix, leave all the keyswitches alone and save it as a .VIPRESET.

After much trial and error, this is the way I'm setting up a score to use VE Pro:

The solution is to use the score setup tabs: "VSL Special Edition" > "Custom" > "Custom VE Pro". This then creates a VEPRO track instance which can be pointed to by "Basic Staff" tracks.

Each "Basic Staff" track is pointing to specific midi channel which is pointing to a specific VI Pro instance which has been loaded with my newly create .VIPRESET which contains, say, Bassoon 2 from the new SE Volume 4.

Am I talking sense here or rambling?
alexg

Postby pcartwright » Mon May 21, 2012 11:33 pm

You make sense, but I'm not familiar with the approach. I've only used VSL on a handful of occasions and not recently at that. :(
pcartwright

Return to NOTION