Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Use note symbols in text?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Use note symbols in text?

Postby onimic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello -
Is it possible to use note symbols above or below the staff? I have a small section of 3/8 in a 4/4 piece and I would like to indicate above the staff that the 1/8 = 1/8. But with the 1/8 note symbol. Is is possible to use symbols in the "text"? If so, how?

Thanks,
Mike.
onimic

Re: Use note symbols in text?

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 am

Hello,

It is not currently possible to use the note symbols in the text boxes unless of course you are entering a metronome marking in which the program enters it for you.

Best,
Admin
Site Admin

Postby onimic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Bummer - guess I'll post that on the wish list thread :(
onimic

Postby thorrild » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 pm

A quick-and-dirty test indicates to me that if you press K (for text block) and enter the proper characters using an appropriate font (not included with Notion), you can have indications such as 1/8 = 1/8. If the font has an eighth-note character and an equal sign in its character set, it should work. This is just for graphic purposes; the text block has no effect on playback. Also, if you need to extract parts, the text block needs to be present on all instruments, not just at the top.

I don't know which font will help you achieve the best looking results, but if you're on a Mac, you might want to look up an old, but useful font called Metronome, made by Steve Powell at DVM Publications. His web site: www.dvmpublicationns.com

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby thorrild » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Here's a screen shot of the indication you're looking for, made with Metronome 8 pt, entered as a text block.

Best,
Thorrild
Attachments
Metro.tiff
Metro.tiff (13.64 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby onimic » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:10 am

That works perfect and is awesome advice ... Thank you sooooooooooo much!
Mike.
onimic

Postby elerouxx » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 am

Yeah, it's a good idea. The bad thing is that it doesn't show up in different individual parts, but then you can add it manually when generating the parts.

Currently, the title/part name/text is so buggy that usually I have to keep two finished files, one for the full score and a second one to generate individual parts anyway. So I duplicate the text marking to the other parts and that's it.
elerouxx

Return to NOTION