Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notation to Sequencer staff?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notation to Sequencer staff?

Postby eyjolfurg » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 am

Hi
I am rather new to Notion but I have been using sequencers and other notation software for many years.
One of Notation 3 strong sides is that it is really good in recording midi in real time without latency and convert the result to readable notation. For example you can record multiple times into a same sequencer staff to overlay already recorded stuff and finally convert the whole staff to notation. But is there a way to convert or copy notation to sequencer staff?
Eyjolfur G.
eyjolfurg

Re: Notation to Sequencer staff?

Postby Zblogny » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:03 am

The Tab key turns the staff into Overlay mode, which is a kind of basic sequencer staff.
You can graphically adjust the start, length and end of a note, and set the velocity by double clicking on it.
Zblogny

Postby eyjolfurg » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Thank you for your answer but if I make changes in the sequencer overlay for example change the duration from quarter note to a half note it will not be reflected in the notation display. Also if I want to record some additional notes into the same staff the new notes will shift the timing of the notes already in each bar instead of merge with them.
I was thinking if I could change the notation to sequencer staff, make some changes and then turn it back to notation it would make things more easy in some situations.
Eyjolfur G.
eyjolfurg

Postby eyjolfurg » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Another possibility would be if there where some sort of "quick notation" view of a sequencer staff that would behave similar to the notation-tab pair. You could do the editing in either of the views and the changes would affect both of them. You could the hide the sequencer view when you are done but bring it back again if you needed. There is a similar thing in sequencers like Sonar and Pro Tools but both programs are missing important notation elements regarding the display and keyboard short-cuts. Notation 3 is a great software and just a little more to complete the picture.
Eyjolfur G.
eyjolfurg

Postby Zblogny » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:49 pm

eyjolfurg wrote:Thank you for your answer but if I make changes in the sequencer overlay for example change the duration from quarter note to a half note it will not be reflected in the notation display.

I agree, but I don't use overlay mode for such big changes, for me it rather serves to "humanize" a too mechanical quantization, or vice versa...
Zblogny

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:11 pm

You can't change back to squencer staff, it's a one way trip. You can, of course, modify the notaion. And I supose to could create a temporary sequencer staff to rerecord into, convert, then paste that into the measure you want to replace.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Return to NOTION