Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Upgrade to Notion 3?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Upgrade to Notion 3?

Postby blwalker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi

This may have been answered before...
but here goes again.

I have Notion SLE and Miroslav Philharmonik
which I purchased about a year ago.

I upgraded to Mac OS Lion recently and now
I get no sound in Notion or Miroslav...

If I upgrade to Notion 3, will this problem be
solved?

I know the combination of the two is a great
tool and want to get started learning it again...

thanks

Bill Walker
blwalker

Re: Upgrade to Notion 3?

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Admin
Site Admin

Postby blwalker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi again

I have seen the upgrade page before,
but my question is...
Is Notion 3 fully compatible with Mac OS Lion?

I will gladly pay the $99 to upgrade if I
am sure it will work properly again

thanks

--Bill Walker
blwalker

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm

blwalker wrote:Is Notion 3 fully compatible with Mac OS Lion?

As best as I can determine at present without actually upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and doing a bit of testing, (a) NOTION 3 is fully compatible and (b) Miroslav Philharmonik essentially is fully compatible but with the caveat that you have to copy the sampled sound libraries manually, since the most current information from IK Multimedia is that their sampled sound library installer does not work with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) . . .

NOTION 3.2 Update Release Notes:

OSX Lion Compatiblity

[SOURCE: NOTION 3 Upgrades (Notion Music FORUM) ]

[NOTE: Manually copying the sampled sound libraries is not difficult to do, so this is just a minor annoyance . . . ]

Mac OS X Lion Compatibility Info (IK Multimedia)

COMMENTS

It depends on what you need to do and the specific digital music production software you are using, although it appears that most of the various companies have completed their Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) upgrades . . .

I use Digital Performer 7.24 (MOTU) for my Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application, and the MOTU folks released their Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) upgrade within a week or so of the release of Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) . . .

[NOTE: In fairness to the MOTU folks--who have been doing Mac application development basically forever--I think that Apple did a last minute "slipstream" thing with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), so the actually released version was different from the supposedly "golden master" version that Apple provided to all the third-party vendors, which in turn required the MOTU folks to make a few changes and then to redo their quality assurance testing and so forth, which took them a few days. This is an educated guess, which in part is based on the last minute notifications I received from Apple at the time, which I get by virtue of being a registered and licensed Mac OS X and iOS application developer, and I think that it accurate . . . ]

I think that the Melodyne Editor (Celemony) is compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), but this is not so clear, which might be just a matter of nobody updating the specific Celemony website page for system requirements . . .

When Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) initially was released, nothing worked with it, and I had no specific reason to upgrade from Snow Leopard, but there are a few new applications that are intriguing and they require Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), so I am planning to do some experiments to determine how everything works in Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), which mostly is a matter of getting an internal hard drive and cloning it with SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket), so that I can boot to Snow Leopard or Lion . . .

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

The more stuff you use, the more testing you need to do, and since the more stuff you are using, the more companies are involved, it is unlikely that any specific company can tell you specifically that all your stuff will work, which is the reason that the more stuff you have, the more important it becomes to test and verify everything yourself, really . . .

Really!

I think that everything should be fine for all the stuff I use, but (a) it all works very nicely with Snow Leopard and (b) there is nothing particularly compelling to me about moving to Lion . . .

Nevertheless, it appears that if you only are using NOTION 3 and Mirosolav Philharmonik, then you should be fine with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) . . .

Once I do the experiments, I will post an update, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Great! :o

Less than five minutes after I posted my suggestion that everything should be fine with NOTION 3, Miroslav Philharmonik (IK Multimedia), and Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), someone else posts what might be a gnarly bug when NOTION 3 is running in Mac OS X 7.2 (Lion) . . .

However, the basic information that you need to do your own testing and verifying continues to be "spot on", as the British say, which is fabulous . . .

The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby blwalker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi again

Thanks for all the great replies.

I think I will take the plunge and buy
Notion 3...

Again, I appreciate all the thoughtful answers!

--Bill Walker
blwalker

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:Great! :o

Less than five minutes after I posted my suggestion that everything should be fine with NOTION 3, Miroslav Philharmonik (IK Multimedia), and Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), someone else posts what might be a gnarly bug when NOTION 3 is running in Mac OS X 7.2 (Lion) . . .

However, the basic information that you need to do your own testing and verifying continues to be "spot on", as the British say, which is fabulous . . .

I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion) using a new internal hard drive that I "cloned" via SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) from the existing Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) internal hard drive, and the so-called "gnarly bug" actually is not a big deal . . .

It is dependent upon the zoom level, and what happens is that depending on where the mouse pointer is positioned when you click to place a new note on a staff, sometimes the note is placed one step higher, but the simple workaround is to move the note to the correct position on the staff after it is there. Another workaround is to work at a zoom level where the bug does not occur . . .

Everything else appears to be working nicely, although I have more testing to do, since there are a lot of applications and technologies involved in digital music production . . .

Mostly, I need to do some ReWire testing, and if ReWire is working nicely, then I think that everything will be fine . . .

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION