Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Newbee Completely Lost

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Newbee Completely Lost

Postby ZipXap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm completely new to midi and Notion. MANY years ago I used Cubase, then Sonar to record myself playing guitar and singing vocals. I've decided to learn piano and bought Notion because I wanted to learn to read music while I create music.

NOW... I just bought my first midi controller, an M-Audio Oxygen 61. Honestly, I'm frustrated enough with the whole process that I'm considering just packing it up and sending it back. I just don't get it. I'm to the point where the keyboard responds and plays the notes in Notion, but I can't figure out how to get transport controls to work, such as stop, play, and record. When I go into "Midi Device Commands" and try recording them, it doesn't seem to recognize any event occurs when I press a button. The M-Audio manuals are absolutely useless because they assume everybody is some sort of MIDI genius. "You just assign it to 127 and 146 it, plus two, blah blah blah...." I think this might be mainly an M-Audio problem. They have a beautiful piece of hardware, but then its like they went on vaction when it came time to write the software and manuals.

Has anybody ever done this? Please help? If its true that M-Audio sucks, then does anybody have any recommendations for a simple midi controller?

Thanks,

ZipXap.
ZipXap

Re: Newbee Completely Lost

Postby Francois2010 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:05 am

Hi sir!

Like any first question I am tempted to ask if you've read the documentation for Notion3?
I love Notion ! I love to compose !
Native langage french. Be patient with my English.
Francois2010

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:36 am

Francois2010 wrote:Like any first question I am tempted to ask if you've read the documentation for Notion3?

I agree with Francois.
It seems that if there are issues, these comes from the M-Audio side.
Eg. my Korg keyboard controller is very basic, still it communicates straightly with Notion (note on/off in step or even in real time, mod wheel in sequencer view. The latter only once: too complicated)
I suggest to dig the M-Audio documentation too: if it handles more than the basics, there's no reason to miss it.
Hope to hear from you about.
Last edited by fabiolcati on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am

Notion will not respond to the Trasport control and other knobs and slidders, only notes, mod wheel and pitch bend. This would be true of any controler keyboard.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Return to NOTION