Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

A tool for creating custom external midi rules

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: A tool for creating custom external midi rules

Postby DrH » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 pm

There is an old expression that goes, "It is easier to apologize than to ask permission."

Seriously, though, what possible reason could Notion have for stopping you from releasing a tool that is completely your own code? Just because the output is a file that Notion will recognize doesn't mean you have violated any of Notion's proprietary coding.

Of course, that's just MHO, so it would be great if someone from Notion could jump in here quickly and give your tool its blessing. :-)
DrH

Postby Erufailon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:25 am

Yes, but...

I see that Astinov and I suppose the whole team is pretty careful not to tell anything to people that could cause troubles with N3 itself. And though I don't see how using this could do that, I'd like to leave it up to them if they want it or not. And another reason is they might be cooking something up themselves that could change the way rules work, which would make this unusable, and they might get a few costumers that are used to using custom rulesets with this tool, while customizing these rulesets was an undocumented feature to begin with, seemingly not intended for us to play with for the time. So I thought I'd ask.
Erufailon

Postby 4tune » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 am

I would PM Lubo as hopefully he will recieve an email that there is a PM for him. His profile shows he hasn`t been logged on here since the 19th [his PM link is on the profile too]

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=65

edit: KylePoehling seems to be about today though, maybe he will see your thread.
4tune

Postby KylePoehling » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Erufailon wrote:Dear Astinov,

I've finished writing a little Java application for myself which presents a Graphical user interface to create custom rulesets for the 4 external midis.
What it does:
It parses the expressionlist.tpk file to include all the possible techniques, articulations and conditions (and I also added some which were not in that file, like under-slur).
It presents a list of the rules for each external midi port/midi channel. The user can add rules&remove rules, and move rules around with the click of a button. For each rule it presents in a list the conditions that apply to that rule (ex. if the articulation is staccato), and the actions that rule will take (ex. keyswitch 24 before the note). Conditions and actions can be added/removed from a list with the click of a button. It also maintains an instrumentlist so the user can remember easily which port/channel uses which patch.
It can read/write the .prules files, but it doesn't touch any other files, besides the parsing of the expressionlist (so my custom expressions also show up automaticaly if I change them).

Now the questions is, can I release it to the public, or would you guys have a problem with that?

Hey Hey! Thanks so much for your work! Looks great!

Ben and Lubo would like to take a look at the program before we "give it the ok." I'll PM you Lubo and Ben's emails and if you can send them a link to the app so they can play with we'll see if we can get you the "ok."

Thanks again!
Kyle
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Postby astinov » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Just wanted to mention also, this is really cool, we are excited about it ! I've been wanting to write a utility like this myself and never found the time!

Erufalion, PM me, I have some details that you can use that will make this tool even better. Make sure you leave your e-mail in the PM.

I'll look into it this weekend.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Erufailon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:53 am

Just letting you know that I got the permission from notionmusic, thank you, I'm just kinda lost in the whole licensing and linked libraries issue, so hang on until I figure it out. It was written in java, using Netbeans 6.8, and it links two libraries, and extends some classes that are part of the java api. The libraries as far as I'm aware are under the gnu lgpl, while netbeans and java is gnu gpl with classpath exception, so I should be fine releasing it whatever way I want, but I want to make sure.
Erufailon

Postby arkham00 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 am

Hi, any news about that ?
arkham00

Postby robsogge » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:49 am

Hi arkham, if you go to: download/file.php?id=93 you can still find the file, haven't tried it myself though...
robsogge

Previous

Return to NOTION