Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

"Private Use" square replacing symbols on staff.

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

"Private Use" square replacing symbols on staff.

Postby antwan711 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:44 pm

I haven't been able to find anyone with similar issues on these forums during search attempts, so I'm posting to find out how I can get rid of these square boxes that are replacing all symbols within my staffs in all projects in NOTION3. Within these square are big Ws stacked on top of a Ms and it has thick boarders that have printed on them "PRIVATE USE" and "EOOO" and "FSFF." Anyone else run into this? I'm running a purchased and registered copy that is up to date.

Also, another unrelated question I have is concerning the number of measures displayed on a single line. I go to Score -> Parts Options -> and change to value of "Measures per System" to the desired 4, but empty systems are still displaying 6 and (occasionally) 4 measures per line while filled out systems are displaying 5. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all help.
antwan711

Re: "Private Use" square replacing symbols on staff.

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:05 am

antwan711 wrote:I haven't been able to find anyone with similar issues on these forums during search attempts, so I'm posting to find out how I can get rid of these square boxes that are replacing all symbols within my staffs in all projects in NOTION3. Within these square are big Ws stacked on top of a Ms and it has thick boarders that have printed on them "PRIVATE USE" and "EOOO" and "FSFF." Anyone else run into this? I'm running a purchased and registered copy that is up to date.

Also, another unrelated question I have is concerning the number of measures displayed on a single line. I go to Score -> Parts Options -> and change to value of "Measures per System" to the desired 4, but empty systems are still displaying 6 and (occasionally) 4 measures per line while filled out systems are displaying 5. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all help.

The "square boxes" thing sounds like a font problem, and there is a problem with Jazz fonts when they are not installed or configured correctly, so if you do a search on Jazz fonts, there are some posts about the problem and the solution . . .

Depending on whether you are running Windows or OS X (Mac), another possibility is the way you have the default fonts specified globally . . .

[NOTE: On the Mac, you can use the "Font Book" utility to validate fonts, and there is more information about this in Mac OS X Help . . . ]

It also can be a "localization" issue, but there should be a solution for the problem . . .

It might be helpful if you can post a small screen capture or image showing the way the "square boxes" look on the screen . . .

Regarding "measures per system", all I know about it is that it can be set both in "Full Score Options . . . " and "Parts Options . . . ", so there might be a conflict among these two . . .

And while checking these configuration dialogs, you might do some experiments with "Standard" and "Jazz" as the "Notation Style", as well as with the font sizes (specified in "points" or "pts.") . . .

On the Mac, I have "Notation Style" set to "Standard", and the "Notation Size" values are "4 pts." and "5 pts.", respectively for "Full Score Options . . . " and "Parts Options . . . " . . .

Keep us posted on what you discover! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 am

Hi this is Brian from NOTION Music Tech Support. If you are having a problem with just the jazz font, please go to Macintosh HD\Applications\Font Book. You will want to ctrl-click on any jazz font families in Font Book and disable them. If the problem exists for the standard notation as well, you will want to clear your Pram which will also clear your font cache. Here is an excellent article about resettting your PRAM. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379 Please let me know if you have any problems.
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby FastTriggerFish » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 am

Hi Brian,
I've got exactly the same issue and disabled the fonts as you indicated but it didn't solve the problem.
Do I need to do anything else ?
Thank you.
FastTriggerFish

Postby tonygardner » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm having the same problem, and am wondering if this is due to the fact that I was using the JazzCord font in Microsoft Word previously, and probably hadn't done a Control-Q to quit Word entirely to release the font cache (or whatever it does).

I'm also curious why Brian is suggesting that we disable the jazz fonts, as the overall concept is somewhat counter intuitive to getting them to work.

Thoughts?
tonygardner

Return to NOTION