Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Miroslav, manual string trill? (don't know technique name)

Miroslav, manual string trill? (don't know technique name)

Postby wmorrison » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm

In guitar terms, what I need to do would be called hammer-ons and pull-offs, but I want to do this for bowed instruments, while the bow is moving continuously over the string. Like the trill, except controlling the timing with individual notes.

Nothing I've tried works. Each note has a separate new attack. Is it possible?
wmorrison

Re: Miroslav, manual string trill? (don't know technique nam

Postby wmorrison » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:53 pm

BTW, it's slur, which is what I tried first, but it's not working for me. That is, if I press ctrl-i to bring up Miroslav, I can see it play a different channel when it hits the slurred notes, but it sounds the same as the first.

Can anybody else with Notion SLE for Miroslav Philharmonik confirm that? I did have some trouble getting it set up, so I'm not sure whether it's just my computer, or Miroslav, or Notion SLE that is the problem.
wmorrison

Re: Miroslav, manual string trill? (don't know technique nam

Postby catshsh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi there,
There is no problem definitly with your computer. What you expect to create is the most difficult thing using notion and miroslav, in my opinion.

I tried once to do so. I've had to modify the Miro preset so that the "under slur" articulation is played best, and the miro soundset does not provide anything very good.
On the chanel permorming the slur, try to load a sample from the "string section" sounds (not the same folder as the string ensemble), as their attack are shorter an so much better for trills. This is the best result I could find out.
Drawback is that the string section is a set of multisample from the entire orchestra (strings) playing.
In high notes, the sound is using violins, in medium, the sound mixes violins and violas, and of course low notes are a mix of violas, cellos and basses.
Hope this trick will help you.

The presets for Miro in Notion are very good, yet, the miro sound basics are not that good for all articulations.
If you want staccato, it sounds like heaven, but all legato/slur have a smooth attack that are aweful when playing fast (such as trills).
By the way, and this is why I love miro, one can modify the samples plaid back. Try using sampleTank for modifying the string attack, then save your new preset and reload it into IK Miro from Notion.
catshsh

Return to NOTION SLE