Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Planning a Rewire Tutorial?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Planning a Rewire Tutorial?

Postby solo1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Normally I have no problem using Rewire, but I am with Notion and Cubase.

I open Cubase first then Notion. I have no trouble sending Midi to Notion and hearing the sound back in Cubase's mixer once I enable the Rewire audio channels. But the transport either doesn't work (Cubase doesn't start Notion) or if I click record in Notion it starts the Cubase sequencer.

I use Melodyne rewired to Cubase on this same system and it works fine.
solo1

Re: Planning a Rewire Tutorial?

Postby astinov » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:13 am

Hi solo1,

Yes I do plan on making a ReWire tutorial. I'll try to get one before I depart overseas for two weeks. If not I'll make one when I come back.

Currently, NOTION transmits only audio and syncing info using ReWire. We will include the MIDI transfer as well though in an update. We used Cubase 4 and 5 here, which version of Cubase do you own? (PM please)

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby sepheritoh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:10 am

Lubo

I have done some work on the rewire side which I think I must share with the rest. I have been busy the last few days, but over the weekend I will hopefully get the last parts together and share all my knowledge gained. You can then decide how much of it you wish to include in your tutorials.

I found that Rewire works great, as long as you keep many small little issues in mind, e.g. syncronization between aplications is an issue (especially where there are changes in tempo and signatures). Also, some rewire applications have up to 3 lead in bars, which makes everything you do run 3 bars behind the rest, while others have only 1 bar. The issue which we already touched upon in another thread is the fact that not all rewire aplications accept midi input through rewire, meaning you need to export midi from one app and then import it into another.

If all these factors are handled correctly you can have lots of joy with rewire.
sepheritoh

Postby astinov » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:47 am

Thanks sepheritoh,

Yeah, ReWire is a beast in its own. There's a lot that it can do, but it also can have a lot of kinks, (that's true for any app, btw). When I make those tutorials, I'll mainly concentrate on getting something useful out of it, hopefully I'll have time to make one today.

Thanks,

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby jazzalien » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Maybe Cubase works only as Rewire Master and dosn't support the Slave Modus.
jazzalien

Postby astinov » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:55 pm

That is true, yes, Cubase will not run as a slave, only as host.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Return to NOTION