Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

SOLVED : Anyone had problems with Dynamics?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

SOLVED : Anyone had problems with Dynamics?

Postby JFetter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:13 pm

I have a really weird problem.

I have an old score from Notion 2 that I loaded in Notion 3. I did a bunch of work and had problems with the dynamics not working in a certain spot, and found that the problem had something to do with OLD measures I had input with Notion 2.

OK, so I figure a conflict - no problem.

I KEPT this same score, but deleted EVERYTHING that I would have input from notion 2 and redid it all, and just kept the newer music - problem solved, until now.

I'm on the same piece, and for some reason the dynamics have stopped working. If I go back to any of the previous measures and delete everything in that measure, my dynamics are fine.

For example : Say measure 50 is the one with dynamics that don't work. If I delete measure 49, 50 now works fine. If I delete measure 48, same thing. And so on..

EDIT: I found the problem!

This is a sneaky one so make sure it doesn't get you! Apparently, when you are adding dynamics, (F for Forte, for instance), you can add the symbol (F) either ABOVE or BELOW the staff. Even though technically they are almost always below, notion will allow you to add them above if you position the mouse pointer just right.

Now, if you happen to place a dynamic marker ABOVE the note you're trying to effect, I've found that downstream your music will not work correctly. Dynamics usually become non-existent and the music will play at a standard volume.

This explains why I would have a note marked FFFF and the next one PPPP and they sounded the same!
JFetter

Re: SOLVED : Anyone had problems with Dynamics?

Postby JFetter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Bump for people to see.

Problem solved.
JFetter

Postby Revson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 pm

JFetter wrote:Bump for people to see.

Problem solved.

And thanks for sharing this.
Revson

Postby DrH » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:03 pm

JFetter,

Thanks for figuring this out.

Have you submitted a bug report on it by clicking on "Submit a Bug" at the entry level of this Forum? Notion is really interested in having bugs reported this way, and I am confident that they will take care of it.

Just a thought,

DrH
DrH

Postby astinov » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to quickly comment, check the User Guide in the Dynamics section, where it speaks of dynamics for multi-voice. I believe this is what is causing the confusion here.

Although it takes a bit to get used to, this feature is really powerful, because it allows you to have independent dynamics for voice 1 and 2 on each staff. On a grand staff you can have 4 lines with independent dynamics. You simply place the dynamic for the top voice "above" and for the lower "below" the staff and you can then control them independently. This is really hard to do with MIDI, unless you use different channels for each voice and then your mixer would have 4 different faders for a piano for example.

With NOTION, there is one instrument but multiple dynamic voices.

Hope that helps clarify, and thanks for bringing it up. Sorry to be slow to respond.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Return to NOTION