Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

N3 Sounds Woes (and Solution?)

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Would providing a method to access installed N2 Sound Kits be helpful?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 2

N3 Sounds Woes (and Solution?)

Postby DrH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Greetings and Salutation!

Well, it is becoming apparent that there are *many* problems with the N3 sounds. In addition to what has already been discussed, I would like to add:

1. The oboe sounds like a clarinet in its middle register.
2. The solo violin is tinny all around and the solo cello is also tinny in its higher register.
3. The attack on the staccato techniques is far too hard (much better in N2).
4. There is an inconsistent delay in the start of trill techniques (some delay so much that no trill is heard at all on shorter note durations or at faster tempos). Trills should start immediately, with a way to evoke an optional delay, if desired.

That said (as well as what has already been pointed out elsewhere), I would like to offer up the following suggestion:

Although Disk 2 provides a healthy amount of N2 sounds (none of which so far has exhibited the problems encountered with the N3 sounds), it does not include *all* playing techniques for those of who purchased all of the N2 Sound Kits and have incorporated many of the techniques not included on Disk 2 in our existing scores.

Therefore, is there *any* way that the Notion wizards (and please believe me when I say that I think you all have done a *great* and Herculean job with N3) can figure out a way for us to access *all* of our installed N2 Sound Kit sounds/techniques (even through a quick-and-no-frills Vst) for use with N3 kinda ASAP? It could really be a quick solution for those of us who want to work with N3 while you spend quality time on fixing the N3 sounds.

Just a thought that I hope is given serious considertion,

DrH
DrH

Poll Question

Postby DrH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Well, it appears that the Poll feature has problems.

The question I entered (that goes along with my suggestion above) was:

Would making the N2 Sound Kits available for use with N3 be helpful?

The top radio button is "Yes", the bottom button is "No".

Hopefully, this glitch won't invalidate the results or the message. :-)

DrH
DrH

Re: N3 Sounds Woes (and Solution?)

Postby Unfinished » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:40 pm

The writing is in white (highlight it) :)
Unfinished

Re: Poll Question

Postby Revson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 pm

DrH wrote:Well, it appears that the Poll feature has problems.

The question I entered (that goes along with my suggestion above) was:

Would making the N2 Sound Kits available for use with N3 be helpful?

The top radio button is "Yes", the bottom button is "No".

Hopefully, this glitch won't invalidate the results or the message. :-)

DrH

Yes! In fact, I just logged on to the forum searching for an answer to the question "how do get all my N2 expanded string sounds into N3?"

I do believe the good folks here are working on this.

And I second the fab job that has been done on N3. Easily one of the better GUI's amongst all types of software I've used.
Revson

Postby JFetter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 pm

I have to agree the violin (solo) leaves something to be desired. It's worst (imo) when you have a somewhat fast sequence of notes, and you have them all slurred together... makes the violin sound like an accordian.

However I think the solo Cello is quite good, and the clarinet is exceptionally SUPERB!!!!
JFetter

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:09 am

Thank you all for all the comments and findings. This will help us make NOTION3 the best product possible.

To best address these issues I would like you to use the "Submit a Bug" form. There is a link located at the top of the forum. This will be the best way for us to capture and track the data that you provide.

Thanks again for the comments.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby astinov » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:29 am

However I think the solo Cello is quite good, and the clarinet is exceptionally SUPERB!!!!

Thank you JFetter,

While focusing on problems is what we do all day here at NOTION it is nice to hear when people are happy with our work. A HUGE amount of work went into NOTION3 and as DrH diligently notes, there are still some issues with the sounds. We will be working on correcting those, so far the ratio appears to be much less than 1 issue per gig of sounds :).

I would also like to assure everyone that we take those and other issues very seriously and we do want to fix them ASAP. This is obviously high on our priority lists, but the best way to help us with that is to use the provided Bug Submission report. Kinks are kins, they need to be ironed out. There's no question about that. The way to help us do that (if you're interested in helping) is to file the bug report.

And finally we have always taken care of our NOTION2 customers and again I want to assure you we will continue to do so. I know of no other company that gave away a major upgrade of such magnitude as NOTION3 for free to their loyal customers, particularly in this industry. Our dedication is reflected by our actions and not by my words.

So hold on tight, have a little patience, we are working as hard as humainly possible to improve the product.
In the mean time, I think you have a superb product in your hands! I'm proud of what we have accomplished with N3 and I'm seeing the effect it has on customers every hour.

Thanks guys!

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby JFetter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:17 am

I agree we have an AMAZING product on our hands, and an even MORE amazing company that allowed us to upgrade for free to N3.

You guys are second to none with your customers!
JFetter

A Real Team Effort

Postby DrH » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:47 am

astinov wrote:Our dedication is reflected by our actions and not by my words. So hold on tight, have a little patience, we are working as hard as humainly possible to improve the product.
In the mean time, I think you have a superb product in your hands! I'm proud of what we have accomplished with N3 and I'm seeing the effect it has on customers every hour.

Lubo,

Notion's actions have indeed been commendable, and I hope that Notion in turn realizes that the spirit of my reporting of glitches and problems is to help you make N3 even more superb. All of you should indeed feel proud of your accomplishments just as I feel proud to have the opportunity to help you make N3 even more awesome!

Onward and Upward!

DrH
DrH

Return to NOTION