Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

EWQLSO

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

EWQLSO

Postby Erufailon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi,

this is my EWQLSO rules file. It also uses a custom expressionlist.tpk, the same as my rock setup.

So, the setup is as follows:
Whenever you see a KS, it's the KS master patch, and when I say DXF, choose your favorite DXF patch.

Midi port A:
1: PFL KS
2: PFL DXF
3: SFL KS
4: 3FL KS
5: 3FL DXF
6: SOB KS
7: 3OB Ks
8: 3OB DXF
9: SCL KS
10: 3CL KS
11: 3CL DXF
12: BSN KS
13: BSN DXF
14: SFH KS
15: 6FH KS
16: 6FH DXF

port B:
1: STP KS
2: 2TP KS
3: 2TP DXF
4: STB KS
5: 4TB KS
6: 4TB DXF
7: STU KS
8: STU DXF
9: 18V KS
10: 18VDXF
11: 11V KS
12: 11V DXF
13: VAS KS
14: VAS DXF
15: VCS KS
16: VCS DXF

port c:
1:CBS KS
2: CBS DXF
3:SVL KS
4: SVL DXF
5: SVA KS
6: SVA DXF
7: SVC KS
8: SVC DXF
9: SCB KS
10: SCB DXF
11: Harp pluck
12: all cymbals
13: All gongs
14: 3 snares
15: Timp hits LR
16: Bass drum concert

D:
1: Steinway master lite from EW pianos, not much to do here

Usage:

there are some custom expressions that apply to all instruments:
Repetition and End repetition, legato and end legato, portamento and end portamento turn on or off the respective switches in play. In te included expressionlist.tpk legato and portamento might be missing. They should be added as mlen and mlef and mpon and mpof.

Two more very important global expressions:
DXF: Switches to the dxf version of the instrument, it's a note expression, so it only applies to the note it's on. As you can see hairpin-cc is set to 1, so the hairpin directly affects the DXF instrument, allowing easy creation of swells right in the score without any midi editing.
division: There is divi. and unis. One switches to the solo instrument the other back to the section. This way you can create divisions inside 1 staff without having to split the staffs and having to create a third one for the section for division's sake. So instead of having 4 staves as Flute1, flute2, flute3 and 3 flutes. you can have one called flute and control division by these expressions. There is a limit to this of course, as you only have 1 patch loaded, but ultiple wouldn't fit into the 4 midi ports anyway and would be pretty hard on ram and cpu as well for me. And the limitation is just that you can't play the same note on 2 flutes, but it wouldn't be a good idea anyway due to phasing problems. Also, there is no division for strings. I wish I could do that, but even though there are smaller sections for each, they don't have a master KS patch with all the articulations I'd need, so I decided against it.

I'm not going into details specific to each instrument, they can easily be figured out from the rules file. But slurs do legato, espressivo and qleg are also two global expressions that switch on or off, then there is lyrical for those instruments that have it. These also mix, so using espressivo then placing some slurred notes uses the exp-leg patch, while using qleg then slurs uses qlegato. Basicly all the articulations are accessible that are in the master KS patches.

As I said the expressionlist.tpk might be missing some expressions as I changed them around when I did my realguitar setup and might have removed some in the process.

And again, overwriting the expressionlist.tpk is only advisable if you really know what you are doing and you can accept killing your Notion installation (and even then, make sure you backup the original one!). If either of these don't apply to you, don't do it. Also if you change your expressionlist, know that Notion overwrites it with each update. I wish it was calculated into Notion's philosophy as user editable as it's the most powerful tool we have.

And there are some choir rules on D 13-16. Basicly it just allows you to use slurs to hold the syllable. I was only able to do it, so the sylable is held over to the next note after the slur.

And then there are the soft-pedal, pedal and staccato rules for EWQL Pianos.

(Funny that .prules extension is not allowed by the forum engine, so I had to zip it :) )

Midiout.zip
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
Erufailon

Re: EWQLSO

Postby dgriffee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:07 pm

and so now your...
custom expressionlist.tpk file
...looks like what, hmmm? :geek:
dgriffee

Postby Erufailon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 pm

In the other thread, the realguitar one I've included the expressionlist.tpk in the zip.
Erufailon

Postby dgriffee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Erufailon wrote:In the other thread, the realguitar one I've included the expressionlist.tpk in the zip.

...ah yes, thanks! Your "rock setup" is also a very informative example by way of config technicalities (even though I am interested in orchestral stuff so missed it at first)

Are you using a software midi-loopback "virtual" driver like LoobB30 or similar other (or what?) to connect the four midi out ports from Notion to your respecive 4x16 groups of midi channels?
...or is each of the four midi ports in your setup actually connected to a "real" separate slave machine?

Presumably, now you always begin by working from some big template score that has something like 50 or 60 staf lines for all those instruments all preconfigured to the appropriate midi channels, and maybe you could kindly share the blank template notion score file you created for this as well? It must have been a lot of tedious work to click up such a template (big grin) , so it would be delighful to use as a starting point for others to devise their own configs based upnon variations taken from your clever midi trickery.
dgriffee

Postby labou » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 am

First thanks for sharing this... I did some customisation on my EWQL, but nothing like this, so it is very informative.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm missing the part on how you actually trigger the dxf1, mlen, mlef, ... expression in your staff, does key="extx" name="Expression text" a entry allowing to trigger expression on staff text entry? Or do you actually need to set them also in some in the TechniquesList.xml file so you can pick them from the expression tool bar??

Also, one other question, if I'm undertsanding your setup correctly, you actually set in Notion only the KS patch midi channel and the other one, DXF and divisi, get trigger by that channel, so you will end in Notion with something like Port A channel 1, 3, 6, 9, .... , right? I guess I will try it out and see :)

Thanks.
labou

Postby Forever Mourning » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 pm

First off, I'd like to thank Erufailon for his (I assume his) hard work and extreme generosity! I've been reading your forums for a while now, and gradually putting together my orchestral studio.

I had an insane amount of trouble trying to get the DXF patches to work. So as I was working with the XML file to turn on the DXF (because they were not being turned on), I started coding the DXF to do so, and it worked. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, "I'm working with the incorrect midi channel!!" So I assume you are supposed to assign the instruments to the midi channels that have the DXF patches in them and NOT to the KS MASTER channels. Am I correct in this?

I seem to be having trouble getting the hairpins to control the mod wheel swells. Maybe I'm missing something here?

I'll be adding more code so I can get killer string runs along with EWQLSO. Check these out: http://www.orchestraltools.com/

Be well,

Ryan Chilcote
Forever Mourning

Return to Share Custom Rules