Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion Demo Not Working For Me

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion Demo Not Working For Me

Postby twistedblues » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Notion Error Administrator.jpg
Notion Error Administrator.jpg (154.05 KiB) Viewed 10589 times
Notion Error.jpg
Notion Error.jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 10589 times

Hi

I am Trying to try the Notion Demo and I get these popups.

How do I try the demo? Thanks!

Tried on two computers
twistedblues

Re: Notion Demo Not Working For Me

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 pm

You may want to download the demo again. The first time I downloaded the demo it would not install. After the second download, it installed without a problem.
Mark

Postby twistedblues » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:51 pm

I did try a couple other downloads a couple weeks ago also.
twistedblues

Postby twistedblues » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:22 am

This error comes up after installing and clicking on the program to run it.
twistedblues

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:43 am

Then is sounds like you are selecting the wrong option when you boot up the demo to run it. To my recollection, there is an option to register and then another option to run it in demo mode. You must be clicking on the wrong option, which then requires a registration number. Make sure you are clicking on the option that asks if you want to run in demo mode for evaluation.
Mark

Postby twistedblues » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:14 am

There is only one shortcut. thanks for helping by the way :)
twistedblues

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 am

I'm not referring to the shortcut. After you click on the shortcut to launch the demo there will be a dialogue box which will have two options: 1) to register the demo; and 2) to boot up the demo for a free trial. You need to select the free trial or demo option. The fact that you are being asked for a key code indicates you are not launching the trial software in demo mode because, if you do, you will not be prompted to enter an "Unlocking key" in the first place. Rather, the software will boot into the demo mode, upon which you will then need to download the instruments you would like to use with the demo. If you are seeing the Registration box you posted above immediately upon clicking on the shortcut to launch the demo, then there is a problem with the demo. But that Registration box looks to be what you would see when you select the wrong option. You need to select the demo option.
Mark

Postby twistedblues » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:44 am

The only dialogue box's that appear after launching the shortcut are the ones in the 2 pics. one ran normal and one as administrator. windows 7 32
twistedblues

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:40 pm

I notice the second pic shows a checkmark in the box entitled, "Send me product information and updates". I suggest you remove the checkmark and try to launch the demo again. At the very least, a checkmark in this box will require you to enter an e-mail address. If you don't enter an address, it will likely prevent Notion from launching into demo mode. Then try selecting 'Cancel' or 'OK' to see if the demo will launch. If Cancel don't work, then try OK. Just a thought.
Mark

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 pm

(1) In Windows, shortcuts can have parameters, so another possibility is that the shortcut has additional information that instructs the application to start in a specific way . . .

You can bypass the shortcut and launch the application directly by locating the executable file (.exe) and double-clicking it, which will start the application without any specific command-line parameters . . .

(2) Another possibility, which is more likely, is that the "SERVICE INSTALL FAILED" message is telling you something important, although in a cryptic way . . .

Notion 3 uses web-based licensing software that probably has some type of challenge-response mechanism, where every so often the licensing software essentially sends a tiny packet of information to a licensing server as a "challenge" and then based on the reply ("response") from the licensing server determines whether Notion 3 is properly licensed, is running in demo mode, or is unlicensed, and then acts accordingly . . .

Without getting too technical, a "service" typically is a special type of program that runs in the background and does a variety of things that in one way or another extend and enhance the operating system or provide additional features or whatever . . .

Whatever!

This happens in Windows and Mac OS X, but it is done in different ways depending on the operating system . . .

Mac OS X is built on an UNIX foundation, and services typically are kept separate from what most Mac OS X users are aware, but if you know a bit about UNIX, you can use the Terminal application on the Mac to switch to the UNIX part of Mac OS X, where among other things if you are not very careful you have the ability to do things that even AppleCare technical support experts cannot remedy other than by telling you to flatten your hard drive and to do a clean install of everything, but UNIX is very powerful, and some folks have a bit of FUN tinkering with the UNIX stuff . . .

Windows has some UNIX influences, as well, but there are other ways in Windows to work with services, and there are very nice graphic user interface (GUI) applications for creating, controlling, and managing services in Windows . . .

The primary difference in philosophies or design patterns is that Apple computers generally have everything configured toward the goal of making it as easy as possible for the user, but this is not always the case with Windows, where for a variety of reasons some types of services are not automatically installed or activated, which for the most part actually makes a bit of sense, since there is logic to the idea of not doing something when it is unnecessary, but so what . . .

So what!

As an example of something that was a complete and total surprise to me, several years ago I wanted to do some experiments with the Apache web server, so I started getting information about how it might be installed on the Mac, which one of my friends who does a lot of web stuff in Windows thought this was pretty funny, because as he explained and then quickly demonstrated, Mac OS X comes with the Apache web server installed, as is JAVA, PHP and SQLite (a SQL database), which basically made my idea a bit like going to McDonald's and asking if it is possible to get a Cheeseburger that has cheese . . .

I had no idea at the time . . .

Summarizing, even though "SERVICE INSTALL FAILED" is a bit on the cryptic side, it indicates something, and it probably provides a clue to what is happening, which might be an account permissions type of thing, where even though you login with an Administrator account, the particular account might have additional security features activated that prevent certain types of services from being installed and provide no information or clues beyond "SERVICE INSTALL FAILED" . . .

I have not done anything on a Windows 7 machine so far, but there should be some special applications somewhere that make it possible for you to examine system logs and error messages, which will provide more information on the "SERVICE" that had problems or was prevented from being installed . . .

The best strategy is to call Notion Music technical support, really . . .

Really! :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Next

Return to NOTION