Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

LA Scoring Strings Custom Rules File

LA Scoring Strings Custom Rules File

Postby pcartwright » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 am

Hi all. Attached is my custom rules file containing rules for LASS. I've created the rules to utilize the patches with Kontakt's MIDI channels as detailed below:

Esp Leg = A1
Esp Sus = A2
Non Esp Sus = A3
Tremolo = A4
Trill Major = A5
Trill Minor = A6
Con Sordino = A7
Staccato = A8
Spicatto = A9
Pizzicato = A10

Everything seems to play back as expected (at least as I expect). Feel free to post here or message me if you run into any problems.

I haven't included the multis that I use with Kontakt as each piece and each user will undoubtedly want to load divisi, portamento, and glissando patches to his/her taste. I didn't write any rules for glissando or portamento as both of these can be controlled by adjusting the pitch length and velocity in the sequencer overlay.

I did write separate rules for major and minor trills as the keyswitches to control whole/half step trills in the patches are inconsistent across the different instruments. You can, if you choose, tweak the rules file to only use one channel and subsequent patch and control the type of trill manually.
Attachments
Rules.zip
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
pcartwright

Re: LA Scoring Strings Custom Rules File

Postby pcartwright » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 am

I should also note that I have written the rules to play staccato when staccato notes are attached and spicatto when spicatto is applied as a written instruction. I believe I have it written so that a spicatto instruction will supercede stacatto marks.
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:07 pm

I just realized that this thread is probably in the wrong place. Could an admin please move this to thed "share custom rules" thread? I, and other LASS users, would be much obliged.

Regards.
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:03 pm

I've noticed that there seems to be an issue with sending dynamics information a rule set includes switches between different MIDI channels. It seems that several techniques included in my rules won't follow changes in dynamics. Has anyone else noticed this?
pcartwright

Postby Cesare » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:55 pm

By using your rules, does it mean that then I can use LASS like the other librairies (VSL, miroslav etc) in notion?
Cesare

Postby pcartwright » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Cesare wrote:By using your rules, does it mean that then I can use LASS like the other librairies (VSL, miroslav etc) in notion?

Not exactly. Rules for EWQLSO, GPO, VSL, and Miroslav are designed to work with instrument ID numbers (provided by Notion). As I understand it, it's not possible for users to create instrument ID numbers, so I created these custom rules to work as outlined in the custom rule documentation (http://notionmusic.com/support/download ... uments.zip).

You can use these rules to change between articulations, but they aren't as robust as they could be with instrument IDs.

You will need to place these rules in a folder named "Rules" which is placed in the same folder/directory where you save your Notion project files. Also, you will have to use Kontakt 4.1. Other versions of Kontakt which support LASS can be used if you replace
Code: Select all
<plugin id="1315531572">

with the appropriate plugin ID for other Kontakt VSTs.

You will also need to apply patches to the MIDI channels as described in the first post of this thread.

A few things to note:
1. You will need to create the staves from the VST Instrument list (there are no presets for LASS instruments)
2. As noted in this thread, it seems that there's an issue with dynamics being sent to more than one channel, so dynamics may not work as intended on sustained patches.
3. Also, sometimes repeated notes aren't played. It seems like this is an issue with the length of time in which Notion holds on to a note. Use the tab key to see the note lengths and adjust the length of the note preceding the "missing" note.
pcartwright

Postby jazzeck » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 am

First of all, thank you very much for the file. I'm having a few problems though, but for now I only want to know what I am supposed to write in order to trigger the spiccato patch, since I don't see any spiccato symbol in notions VSTI techniques?
By the way, I hope you will keep working on the rules to make it work 100%. I wish I understood how to do this.
jazzeck

Postby pcartwright » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am

jazzeck wrote:First of all, thank you very much for the file. I'm having a few problems though, but for now I only want to know what I am supposed to write in order to trigger the spiccato patch, since I don't see any spiccato symbol in notions VSTI techniques?
By the way, I hope you will keep working on the rules to make it work 100%. I wish I understood how to do this.

You would need to use quick entry ( type an apostrophe followed by "spiccato"). This should trigger the spiccato patch if you have the appropriate patches loaded to MIDI channel A8 in Kontakt.

I'm not sure how much more development I can lend to the LASS rules at the moment. My computer does not have enough RAM to be able to use LASS effectively, so I probably won't resume development of LASS rules until I get a new computer (or at least more RAM).
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Can you enter any text you want, or only the things in the Express Entry table listed at the end of chapter 6 in the manual?
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 pm

It needs to be the quick entry as you describe. I think that is the only articulation that I assigned to a word direction (the others should be generated by actual staccato markings, etc.
pcartwright

Next

Return to Custom Rules Discussion