Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Occasional absence of sound from Notion 3

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Occasional absence of sound from Notion 3

Postby jonknowles8 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:38 pm

For quite some time now, there will be times when I open Notion 3 and there is no sound. I may have just been working on a piece and the sounds worked fine. Then I may close Notion and go online. When I return to Notion, no sound. I reboot the computer and Notion works well again.

This has happened both before and after I installed GPO4. As I recall, it happened with Notion 2 sometimes as well.

Anyone else experienced this? I searched the forum briefly but did not find anything relevant.

Jon

Win XP SP2, Notion 3, GPO4, 2 GB RAM
jonknowles8

Re: Occasional absence of sound from Notion 3

Postby Zblogny » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:29 am

It happens sometimes on my laptop (Vista32) when I use another app (especially Cubase6) before opening Notion3.
This could be a problem with ASIO driver mishandled between the two apps.
Usually I just close all apps, unplug and re-plug my audio interface (Cakewalk UA-4FX), and everything is back in order.
Zblogny

Postby jonknowles8 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm

It does appear to be an issue with my M-Audio Delta.

I'm not using (and haven't opened and then closed) other musical applications when this happens. I may just open a browser, then close it and return to N3, and no sound.

It appears to be between Notion 3/Preferences/Audio settings and the M-Audio Delta control panel. I am trying to use the ASIO settings. Sometimes it defaults to Direct Sound/M-Audio rather than to ASIO.

There is an option in the the M-Audio control panel under Hardware options to disable ASIO options: "Disable audio app use of Monitor Mixer and Patchbay/Router". Checked or unchecked this does not appear to help.

I'll keep at it and get in touch with Notion support if I can't resolve it.

Jon
jonknowles8

Postby jonknowles8 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:22 pm

An update, in case anyone experiences a similar problem.

Brian of Notion tech support was very helpful in exploring this issue. After much testing, it seems the issue is that my M-Audio (Delta Series) Audiophile 2496 sound card isn't "letting go" of Notion. Even using ASIO4all, a free download and general ASIO problem solver, the issue is not resolved.

I can open Notion and use it in Preferences/Audio/Direct Sound mode without any issues. When I close Notion, and then reopen it, no playback. If I reboot the computer, there is playback.

It could be related to some malware I had on the computer that my computer tech guy removed, combing the registry line by line. Reinstalling the Audiophile 2496 sound card didn't help. There are a few other things I could try. In the meantime, Direct Sound it is.

Jon
I'm using: Win XP SP2, dual core Pentium 4 2.1 GHz, 2GB RAM, Notion 3, GPO4 (Aria)
jonknowles8

Postby jonknowles8 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 am

One more update.

I find I can use ASIO with Notion on boot up. So far so good.

I bought Reaper, as others advised elsewhere on the forum, and I like it fine. At $40 it's a real bargain. However, if I try to open Reaper with Notion open, then Reaper advises that ASIO won't load / is not active. So I go to Notion and change it to Audio/Direct Sound. Then Reaper no longer gives me that message.

I see there are lots of issues on the M-Audio forum with the supposedly very fine 2496 card. More so with Win 7, but also with XP, which is what I have. Even obtaining the latest drivers - and having the install work - is something I haven't been able to accomplish yet.

ASIO4ALL (a free download) really doesn't help my situation. The above workaround is what I'll use for now.

Jon
jonknowles8

Postby derAbgang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Strangest thing ... I'm having sort-of the same problem. When you don't have any sound, if you open the mixer during the "silent" playback, are the meters active, i.e., is there activity?

Also, if you File -> Close and then open a new project (or one known to play), is there sound?

I'm trying to tell if my problem is your problem or if it is simply some sort of corrupt file. I have this one file I've been working on but all of a sudden it simply doesn't emit sound anymore, mixer doesn't show any signs of life but playback cursor is moving. I'm scoring for small orchestra using Garritan "Play" VST. When I open the VST interface, no sound comes out if I test using the Play keyboard -- which doesn't surprise me, I guess.

If I File -> Close and then open a new file, setup a Garritan instrument, enter a few notes and it plays.

I'm stumped ... (and a new user to boot).

David
derAbgang

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi David.
What is your OS?
Notion build?
I work with GPO almost daily but never noticed something like this...
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby derAbgang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:50 pm

fabiolcati wrote:What is your OS?

Windows 7 64-bit -- which reminds me that I have a OSX and I can try the file there... more in a bit.

fabiolcati wrote:Notion build?

fabiolcati wrote:I work with GPO almost daily but never noticed something like this...
derAbgang

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

fabiolcati wrote:I work with GPO almost daily but never noticed something like this...

I forgot: on Mac.
Sorry
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Return to NOTION