Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Logic, Reaper and other DAWS

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Logic, Reaper and other DAWS

Postby jonknowles8 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 am

I would like to start using a DAW once I have finished a piece in Notion 3. I am using N3 sounds, N2 sounds, will possibly use GPO sounds (I have it but have not installed it) and possibly Miroslav sounds.

I have Logic 5.5.0 for the PC and used it a few years ago. I may tackle Logic again, but am wondering if it would be better to get something newer like Reaper. One review of Reaper said that it is highly customizable; perhaps more than many users want. I may be in that group. :) Logic is very customizable also - I was able to use Logic to some effect but don't find it user-friendly.

This will be for personal use, e.g. posting on web sites and Youtube.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations about Logic 5.5, Reaper and/or any others as a DAW.

Jon
jonknowles8

Re: Logic, Reaper and other DAWS

Postby Erufailon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:22 am

Why don't you try reaper? Free for 30 days, and it's exactly the same as the full version.
Erufailon

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:59 am

jonknowles8 wrote:I would like to start using a DAW once I have finished a piece in Notion 3. I am using N3 sounds, N2 sounds, will possibly use GPO sounds (I have it but have not installed it) and possibly Miroslav sounds.

I have Logic 5.5.0 for the PC and used it a few years ago. I may tackle Logic again, but am wondering if it would be better to get something newer like Reaper. One review of Reaper said that it is highly customizable; perhaps more than many users want. I may be in that group. :) Logic is very customizable also - I was able to use Logic to some effect but don't find it user-friendly.

This will be for personal use, e.g. posting on web sites and Youtube.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations about Logic 5.5, Reaper and/or any others as a DAW.

Jon

Logic on a PC? Really? I thought it only lived on Mac's.

Give Reaper a shot, although I know that there is a known bug/issue with Reaper and NOTION3 for ReWire. Logic is SOLID with N3 using ReWire.

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 am

As far as I know, Logic is no longer available outside of Mac environment.

Reaper is very cheap and powerful. Not that friendly to me, but, you see, my experience with DAWs is very little (pretty null).

Regards
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 am

fabiolcati wrote:As far as I know, Logic is no longer available outside of Mac environment.

Reaper is very cheap and powerful. Not that friendly to me, but, you see, my experience with DAWs is very little (pretty null).

Regards

That's what I thought....I've never seen Logic on a PC.

Now that ProTools 9 is independent of hardware it might be an option. I know that ProTools is spot on with ReWire and N3.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 am

When Apple bought Logic a few years ago, they dumped suport for PC, over half a million users!
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby achambily » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:15 am

Try Reaper.
And forget everything else ;)
Notion, Cubase 7, EWQLSO Gold, VSL SE
Win7 x64, I7 Dell studio laptop, 8GB RAM
M-Audio FTP
M-Audio KeyStudio 25
Clavinova CLP 811
Sennheiser e840
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Yamaha HS50M

http://chambily.com/
http://soundcloud.com/axel-casadesus/sets
achambily

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Jon. I used Logic 5.5 for PC a few years back until Windows support ceased after the Apple / Emagic takeover. I still run it on Windows 7 64-bit through Virtual XP for the purpose of exporting older compositions.

There is one very important issue to consider when using Logic on Windows: it will not recognize more than 1GB of RAM and you will receive 'out of memory' error warnings when programming midi or recording; this makes it impractical to use for RAM-heavy VST instruments. I use NOTION SLE with Miroslav and the full orchestra template pushes 2GB RAM so you see it's not a good option to use Logic.

Reaper is a very well received sequencer. Realistically, I would seriously consider it.
Ian

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 am

I did a quick evaluation of Reaper v3.74 for the Mac, and it looks very nice! :)

I had a tiny bit of trouble with the user interface and some of the Preferences for while, but doing a bit of reading and a few experiments resolved everything . . .

Part of the problem was the result of Reaper tending to prefer to display numerical values with basic formatting, which took me a while to realize, where for example in the "Audio Device" configuration pane there is a variable named "Request sample rate" with the default value "48000", which looked a bit strange until I realized that it was "48 kHz" or "48-kHz" the way I am accustomed to seeing it formatted . . .

Reaper will do it automatically, but I was experimenting and had checked the option box for the "Request sample rate", and since the option box was checked, it was very important that the numerical value be correct. . .

So, knowing that the WAVE file I was using to test playback was done at standard CD resolution (44.1-kHz), I changed the value to "44100", and the playback switched from being choppy to being very smooth . . .

There are times when it is useful to be able to delve into numerical values for doing a bit of fine-tuning, so this is fine with me, and it did not take very long to discover how it works . . .

I need to see how Reaper works with VSTi instruments and VST plug-ins, but it looks good so far, and I did a quick experiment with ReWire where Reaper is controlling Notion 3, and it moves the transport, so there is some level of ReWire support, although I did not do a lot of ReWire testing . . .

Summarizing, the Mac version of Reaper is intriguing, really . . .

Really! :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby pcartwright » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:32 am

I think Notion and Reaper complement each other nicely. For those looking at Reaper for the first time, don't be turned off by whatever graphics, labels, or settings you may dislike. One of the best things about Reaper is its ability to be customized to the users liking (which will be even more apparent when version 4 is released). Check out the Reaper stash for custom themes and be sure to check out the manual to better learn how to customize various elements of the DAW.
pcartwright

Next

Return to NOTION