Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Another question about dynamics.

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Another question about dynamics.

Postby Francois2010 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 am

Hi,

Are the dynamics fp, ffp, etc. fz. (See picture) are meant to be heard? I join and I hear nothing.
Attachments
FDdynamics.JPG
FDdynamics.JPG (10.04 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
I love Notion ! I love to compose !
Native langage french. Be patient with my English.
Francois2010

Re: Another question about dynamics.

Postby thorrild » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 am

None of the marks are hooked up for playback. Try sending a feature request to Notion about this.
Workarounds: Well, some of the marks can be handled by a "normal" dynamic, which you can then hide from view so that only the non-playing mark is seen: Especially on short notes, f works for fz, sf and sfz; ff is good for ffz and sffz. But the more complex dynamics are difficult or impossible to represent in Notion playback (fp, ffp, sfp and sffp. Sometimes you can get a bit of the intended expression by dividing the note value into two tied notes and attach a loud dynamic to the first, a soft dynamic to the second, and add a hairpin in between. It's not great, though.

Clues that these marks are not hooked up: They can coexist on the same note with a dynamic which is hooked up, and you can't attach hairpins to them.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Francois2010 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Thank you,
There are many compromises in your reply. I will report this problem to the support. Personally, I do not want to look for ticks to make it work. I want what is written to be heard too. That's why I paid for N3.

Thank you again!
Francois2010

Postby lazerlike42 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Actually, there are rules which handle these. I am not sure whether or not they do anything for Notion instruments, but for others - Garritan, Miroslav, EWQL, etc. - they either already do something with the out-of-the-box rules, or you can edit the rules files to make them work. For example, the EWQL rules file has the following:

<rule name="sffz">
<if technique="sffz" />
<velocity-change bump="30" />
</rule>

<rule name="sff">
<if technique="sff" />
<velocity-change bump="15" />
</rule>

<rule name="sfz">
<if technique="sfz" />
<velocity-change bump="15" />
</rule>

<rule name="sf">
<if technique="sf" />
<velocity-change bump="10" />
</rule>
lazerlike42

Postby thorrild » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Lazerlike42, I am intrigued by your post, although I don't currently use Notion with other sound libraries and have never had the urge to edit the rule set myself — yet ;) . Perhaps this is a good time for Kyle or someone else from Notion to jump in, because I am wondering:
- Can the rules listed in your post be unceremoniously added to the Notion rule set?
- If so, why aren't they hooked up from the beginning?
- If they can be made to play back, then why can't you hook a hairpin (cresc./dim.) to them?

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:26 pm

thorrild wrote:Lazerlike42, I am intrigued by your post, although I don't currently use Notion with other sound libraries and have never had the urge to edit the rule set myself — yet ;) . Perhaps this is a good time for Kyle or someone else from Notion to jump in, because I am wondering:

- Can the rules listed in your post be unceremoniously added to the Notion rule set?
- If so, why aren't they hooked up from the beginning?
- If they can be made to play back, then why can't you hook a hairpin (cresc./dim.) to them?

Best wishes,
Thorrild

The NOTION sample rules are not available to users and shouldn't be edited.
These functions were never really intended for playback in N3...they are intended for scoring purposes.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Francois2010 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:04 am

Francois2010 wrote:Thank you,
There are many compromises in your reply. I will report this problem to the support. Personally, I do not want to look for ticks to make it work. I want what is written to be heard too. That's why I paid for N3.

Thank you again!

I like this discussion but I wonder if the case of dynamic written and hears not be settled with N3.
Francois2010

Return to NOTION