Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

GPO Custom Rules

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

GPO Custom Rules

Postby pcartwright » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Version 1

The attachment Aria Rules and Presets.zip is no longer available

Hi all. I'd like to attach the following zip file containing my rules files and the instrument preset files. I used the standard patches instead of the GPO notation patches (a personal preference). This is a bit of a work in progress (they are a little messy); I'm still not quite happy with the way the strings sound, and will probably be tweaking the rules and samples used from time to time. I'll post updates as I finish them.

I don't have many changes for percussion instruments; since GPO is meant to be "playable," many of the techniques and controls don't make sense or can't be written as rules in Notion.

The main fix in my rules, IMHO, is better implementation of legato.

A couple of suggestions:
- for brass, you may want to add an overlay patch to another Aria channel and set the input to 1. This will read the MIDI from the incoming staff and provide an overlay recommended by Garritan. I am trying to figure out a way to integrate multiple overlay samples into the rules files that get triggered by specific dynamic levels (this idea was brought up in another thread); I think I may have a solution, but it will need some fine tuning. I'll post an update as soon as I have it ready.
- I highly recommend using jBridge. With the extra samples used for strings, you'll be pushing the memory limits of a 32 bit application when trying to load a full orchestra. jBridge will open up extra memory for those running 64 bit systems with more RAM
- Back up your original rules and preset files before using my rules. I can't guarantee that they'll work as you expect or that you'll like them more than the default rules and presets supplied with Notion. Making a back up will help you restore earlier rules and presets should you not use the ones provided in the attached zip file.

=================================
Version 2

I've readjusted a few of the string rules and patches used. Also, I've adjusted the brass files to automatically load with brass overlay patches. I used the "AG" overlay patches, which are a little more versatile IMO than the other overlays, but you may need to manually program CC16 data (controls the overlay "aggression") as there isn't really a good way to adjust CC16 automatically via the rules file.

Fabio, you mentioned on another thread that you were working on creating portamento rules utilizing channel switch rules. If you are able, I think several of us would love to see your work on these rules and how they affect playback.

Please make sure you back up your current rules and default files configuration before making adding my version or making your own adjustments.

Version 3

Adds a rule for harp harmonics.

Version 4

Aria Rules and Presets V4.zip
4th version. 11/1/2011
(342.75 KiB) Downloaded 898 times

Corrects keyswitches for solo string instruments.

Also, I included some wonderful rules written by dgriffee for better phrasing. They work wonderfully. If you want to tweak some of the settings, the rules that control phrasing for notes under a slur can be found near the end of the rules file.

Version 5

Aria Rules and Presets V5.zip
5th version. 12/9/2011
(336.25 KiB) Downloaded 907 times

Corrects end of legato phrases and CC 64 commands.

Thanks to insight gained from dgriffee's rules, I have improved the slur rules for Aria. Previously, the slur rule would carry over if one note ended a slurred phrase and the next note began a new slurred phrase (that is, CC 64 would not reset to 0). The new rules add a break in CC 64 when one phrase ends and the next phrase begins.

Version 6

Aria Rules and Presets V6.zip
(342.1 KiB) Downloaded 977 times

Corrects keyswitches to solo strings. Thanks to Thorrild for pointing out the problem.
Last edited by pcartwright on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
pcartwright

Re: GPO Custom Rules

Postby lazerlike42 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm very curious to know how you think you can trigger overlays at various dynamic levels. It would be very useful for some things I am trying to do.
lazerlike42

Postby pcartwright » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm

I think it may be possible by using an 'if' statement with reference to CC data and not necessarily a reference to the dynamic marking.
pcartwright

Postby fandango » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:29 pm

These seem to have fixed the Slurs problems with GPO strings beautifully!

I wish these would just work "out of the box" for GPO when you install Notion. Thanks for these updated rules! :)
fandango

Postby rlo9 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Tried these rules out, and for some reason I can't get them to work. They have no effect whatsoever. To test this, I changed the articulation, "dash", to a duration of .1. It made absolutely no difference. I am putting these new rules in the same place that the old rules and presets were. Program Files/Notion 3/Support/PluginData/GPO/Rules. Is that correct ? I also, quit Notion and restarted it because I thought that might make difference. Do I have to do anything to make these rules become effective. The original files are in a folder I named Old_GPO.

Anyone have any ideas ?
rlo9

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:33 am

Hi rlo9.
Check that every command to being enclosed into a

<rule>

</rule>

structure.
Erasing or forgetting one is very easy and makes the rules not to work at all.
If you upload your rules file I'm sure someone will help you to check it.
Regards
Last edited by fabiolcati on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby rlo9 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 am

Fabio, I appreciate the reply and your thoughts. But that is not the problem. I finally did get the rules file to work by rebooting the computer and trying it again. Now, if I want to change rules, I do have to restart Notion to get the changes to take effect. It doesn't seem to be that way in Lubo's tutorial about rules. That makes it harder to work with, but still possible. One thing I was wanting to do, was change the length of notes generated by the dash articulation. It is currently set at .8 times the length of a full note. I have tried everything from 0.1 to 0.9 just to see if I can get a change and it doesn't work. I know the syntax is correct, because I haven't changed anything except the number, leaving the rest of the line, including the slashes and > etc. , just as it was. I must not be understanding this command correctly. Here is what I have entered, just as a test, so I would know I am making a difference.

<rule>
<if articulation="dash" />
<duration-change amount="0.2" />
</rule>

Shouldn't that make the semi-staccato articulation, just as short as a staccato ?

Thanks
Ron
rlo9

Postby pcartwright » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 am

Hi rlo9,

Just to clarify, these rules are my custom rules and not Notion's. The tricky part about the rules file is that the order of the rules matters. If I remember correctly, the last applicable rule will be applied, so try moving your staccato rule to the end of the file and see if it works.

I have been working on an updated GPO rules file which addresses the issue you describe as well as updating some of the string technique (still brainstorming ways to better implement percussion), but I'm not sure when it will be ready.

Experiment with your rules files, and feel free to share insights that you pick up with the forum community.
pcartwright

Postby rlo9 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:46 pm

pcartwright wrote:Hi rlo9,

Just to clarify, these rules are my custom rules and not Notion's. The tricky part about the rules file is that the order of the rules matters. If I remember correctly, the last applicable rule will be applied, so try moving your staccato rule to the end of the file and see if it works.

Well, that comment certainly helped. First off, it made me realize that you had added generic rules a second time and that second articulation rule was overiding my change made in the first part of the file. But that didn't work either, the first time I tried it. So I got to thinking that just because I changed the name of the rules files and folders, maybe Notion didn't ignore them, maybe it went through all of them and used the rule in the last file. Turns out, I was right (at least it appears so). I had renamed the original GPO folder from Notion to GPO_Orig and left it in the Plugin Data folder, just so I could revert to the original if things went haywire. So, I completely removed that folder and copied it to a folder on my root directory of C: and everything started working the way it should. Changes started making a difference. Hopefully, if someone else is having trouble with changes in rules files, this can help them. Evidently, Notion just reads the whole PluginData folder and applies the rules in the order it reads them, if the Plugin ID is correct, then it applies them. Since my renaming of the GPO folder moved down the list in the folder, its rules overrode my changes in your file.

By the way, I like your changes, they access more of the power of GPO. I find that more of the playing techniques work than with Notion's file.

One question I now have, is why all of the Flag setting to "strs" and "keys" . What does that do for the rules ?

A very big thank you to you pcartwright for the help in getting the rules to work. Now maybe I can start working on rules to actually do what I want.

Ron
rlo9

Postby pcartwright » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 pm

rlo9 wrote:One question I now have, is why all of the Flag setting to "strs" and "keys" . What does that do for the rules ?

The flag rule, as implemented here, is designed to group instruments together making rule writing more efficient. The section strings in GPO have trill patches, but other instruments don't. Therefore, I can make a rule that basically says, in effect, if the flag is "strs" then play a trill patch; otherwise, play a midi generated trill. Incidentally, Notion's devs added the string flags to their default rules; I simply incorporated the flag rules into my custom rules.

I don't really remember off the top of my head why I flagged the keyboard instruments... I think I might have flagged the keys so that CC64 (foot pedal) would emulate a sustain pedal and not GPO's legato effect, but I'll have to go back and double check.

rlo9 wrote:A very big thank you to you pcartwright for the help in getting the rules to work. Now maybe I can start working on rules to actually do what I want.

I'm glad to help. Please feel free to add your rules and any ideas that could make the GPO rules more effective.
pcartwright

Next

Return to Share Custom Rules