Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

EWQL and Notion 4 FAQ

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: EWQL and NOTION3 FAQ

Postby labou » Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm

dgriffee wrote:
sghoughton wrote:Hi - just a quick question. If i wanted to run different EWQL sections on different PCs using Notion, whats the best approach?

steve

This is probably not the answer you were looking for, but I started from same question a few months ago and came to the following conclusion...

put your EWQL on SSD in master box and then consider adding VSL-SE & VE-Pro to your network (big grin)

It is possible to do EWQL networkwise, but in my opinion the more I researched it looked like it would be a major hassle that way and not really necessary at this point in the technology curve. Having already invested in a bunch of EWQL stuff I decided best most cost effective way forward was to build one monster machine that runs all my EWQL libs from SSD. I now run the whole EWQL SymphOrch (plat) and a bunch of other EWQL libs (pianos choir sd2 etc) all from four OCZ Agility SSD units in a single pc, works great no glitches.

I was persueded by what I saw in many threads (some on the EWQL board and others elsewhere) that getting VSL-SE & VE-Pro for less than $1ooo would more easily take best advantage of my networked machines with minimum technohassle. So I bought the VSL stuff to use on my other networked slave boxes, in conjunction with EWQL/SSD on my master box. The two different libs actually work together in a complimentary fashion that sounds much better than I had hoped for.

Hi,

I`m really interested in your SSD setups... so if I understand it correctly you can reduce the memory footprint of Play by making it stream directly on the SSD drive? Do you have an idea of the memory reduction factor you were able to achieve?

Thanks.
labou

Postby jonahcat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:13 pm

So i have been going along quite happily until today when Notion seems to have decided not to load EWQL samples. Not sure what is going on. Windows 7/64 bit. Applied new version of Notion today as well as 64 bit new version of Play, but since its the 64 bit version i am not sure why that would make a difference?

Play 2.0.18
Notion 3.1.275.0

:(
jonahcat

Postby mkiz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:02 pm

I have the same problem here, suddenly. I upgraded to PLAY 2.18...I am running Vista 64 Ultimate.

Notion allows me to add staves using the EWQL selections, but does not load the instrument. When I try to load directly, by opening a template file (for example, open the violins I from the Notion/Resources folder, it still does not open the samples...
mkiz

Postby duka » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:40 am

Hello,
sorry if this issue had already been, but I could not find it.

I use EWQL gold xp pro old version, not play. I watched tutorials about custom playback and i now what to do (although I did not found ID plugin yet..) what i dont know is what i sould do to have instruments of my VST library in the instruments menu @ N3.

So, as you can see i only have instruments N3 and Miroslav Ph. instruments. Under VST instruments i have my EWQL gold xp pro, but only opens kompakt player.

So, i want to have EWQL instruments (that i am going to custom pb, create rules etc.) and when i open blank score add ewql instruments i want (wich previously have been set up).

explain here:_______________________________________________lol
duka

Postby duka » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:18 am

is there no answer or i asked stuid question :D
duka

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Duka,

This is Brian from NOTION Music Technical Support. The only version of EWQL that NOTION supports is the Play version. If you do not have the Play version, then EWQL will not show up in your instruments list. The only possible workaround that I can think of is to set it up as a VST instrument. The version that you have might use Kontakt. If it does, once you add the VST instrument and exit Score Setup, you should be able to press "ctrl i" or "command i" on a Mac and open the VST interface itself. You should then be able to manually load your instrument or library into the VST interface. Just a heads up though, NOTION only supports the latest version of Kontakt. Although there have been reports of the older versions working, I have seen some problems with them. I think your best option is to wait until EWQL runs a special promotional offer, which they often do, and upgrade to the latest Play version. Just sign up to be on their mailing list and they will send you an email. Sometimes you can get half off or buy one get one free. Let me know if this helps.

Best,

Brian
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby duka » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi Brian, thanks for reply
but you didn't undesrstand me well or i wasn't so clear, nevermind. Here's the thing. My EWQL works perfectly with N3, from that side there is no problem. What i want is to make custom playback for EWQL just as described in tutorial videos. The point is if i am able somehow to make that list of instruments, to have them in menu just like Miroslav Ph. for e.g. So when i open blank score, i add instruments i've been previously set up trough custom playback. If that is possible only with "play" version then just tell me, will there gona be a problem if i upgrade to play, because my VST isnt platinum?
duka

Postby lazerlike42 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 am

I'm having a problem where I can't get any sounds out of Play when it's loaded into Notion. If I run the standalone it works fine, and it works fine as a plugin in Sonar, but when I load it into Notion, the samples load successfully but then I can't get any sound. No sound will come out when I enter notes on the staff, when I play back the score, when I go to the Play VSTi interface and click the keys... Every once in a rare while a note will sound, but even if I then click the same note again, I get no sound. It's pretty random.

I am loading the 32 bit VST, and I have the proper audio configuration set up - no problems with Garritan or Notion's own instruments playing. What's going on?
lazerlike42

Postby swartzta » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Lazerlike42 - are you loading it through the EWQL using the Staff Settings (Tools > Staff Settings)? If you use that method, then it should work since it will essentially create a Play instance for each stave with the correct settings. Even if you use the VSTi option instead of the EWQL presets, then it will create a separate instance of Play for each stave. It got a little more complicated when I wanted to use one instance of Play and assign separate channels to it, so I decided to go the lazy way and use individual instances.

Everyone else - is anyone aware of any way to access the KS options that seem to be special techniques? It seems to me that there are a lot more KS sounds that are loaded into memory that seem virtually inaccessible by Notion. For instance, take this in the EWQL prules:

<rule name="FxHell">
<if flag="ehns" />
<if technique="effx" />
<key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="95" velocity="127" />

How do I get Notion to notice and use this 6FH effects KS? It does not come up under EWQL Techniques toolbar, and it doesn't allow me to use 'effx' when I use a single-quote shortcut. Ideally, I'd like to see a mapping of sorts of the patches that Notion actually links to without having to dive into XML. I'm thinking I'm missing something here, so I'm hoping someone can assist with some enlightenment! Thanks!
swartzta

Postby lazerlike42 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:44 am

swartzta wrote:Lazerlike42 - are you loading it through the EWQL using the Staff Settings (Tools > Staff Settings)? If you use that method, then it should work since it will essentially create a Play instance for each stave with the correct settings. Even if you use the VSTi option instead of the EWQL presets, then it will create a separate instance of Play for each stave. It got a little more complicated when I wanted to use one instance of Play and assign separate channels to it, so I decided to go the lazy way and use individual instances.

Everyone else - is anyone aware of any way to access the KS options that seem to be special techniques? It seems to me that there are a lot more KS sounds that are loaded into memory that seem virtually inaccessible by Notion. For instance, take this in the EWQL prules:

<rule name="FxHell">
<if flag="ehns" />
<if technique="effx" />
<key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="95" velocity="127" />

How do I get Notion to notice and use this 6FH effects KS? It does not come up under EWQL Techniques toolbar, and it doesn't allow me to use 'effx' when I use a single-quote shortcut. Ideally, I'd like to see a mapping of sorts of the patches that Notion actually links to without having to dive into XML. I'm thinking I'm missing something here, so I'm hoping someone can assist with some enlightenment! Thanks!

As I recall, I was loading it using the VSTi setting so that I could assign exactly what I wanted and keep memory lower.

I am also wondering about this question. For example, the rules for EWQL Violins 1 have an entry for if technique is lyrical, which goes to the lyrical patch/keyswitch. However, I don't see any option for Lyrical in any of the menus. How do I activate it?
lazerlike42

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION