Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Some bugs i have

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Some bugs i have

Postby duka » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi ppl.
N3 very often crashes by itself :cry: and almost always in this situations:
when i setup score more than 14 instruments od Miroslav Ph. Simple when i add 15. instrument it crashes,
when i add altiverb for first time its ok, but when i want to access altiverb trough mixer again it crashes,
and i opened help, read something, when i closed help N3 crashed.
I have good computer with 4gb of RAM, E3300 but no sound card yet.

Also i have problems with dynamics.
There is no crescendo playback in this situation. The first 3 measures are playedback in pp constantly, while in 4. measure dynamic changes to f suddenly.

Trills are not playbacked with Miroslav Ph.

So, please help.
duka

Re: Some bugs i have

Postby kelldammit » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:06 am

check your memory usage via windows task manager.
Notion is a 32 bit app, and as such, it will only allow you to use about 2gb of RAM in a project.
If you're pretty close to that limit, it will crash. It will not warn you or prevent you from exceeding the RAM limit, either.
This sounds like it's the culprit in terms of the crashing. you can possibly use midi yoke or somesuch to allow notion to send to standalone versions of the instruments if need be.
I don't have miroslav, so i can't help with the trill issue...sorry :(

kell
kelldammit

Postby duka » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:32 pm

kelldammit wrote:Notion is a 32 bit app, and as such, it will only allow you to use about 2gb of RAM in a project.

thanks for answering. that would be that :)

but what is the point of notion than? ewql templates could not be opened without huge amount of ram even if direct from disc is engaged. no other notation software has that ram limitation, it's stupid, why notion have it?
duka

Postby pcartwright » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:27 pm

duka wrote:but what is the point of notion than? ewql templates could not be opened without huge amount of ram even if direct from disc is engaged. no other notation software has that ram limitation, it's stupid, why notion have it?

The ram limiation, as I understand it, is an issue with 32 bit computing. If you are running a 64bit system, then you can use JBridge to open up additional ram space for use with Notion.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:34 pm

EVERY other notation program has that limitation...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby duka » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:38 pm

wcreed51 wrote:EVERY other notation program has that limitation...

maybe, but finale for eg. never crashes
duka

Postby pcartwright » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:43 pm

duka wrote:maybe, but finale for eg. never crashes

cough bull crap cough
pcartwright

Postby kelldammit » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:16 am

yes, but most will warn you, or will just refuse to load stuff that would put them "over the edge". otherwise, what is essentially user error doesn't get construed as a "bug". it's just a missing feature, at worst.

sibelius is a 32 bit app, but on x64 systems, there's a switch that can be engaged to allow it to access 4gb of RAM. that's the closest thing to 64 bit OS support that i'm aware of.
i find it very strange that notation editors are so late to the 64 bit party, especially since humongous libraries are typically involved. one possible workaround would simply be to spawn instruments as separate processes (and thus, each has its own memory space).
in the end, though, pretty much every current machine is shipping with a 64bit OS. eventually, this will have to be addressed for that reason alone.

to be more diplomatic, could it be said that finale doesn't crash for this particular reason?

k
kelldammit

Postby duka » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:35 am

kelldammit wrote:

to be more diplomatic, could it be said that finale doesn't crash for this particular reason?
k

well it doesn't. in finale i can load full ewql orchestra and use all instruments i've loaded, which is over 2gb. sometimes i get low memory warn, sometimes don't.

but i generaly dont like finale, notion is far more better for me, it would be great that next upgrade of notion allows that.
duka

Postby tubatimberinger » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

i find it very strange that notation editors are so late to the 64 bit party

Notation software is designed for just that. The use of sounds is an addition in functionality to that. Laying out scores requires the same amount of resources as intermediate typesetting/desktop publishing so really, for Fin/Sib to do what they are designed PRIMARILY to do, does not and probably will never require 64bit computing.
tubatimberinger

Next

Return to NOTION