Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion vs Protege

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion vs Protege

Postby Robins1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi. First off this is not a gripe but a query. I have both Protege and Notion 3 and was really wondering why, if Protege is the beginners program, it has things in it that Notion 3 doesn't. For instance you can select up to 4 augmentation dots, you can hide the numbers on tuplet runs, there is Da Capo and Dal Segno which arent available in Notion 3. Also there is a list of tempo markings with the ability to alter them. Choosing key signatures is a lot easier (especially for those of us who cant remember which signature is five flats!). These are just a few. Just wondering why these haven't been carried into the upgrade of Notion :?:
Robins1

Re: Notion vs Protege

Postby tubatimberinger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:25 pm

For instance you can select up to 4 augmentation dots

I wouldn't consider this lacking in N3 but rather practical since the sure fire way to get dirty looks from musicians is to make them play more than a double dotted note. its sort of like using theoretical keys (Fb for instance). True in theory they exist, but to use them is probably not practical.

you can hide the numbers on tuplet runs

Same situation; This is one thing in Notions notation that DOES adhere to MOLA (Major Orchestral Librarian's Association). In a real life situation where people are trying to perform your music, hiding the number would most certainly just lead to confusion and with rehearsal time at a premium, this could prove disasterous.

is Da Capo and Dal Segno which arent available in Notion 3

I believe they are in N3, just look under the palette that has the repeat/barline.

Choosing key signatures is a lot easier (especially for those of us who cant remember which signature is five flats!)

Remember, Protege is intended to teach music composition to beginners (which I cannot see being a very good thing) who need a little help (remembering the circle of 5ths for instance ;). Notion is intended for more hi-end/professional applications. So there is more assumed knowledge of music in general.

That being said...

I cannot see a reason to have both, I would just use N3.

just my 2cents
tubatimberinger

Postby Robins1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:49 am

Hi . As I said it isn't a gripe just a query. I can see now the sense in not using say more than 2 dots on a note and keeping the numbers on tuplet runs when explained like the previous post. I play acoustic guitar in my church and usually follow our pianist, so playing in an orchestral setting and following music with so many parts playing is probably beyond me! I think N3 is a brilliant program (I have Sibelius, Finale, Overture and used to have Encore. I don't use them as much now as I think they are quite cumbersome compared to N3) and I think in time N3 will surpass all these.
PS. D S al fine D C al coda etc are available but not Dal Segno and Da capo

Colin
Robins1

Postby tubatimberinger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:19 am

PS. D S al fine D C al coda etc are available but not Dal Segno and Da capo

OMG, you are right! I can't believe they don't have those symbols. I see there is a way to achieve the same results with what is available, but I agree with you they should still be there. You should check to see if it is a feature request and if not, make it so.

cheers,
tim
tubatimberinger

Postby annasami » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 am

There are two versions of Notion-- the full version which is called "Notion 1.5" and "Notion Protege 1.0". Obviously, Protege
is the smaller version with fewer voices than Notion 1.5 yet all the voices for both versions are from the London Symphony
Orchestra at full quality. There is no compromise with quality in Protege.

فيديو
annasami

Postby tubatimberinger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 pm

There are two versions of Notion-- the full version which is called "Notion 1.5" and "Notion Protege 1.0". Obviously, Protege
is the smaller version with fewer voices than Notion 1.5 yet all the voices for both versions are from the London Symphony
Orchestra at full quality. There is no compromise with quality in Protege.

I don't think that quality of the samples was in question, but more the limitations of scoring functionality. N3 has far more functionality (although it still doesn't qualify as 'notation software' in my mind). If you have full blown N3, then protege to me seems redundant.

Also, I think you might find this thread enlightening.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=418

ps,
Just to make sure; you are aware that notion is now up to version 3.x right? I don't ask to be condescending but rather out of concern because if you are comparing protege to notion 1.5 then there is probably very little difference. But N3 is a huge improvement AND most likely you can upgrade for very little money (I only paid for shipping).

tim
tubatimberinger

Postby pianosteve » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 pm

tubatimberinger wrote:I see there is a way to achieve [Dal Segno and Da Capo} with what is available, but I agree with you they should still be there. You should check to see if it is a feature request and if not, make it so.

cheers,
tim

Ironically, I just responded a few minutes ago after testing this, and I could NOT get it to work with what is available. How do you achieve it with what is available in N3?
pianosteve

Postby Robins1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:48 am

tubatimberinger wrote:

OMG, you are right! I can't believe they don't have those symbols. I see there is a way to achieve the same results with what is available, but I agree with you they should still be there. You should check to see if it is a feature request and if not, make it so.

cheers,
tim

Hi Tim
I have made this a feature request. Just to clear up why I have N3 and Protege. I have N3 on our main computer which is quite a powerful beast. I cant always get on this one though with three grown up teenagers/early twenties kids who want to go on Facetube (thats what I call it because they use both :D ) or MSN or whatever. So I am pushed to our other computer which is steam driven so wont run N3 but is OK with Protege.
Colin
Robins1

Postby ddd4727 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 am

hello do you
Protégé is one of the highest rated programs for getting an introduction to musical notation. It is limited to only 8 instruments which is more than enough for filmmakers creating background music or narrative music for their film scores.

For filmmakers, the only real limitation with Protégé is the need to learn musical notation. That is not a minor obsticle.
thanks for reading this

فيديو
ddd4727

Return to NOTION