Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 3 is Extremely Buggy!!

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion 3 is Extremely Buggy!!

Postby tenorman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:16 am

I'm having quite a few problems:

Firstly, breath marks cause the playback to hang and not playback in time.

Secondly, the Solo feature in the mixer does not work properly. It does not solo the instrument it's supposed to solo.

Next, I have Miroslav Orchestra and Garritan Personal Orchestra installed on this machine yet I can't use them.

Next, the Harp does not glissando across staves from bass clef to treble clef.

Next, the hyphen feature when typing in lyrics does not display correctly.

Next, I can't print out each part in mutli-voice parts as separate parts.

Next, when I set the Multi-measure rests in the Part Options window to 2 and try to display a Multi-voice Dynamic Part Notion 3 hangs and I have to Force Quit.

I had planned on using this software for MIDI-mockups. But I can't use it because it's too buggy. This software is simply not ready for prime time and I would not recommend it. Hopefully these bugs can be fixed because it could be a great piece of software!

Can anyone help me out??

Notion Ver. 3.1.277
MacBook 10.6.4
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 Gb Ram
tenorman

Re: Notion 3 is Extremely Buggy!!

Postby Novatlan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:59 am

[quote="tenorman"]I'm having quite a few problems:

Firstly, breath marks cause the playback to hang and not playback in time.
- Well, that's what breathe marks do. I would use use slurs for separating phrases, in my experience that's what most players expect, anyway.

Secondly, the Solo feature in the mixer does not work properly. It does not solo the instrument it's supposed to solo.
- Never had this, could you elaborate?

Next, I have Miroslav Orchestra and Garritan Personal Orchestra installed on this machine yet I can't use them.
- "I can't use them" is a great problem description that exactly tells us what goes wrong, Thanks! Please describe your issues, then we can see...

Next, the Harp does not glissando across staves from bass clef to treble clef.
- Agreed, but that is not a bug, but a missing feature

Next, the hyphen feature when typing in lyrics does not display correctly.
- Again, please describe a bit more clearly.

Next, I can't print out each part in mutli-voice parts as separate parts.
- Agreed, but even Sibelius can't.

Next, when I set the Multi-measure rests in the Part Options window to 2 and try to display a Multi-voice Dynamic Part Notion 3 hangs and I have to Force Quit.
- This IS a bug, agreed.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 am

Novatlan wrote:
tenorman wrote:Firstly, breath marks cause the playback to hang and not playback in time.
- Well, that's what breathe marks do. I would use use slurs for separating phrases, in my experience that's what most players expect, anyway

Hi Novatlan.
I guess Tenorman means that a breath mark hangs on hold ALL the score (acting like a fermata), instead of affecting the instrument is written for.
I agree with him to this being a bug. I reported to Notion months ago too.
Must add that it make lines sound very natural, but, again, if it applies solely to the player you want to breath, not the entire orchestra.
Greetings
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 pm

tenorman wrote:I'm having quite a few problems:Secondly, the Solo feature in the mixer does not work properly. It does not solo the instrument it's supposed to solo.

I recently noticed this as well. For me, I can solo an instrument correctly; however, when I un-solo the instrument, other instruments are muted or soloed. This seems buggy to me, too.

tenorman wrote:Next, I have Miroslav Orchestra and Garritan Personal Orchestra installed on this machine yet I can't use them.

I have both of these libraries, but I don’t really see any bugs here. Can you elaborate?

tenorman wrote:Next, the Harp does not glissando across staves from bass clef to treble clef.

This has been discussed before. Cross staff notation is needed for all multi-clef instruments, not just harp. +1

tenorman wrote:Next, I can't print out each part in mutli-voice parts as separate parts.

This would be a nice feature; it would also be nice to be able to merge multiple staves together into one staff with multiple voices for a final conductor score. For example, I have a score where I’m using a GPO oboe, a Notion oboe, and a Miro oboe on three different staves; it would be nice if I could combine those staves into one or two staves for the final conductor score.

tenorman wrote:Next, when I set the Multi-measure rests in the Part Options window to 2 and try to display a Multi-voice Dynamic Part Notion 3 hangs and I have to Force Quit.

I haven’t experienced this issue yet; I’ll try to print a few parts tonight and see if I can duplicate this bug.
pcartwright

Postby edbradburn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:38 am

I know exactly what the original poster is talking about with the hyphen feature not working properly. I am having this exact same problem.

In fact, I have identified two problems with lyric entry:

1. No spacing is added to a word if this runs into the next word. This can happen if you have a word that is exactly as long as the space between the notes above. See my post (below).
  2. Second, the hyphen feature does not work all of the time.

My original post:

http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1121

Cheers,

Ed
edbradburn

Postby JKNorman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:10 pm

I've noted this elsewhere, but it was suggested I mention this here, too.

Re: lyrics. When you have a single word/syllable to be sung across more than one note, it seems impossible to properly extend an underscore line under subsequent note(s). Even if I do what the manual says (or experiment a little), the extension is either truncated (if I type only one underscore after the word, the underscore doesn't extend to the next note) or goes well past the notes it should go under (this happens if I enter the as many underscore lines as there are notes to be sung). It will even extend under rests that follow notes to be sung!

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone find a work-around?

My original post: http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1121#p4451
JKNorman

Postby pcartwright » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:30 pm

tenorman wrote:Next, when I set the Multi-measure rests in the Part Options window to 2 and try to display a Multi-voice Dynamic Part Notion 3 hangs and I have to Force Quit.

So... I've noticed that for some reason I can't get multi-measured rests to work at all. Do I need to adjust the multi-rest option and restart, or is it a two step process...???
pcartwright

Return to NOTION