Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 3 demo : playing problem

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion 3 demo : playing problem

Postby puertodeamor » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:42 am

Please excuse me my bad english...
I'm trying Notion demo : with 15 instruments of VSL and 4 Altiverb instances on bus, during the playing the audio sometimes go in loop ( repite the same bar endless !!!!)
I have no problem with esport audio, but the audio level is very low : -10 db !

I want buy the SLE version for VSL, but I'm scare I will have the same bug.

Can you suggest me a way to resolve this problem ?

Antonio - Italy
( yo can write me a private e-mail here : puertodeamor@yahoo.it . I think you must have a contact customer service by mail , not just the forum. )
puertodeamor

Re: Notion 3 demo : playing problem

Postby Erufailon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:19 am

Erufailon

Postby antoncct » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:32 am

I just buyed the SLE version : click and drop out and audio looping and every kind of noise during playback.

Antoncct
antoncct

Postby pcartwright » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:42 pm

antoncct wrote:I just buyed the SLE version : click and drop out and audio looping and every kind of noise during playback.t

It sounds like your audio buffer is too small; check your audio settings and tweak the buffer size.
pcartwright

Postby antoncct » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 pm

pcartwright wrote:
antoncct wrote:I just buyed the SLE version : click and drop out and audio looping and every kind of noise during playback.t

It sounds like your audio buffer is too small; check your audio settings and tweak the buffer size.

No way, it's not a problem of the audio buffer !
It' s a problem of Notion with VI ( Vienna Instruments), the playback is OK if I charge the sounds in VE ( Vienna Ensemble) preset.

So I have to use the VE preset,
I don't know how to assign my old scores to the VE preset. I writed to support. I need some customized VE presets, for send them to the 4 buses, for orchestral stage positioning.

It's very complicated for me use the VE. It would be better to use directly the sounds VI for every staff, but playback is noisy and have looping sounds.

A.C.
antoncct

Postby pcartwright » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:08 pm

antoncct wrote:No way, it's not a problem of the audio buffer !
It' s a problem of Notion with VI ( Vienna Instruments), the playback is OK if I charge the sounds in VE ( Vienna Ensemble) preset.

Don't get upset; did you even try to adjust the buffer settings? I've found that larger sized samples need extra buffer space in order to play back without distortion. Also, if you try to load a lot of samples at once (full orchestra versus small ensemble), you'll need a bigger buffer.

Try it, if it doesn't work then let us know, but don't rant that the solution to this problem couldn't possibly be the buffer until you actually try an adjustment.
pcartwright

Postby antoncct » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 am

pcartwright wrote:
antoncct wrote:No way, it's not a problem of the audio buffer !

Don't get upset; did you even try to adjust the buffer settings? I've found that larger sized samples need extra buffer space in order to play back without distortion. Also, if you try to load a lot of samples at once (full orchestra versus small ensemble), you'll need a bigger buffer.

Try it, if it doesn't work then let us know, but don't rant that the solution to this problem couldn't possibly be the buffer until you actually try an adjustment.

Dear pcartwright, the customers do not like the bugs, is'nt it ? Of course I tried to adjust the buffer settings, up 2048 samples, my audio card do not go more. I tried the external audio-card and the internal : same problem of noise and looping. It's a matter of logic : if files that don't use VI sounds but use the VE preset have no problem at all : no distortion, no looping, the problem must be in the way how Notion manage the sample of VI ( Vienna instruments ) . Repite: with Ve preset you can use a big orchestra : the playback is perfect !! But with VI instruments : any kind of noise and looping audio.

Now, Id' like to use the VE preset, but this is another nightmare because cannot make personal preset and the manual don't say how to assign the staff of a existing score to the new VE preset.

It would be well to make customized preset, for VE. Here you are an example about a Strings section : How to send the VE preset to 2 different bus , for different space positioning , ( you know, the first Violins and the cellos are near the conductor, the second violins, violas and doublebass are more far...) , so you need 2 separate instance of VE. In this case, you have to charge 2 instances of VE with alle the string instruments , and use for every instances only the instruments that go the the same bus ( near or far ) . In this case , of course, it would be better to have a personal VE preset that only came with the sounds you need for this instance. How to do this ? Manual says nothing aboout.

With an existing piece, for example, an imported piece in XML from Finale o Sibelius, you have every time to charge the 2 VE preset of Strings, and select which intruments go to the first-one preset ( and bus ) and wichs go to the second-one. If you need to make this for all the orchestral section, it will be a nightmare, it's a very complicated things to do and a big waste of time !! : if the playback in the VI instruments could work OK, I will not have this problems.

If you someone knows how to assign quickly the staff to different VE preset and customize the VE preset.... please HELP ME !

I writed to support to ask how to manage the problem , but no answer until today....

Antonio C.
antoncct

Postby puertodeamor » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:16 am

antoncct wrote:

..... the problem must be in the way how Notion manage the sample of VI ( Vienna instruments ) . Repite: with Ve preset you can use a big orchestra : the playback is perfect !! But with VI instruments : any kind of noise and looping audio.

Now, Id' like to use the VE preset, but this is another nightmare because cannot make personal preset and the manual don't say how to assign the staff of a existing score to the new VE preset.

It would be well to make customized preset, for VE. Here you are an example about a Strings section : How to send the VE preset to 2 different bus , for different space positioning , ( you know, the first Violins and the cellos are near the conductor, the second violins, violas and doublebass are more far...) , so you need 2 separate instance of VE. In this case, you have to charge 2 instances of VE with alle the string instruments , and use for every instances only the instruments that go the the same bus ( near or far ) . In this case , of course, it would be better to have a personal VE preset that only came with the sounds you need for this instance. How to do this ? Manual says nothing aboout.

Antonio C.

Hi Antoncct,
I start this post because I have the same problems ! I confirm that using the VE preset the playback is OK, but is very complicated to do this if you want use multiple bus on Notion.
I contacted the Notion support but they do not admite the software has this problem with VI sounds, so no solution.
My demo time of Notion 3 has expired, I will stay on this forum to know what happen in future , I will not buy Notion until they have a solution .

Antonio - Italy
puertodeamor

Postby pcartwright » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:48 am

antoncct wrote:Dear pcartwright, the customers do not like the bugs, is'nt it ? Of course I tried to adjust the buffer settings, up 2048 samples, my audio card do not go more. I tried the external audio-card and the internal : same problem of noise and looping. It's a matter of logic : if files that don't use VI sounds but use the VE preset have no problem at all : no distortion, no looping, the problem must be in the way how Notion manage the sample of VI ( Vienna instruments ) . Repite: with Ve preset you can use a big orchestra : the playback is perfect !! But with VI instruments : any kind of noise and looping audio.

See, that was helpful. You actually documented troubleshooting methods that you've tried instead of just griping. I, like anyone else, don't like bugs, but the thing that I (and most people) really can’t stand is people who only gripe. Bring your advice or recommendations, but don't get on the forum only to complain.

I can't help you with this problem or confirm the issue as I don't have any Vienna libraries, but it looks like puertodeamor could replicate these issues. Hopefully Notion will have a fix for you soon.
pcartwright

Postby aggy100 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:32 am

I dont have any problem with my notion
| Fully Managed VPS Hosting and Dedicated Servers |
aggy100

Return to NOTION