Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to edit notes?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to edit notes?

Postby AlrightThenwtf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello there.

First of all, this looks like a great product and I want to like it. I have read the manual, and It doesn't clearly state how, exactly, you are supposed to change previously entered notes. I'm used to Finale, where I can just hit "right arrow", and quickly enter in notes. If I made a mistake, I could just arrow back and arrow it up and down. How on earth am I supposed to enter notes in quickly in NOTION3, and how can I quickly change mistakes?

Thank you.
AlrightThenwtf

Re: How to edit notes?

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:37 pm

We definitely have a different method than Finale (IMHO an easier one ;) ). The note entry is based around the use of your left hand to select duration and your right hand to place the note. Our shortcuts are mostly mneumonic (q=quarter note, e=eighth note....double tap those keys to get the rest duration of the note) and are very easy to use (far less of a learning curve from Finale or Sibelius).

Watch some of the videos here (http://www.notionmusic.com/support/tutorials.html). They should give you a better idea of how the note entry/editing works.

You could also download the demo for FREE here: http://www.notionmusic.com/support/noti ... ignup.html

this will allow you to get some first hand experience with the program.

Hope this helps!
-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlrightThenwtf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Hello Kyle.

Thanks for the reply. I have already downloaded the demo, and was trying it out. The reason why I posted here is that I was unable to figure out how to edit previously entered notes. The way the notes are put in is quite nice, I just can't figure out how to quickly edit notes.

EDIT: Also, the tutorials look great, but they don't help with the basics, like editing notes.
AlrightThenwtf

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:54 pm

You can just drag notes with the mouse, as with Finale.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby AlrightThenwtf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:00 pm

wcreed51 wrote:You can just drag notes with the mouse, as with Finale.

Well, I know that you can drag the notes once you change to select mode, then click on the note, release it, THEN drag. (correct me if I'm wrong). Isn't that sort of cumbersome?
Last edited by AlrightThenwtf on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlrightThenwtf

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:01 pm

wcreed51 wrote:You can just drag notes with the mouse, as with Finale.

Sorry.....didn't make that clearer........ :P

You can select the note with your mouse then use your arrow keys to move it up and down on the staff.

Hope this helps!
-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlrightThenwtf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Okay, so just to clarify...you need to click the notes in? No keyboard input (besides q,e,h etc.) is possible?
AlrightThenwtf

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 pm

AlrightThenwtf wrote:Okay, so just to clarify...you need to click the notes in? No keyboard input (besides q,e,h etc.) is possible?

No you can also select a note value (q, e, h, etc...) then use your mouse and enter key to enter the notes.

I also read a post a while back here where someone customized his keyboard to utilize the Sibelius shortcuts for note entry.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlrightThenwtf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Alright, this should be my last question. ;) Please be honest, if I buy NOTION3 right now, you're not going to release a new version will you? I've been burnt with Finale two times now, and I don't want that to happen again.

I really appreciate your help. Even though this program might be a little cumbersome in some areas, I really appreciate that it is written in Cocoa, and seems responsive. I also really appreciate the customer support, and might buy this for that very reason. :)
AlrightThenwtf

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:38 pm

we're actively updating/improving the program and will continue to do so, but there is no paid upgrade in the near future for NOTION3. Enjoy!!

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION