Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Change Time Signature

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Change Time Signature

Postby lordpreston » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi,
i just downloaded the demo and startet to try things out.
i wrote some bars in 4/4 und now want to change the whole thing to 3/4.
but it ended in a total chaos, the bars were not rewritten in 3/4. Barline positions still at 4/4 positions,
additional notes in bars change to red. is there no way to change a written passage into other time signatures?
hx
-lp
lordpreston

Re: Change Time Signature

Postby pcartwright » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:11 pm

You can change the meter, but you need to delete the current bar lines and add new ones. Simply click on the bar line in question (should change color) and hit delete. You can get insert new barlines through the palette or through a quick key (I believe "i"). Not being able to change meters with a few clicks can be frustrating at first, but the extra flexibility is (IMHO) worth it.
pcartwright

Postby lordpreston » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Thank you for your reply. But what do you mean with "flexibility"?
Until now, i find it frustrating to rearrange the barlines. It's not only affecting barlines.
Beams and Notes which exeed the new measure have to be corrected...it took quite a lot of work to rewrite 3 Bars of music
lordpreston

Postby pcartwright » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 am

Flexibility in the sense that a good number of pieces from the 15th/16th and now 20th/21st century have unusual time markings and barline systems. Notion handles some of these time signature quirks (IMHO) better than other programs. Also, I've had pretty lame experiences with changing time signatures in other programs (lots of errors); at least this way you can move the barlines as needed to the correct place (there are no “intelligent” algorithms or codes to screw up rhythms during a time change).

By the way, it shouldn't be that much work to change three measures... Thirty measures maybe, but it seems like you should have been able to replace barlines for three measures with six or seven mouse clicks. It’s like anything else, it takes a little time to get proficient with it, but I certainly wouldn’t change the method Notion has developed.
pcartwright

Postby ulrik » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:37 pm

pcartwright wrote:Flexibility in the sense that a good number of pieces from the 15th/16th and now 20th/21st century have unusual time markings and barline systems. Notion handles some of these time signature quirks (IMHO) better than other programs.

I agree on this.

pcartwright wrote: it takes a little time to get proficient with it, but I certainly wouldn’t change the method Notion has developed.

Is it really neccesaire for Notion to behave like this to keep the flexibility with deleting barlines?
I agree with lordpreston that it would be great if you could change the time signature and Notion would move notes according to inserted signature, over the barlines, also to be able to paste music at any beat and it will fill the bar with the right note values and exceed to next bar when the first bar is filled etc...

example: if composing a fugue, or canon and you want to copy bar 2-4 and paste it the at the second beat in bar 7 to hear the effect, If you do that in Notion today it will not work, you have to write it in, if it would be possible, this kind of operations would make writing a lot more easier and it would be easier to keep the working/composing flow IMO

All the best! / Ulrik
ulrik

Postby pcartwright » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 am

ulrik wrote:Is it really neccesaire for Notion to behave like this to keep the flexibility with deleting barlines?
I agree with lordpreston that it would be great if you could change the time signature and Notion would move notes according to inserted signature, over the barlines [...]

I can definitely see how this would be useful; I’m just saying that if I had to pick one method over the other, I’d prefer to keep the current functionality. Perhaps Notion could include a little pop up box that opens when a time signature is adjusted that gives you the option to adjust a range of measures to the new meter (with an option to ignore for those instances where you’d like to make the adjustments yourself).

ulrik wrote:[…] also to be able to paste music at any beat and it will fill the bar with the right note values and exceed to next bar when the first bar is filled etc...

Yes! +1
pcartwright

Postby 4tune » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

+1 for an extra option. There doesn`t seem to be much reason why the current way should be lost due to it , as already discussed .
4tune

Postby ulrik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:13 am

pcartwright wrote:..... Perhaps Notion could include a little pop up box that opens when a time signature is adjusted that gives you the option to adjust a range of measures to the new meter (with an option to ignore for those instances where you’d like to make the adjustments yourself).

Agreed +1 :D

cheers / Ulrik
ulrik

Return to NOTION