Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Goodbye to NOTION

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Goodbye to NOTION

Postby Raymond Robijns » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm

The last month I was struggling with NOTION. I've learned a lot from you guys, again many thanks. The project came to an end and after having collected all messages about certain "not yet available" features, I came to the conclusion that NOTION is great in performing the written notes. Writing down the notes gave me a lot of problems and the output to MIDI gave me more (even some 8va's were exported as 15va!!! can you imagine how my piano part looks like now). For your info, today I was still struggling with the problem of having the hidden things visible on my printout. I found the solution: uncheck view/show hidden elements and they aren't on the printout either.

NOTION has too many issues for my taste. As I also said in another forum, I want to write down music, not programming things to "make" it happen.

With regards and all the best,

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Re: Goodbye to NOTION

Postby pcartwright » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:31 pm

I want to echo a few points made by Raymond and counter the rest. There are definitely more “mature” notation products out there (I’m sure we can all name at least two ) which have a host of users, reviews, and tutorials touting the given program over the rest.

However, in my humble opinion, many of these mature programs are… well… mature. They have very little to give without having to rework/reformat the entire program and are (again, my opinion) very inflexible.

I applaud Notion for taking the risk and redesigning the program (by all appearances) from the ground up. Are there bugs in the program? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Always.

However, Notion is unique in that the program combines notation software with a modern home and/or project studio in mind. The rewire capabilities, though still buggy in certain instances, are still miles ahead of Sibelius and Finale (I realize that Sibelius has rewire, but the last time I tried to use Sibelius in rewire mode with any sort of DAW, I had more issues than a celebrity in rehab). The fact that we can integrate VSTis into our score and write/edit rules for them is a first as far as I’m aware.

Given the recent tutorials on rules creation; I hope Notion advances to a point where users can develop their own presets and rules files and share them on the forums. I realize that a lot of folks, Raymond included, don’t have the time or desire to write rules files, but I think there is quite a bit of interest in further customizing playback rules within the community that could address most if not all of the major VSTis on the market today (personally, I’d like to tackle rules files for Garritan’s Jazz and Big Band and Chris Hein’s Guitars).

I realize these things take time, but I also know this kind of work wouldn’t be possible at all without a stable program to use. I just want to thank the Notion team for the work they do and encourage them to keep advancing this fantastic product. I have a feeling that in a year’s time, users like Raymond may revisit Notion and be pleasantly surprised by how much it’s grown.
pcartwright

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Raymond Robijns wrote:The last month I was struggling with NOTION. I've learned a lot from you guys, again many thanks. The project came to an end and after having collected all messages about certain "not yet available" features, I came to the conclusion that NOTION is great in performing the written notes. Writing down the notes gave me a lot of problems and the output to MIDI gave me more (even some 8va's were exported as 15va!!! can you imagine how my piano part looks like now). For your info, today I was still struggling with the problem of having the hidden things visible on my printout. I found the solution: uncheck view/show hidden elements and they aren't on the printout either.

NOTION has too many issues for my taste. As I also said in another forum, I want to write down music, not programming things to "make" it happen.

With regards and all the best,

Raymond

Sorry to hear this Raymond. I assure you that we have been working hard here to improve the issues with the program, and I truly believe that it is the best option for folks who want to write using standard notation and utilize different elements of his/her DAW. Seems like you've been working hard with your recent project and maybe the answer to your frustration is to take a step away for a bit...... ;)

I would guess that you'll get more (if not just as many) issues with MIDI/XML import/export from the "other programs."

We do appreciate your input and I hope to see you around these parts again :ugeek:

Take care,
Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 pm

pcartwright wrote:The rewire capabilities, though still buggy in certain instances, are still miles ahead of Sibelius and Finale (I realize that Sibelius has rewire, but the last time I tried to use Sibelius in rewire mode with any sort of DAW, I had more issues than a celebrity in rehab).

:shock: :shock:

My point exactly....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rikp » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Bummer that you gave up on the program. I have been a Finale user since day one and I have to say that I am now using Notion more than Finale as an orchestration tool. I never thought that day would come, but it is here! I love this program, and it is far from perfect, but I really like the direction that they are heading! Bravo! Keep up the good work Notion folks. You have a new fan!

Peace

Rik p
rikp

Postby nuno Estrela » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:53 pm

I also still didn't made the complete transition to notion. I still work faster with sibelius note entry (prefer the fact that i can use only the computer keyboard, arrow keys, "r" for repeat, etc), and as a contemporary music composer i still get better score results with it. Although notion isn't steel a tool i use that mush, and although i'm not swimming in money, i bought Notion3 and would do it anytime over because of their vision and courage (for that was really important the software great price and crossgrade policies). This software has huge progression possibilities and is something fresh on the notation software picture. I do believe in this team project, and i believe i'll be using it in full very soon in time, maybe, who knows, already next version :)

Ps: to notion team- don't be afraid to bring features and stuff that work on other software.This would help other software users to make smooth transitions. Familiarity is a god thing. For instance, last week i came across musescore software (freeware). Its note entry was so similar to sibelius that i was able to work with it (with nice workflow) almost instantly, and also had this really comfortable feeling working with it. At that moment i just wished that notion would do something like that. In my opinion, what is more important in Notion, is the new concepts it brings, i don't believe it is that important to renew or innovate features that are appreciated and work fine on other software :)

Just my honest thoughts and wishes
Nuno Estrela
nuno Estrela

Postby robertwp6 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

As far as input goes, I use a gamepad made by logitech called the G13. It has a bunch of programmable keys at your left hand fingertips and a thumb operated joystick that I use to move notes for the flats and sharps. I was lightening fast on my entry with the program that I will call "The F Word". I have achieved that same speed with the game pad. This device sells for about 60 bucks and is perfect for Notion3.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards ... vices/5123

Once, when I was at Fry's computer stuff store, I found a board that had keys that were programmable and that you could place anywhere you wanted. I always thought that would be a great tool for input but it was over a hundred bucks. Too pricey to experiment.

http://shopper.cnet.com/keyboards/ergod ... 57248.html
robertwp6

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 pm

robertwp6 wrote:As far as input goes, I use a gamepad made by logitech called the G13. It has a bunch of programmable keys at your left hand fingertips and a thumb operated joystick that I use to move notes for the flats and sharps. I was lightening fast on my entry with the program that I will call "The F Word". I have achieved that same speed with the game pad. This device sells for about 60 bucks and is perfect for Notion3.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards ... vices/5123

Once, when I was at Fry's computer stuff store, I found a board that had keys that were programmable and that you could place anywhere you wanted. I always thought that would be a great tool for input but it was over a hundred bucks. Too pricey to experiment.

http://shopper.cnet.com/keyboards/ergod ... 57248.html

That is awesome!! Only $60 too.... :ugeek:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Also of interest:

http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys.php

Bill
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM