Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

A tool for creating custom external midi rules

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

A tool for creating custom external midi rules

Postby Erufailon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 am

Dear Astinov,

I've finished writing a little Java application for myself which presents a Graphical user interface to create custom rulesets for the 4 external midis.
What it does:
It parses the expressionlist.tpk file to include all the possible techniques, articulations and conditions (and I also added some which were not in that file, like under-slur).
It presents a list of the rules for each external midi port/midi channel. The user can add rules&remove rules, and move rules around with the click of a button. For each rule it presents in a list the conditions that apply to that rule (ex. if the articulation is staccato), and the actions that rule will take (ex. keyswitch 24 before the note). Conditions and actions can be added/removed from a list with the click of a button. It also maintains an instrumentlist so the user can remember easily which port/channel uses which patch.
It can read/write the .prules files, but it doesn't touch any other files, besides the parsing of the expressionlist (so my custom expressions also show up automaticaly if I change them).

Now the questions is, can I release it to the public, or would you guys have a problem with that?
Erufailon

Re: A tool for creating custom external midi rules

Postby Erufailon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Screenshots:

Instrumentlist editor

Main screen

Add a new condition

Erufailon

Postby ulrik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:40 pm

This looks fantastic :o is it possible to use it on a custom vsti as well?

regards / Ulrik
ulrik

Postby Erufailon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Only on External midi ports. There is no way in N3 that I know of to add your own VSTi with rules. You can alter the rules of the existing ones (not with this tool), but you can't add new ones.
By using the external ports you can use any 64 bit hosts though, so it's not limited by the x32 limitations of N3, which is a plus, but you only have 4x16 channels, which is enough if you use keyswitches, or cc codes, or something like that, but not enough if you want to use one articulation/midi channel. What I do is I use all my KS instruments on the external ports, and use those that don't really need rules, like drums, that don't have different articulations, or the articulations are mapped to the keyboard inside N3 as VSTi, since it's enough to just load them and assign a staff.
Erufailon

Postby ulrik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Ok, I understand, anyway it's a fantastic tool you've made, well done! :)
ulrik

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Can you explain to this out of fashion aged guy (me) the meaning of *External midi ports* vs. *Custom VST*?

How do I switch on a Midi port on a mac?

Greetings
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Erufailon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm

It works with the External Midi ports, which you can add as any other instruments in the Score editor, the last groups is called External Midi, if I remember right, click on that, then you can choose 4 ports. You can set those ports in the preferences. (For example Midi Port A is set to loopbe Internal Midi 1 for me, loopbe is a virtual midi cable that connects Notion3 to another Midi software, like standalone plugins or other hosts). At least this is how it works on windows, but it can't be much different on a Mac.

Custom VSTi would be any virtual instrument that you can load inside Notion, which is doesn't have rules defined in Notion by default. With the External port you don't load the VSTi in notion, you just use notion to send midi data to the VSTi through a virtual midi cable.
Erufailon

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:01 am

... so can I drive an instrument/library without Notion rules available for it via your tool?

Can I link those instructions to a text object on the score?

Anyway, very good job. Hope someone at Notion will pay attention to your effort at the time they will be back from MusikMesse :)

Buona giornata
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Erufailon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 am

Basicly yes, but it's still a bit technical, if I'm allowed to release it, I'll write a bit more about how the rules work.

For example, here is my ruleset to drive QL Pianos:

Erufailon

Postby Jandrop » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 am

Great! I would love it, I hope you can relase it soon.
Good job.
Jandrop

Next

Return to NOTION