Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Seeking more guitar advice

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Seeking more guitar advice

Postby Mister HU » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi. I'm trying to add a rhythmic acoustic guitar part to an orchestral score, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can simulate a realistic rhythmical guitar strumming in Notion 3. I'm not talking about how to notate it for a real guitarist - just how to make it SOUND decent in Notion.

I've tried various things, and so far, the best I've come up with is to notate every chord, add a few accents, add a few Hammer-On and Pull-Offs to get a variety of sounds and accents. Anyone got any ideas or templates that work for them?

Thanks.
Mister HU

Re: Seeking more guitar advice

Postby Bird Tune » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:32 pm

You can use arpeggios and the "let ring" function, as a start. A basic accompaniment is not an easy thing to get sounding right in Notion, if you are using full chords. If you are not careful, it sounds choppy and unnatural, not like someone playing unless you articulate the heck out of it. It does work better for some of the three fingered jazz chords and leads but I have never really had a good sound with these guitars without using at least two -- either scored as a duplicate to add richness or one scored in a slightly different way to make the sound fuller. I hope this helps. I am very interested in hearing the upcoming classical guitar.

bird tune
Bird Tune

Postby Mister HU » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks. Yes, I tried arpeggios, but for reasonably fast notes, it was a complete disaster - didn't sound good at all. If it was just one chord per bar, it would work, but not for a rhythm section. Oh, but I didn't try "let ring." Maybe I'll play with that.
Mister HU

Postby Bird Tune » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm

You are correct,arpeggios are an imperfect solution at best. Just try a lot articulations with "let ring" and good luck!

bird tune
Bird Tune

Return to NOTION